Ram Rod Holders ?'s
archerynut36
Posted 7/28/2011 3:48 PM (#509441)
Subject: Ram Rod Holders ?'s

has anyone run the ram rod holders, what do you think about them and

will they hold the Tackle Industries rods. that is my main concern. i already run salty's but they dont hold them to well becouse of the trigger guard. i have a oppertunity to get 3 of them for the boat to add to my salts but im not sure if i should get them or just pick up a few more salts and keep using my older trolling rods.. thanks guys for helping me on this....bill
AWH
Posted 7/28/2011 3:57 PM (#509444 - in reply to #509441)
Subject: Re: Ram Rod Holders ?'s

I've got them on my boat and have been very happy with them. They do hold the TI rods. But due to the thicker cork handles, it's a very tight fight. So I prefer to use other rods for the rod holders.

Aaron
Sorgy
Posted 7/28/2011 3:58 PM (#509445 - in reply to #509441)
Subject: RE: Ram Rod Holders ?'s

Have you seen the Flobe's? They work very well. I have no experience with the Ram's but I have used the Down East's. Thorne Bros turned me on to them 4 years ago- They don't tear up grips or cork like the Down East' s but lift up and to the front and they come out very quick and clean. They seemed a little sticky at first but a couple of hours of trolling and they worked much better. Not an issue with them since.
The Flobe's seem to fit my Okuma with room to spare and there is a trigger notch in the bottom as well.
I have not seen the TI rods so I don't know how much thicker the cork is.

Good Luck

Steve

archerynut36
Posted 7/28/2011 4:21 PM (#509448 - in reply to #509441)

well the TI rods do have the thicker cork on them but thats not my problem. the problem is the trigger guard( the salty's do have the cut out for them ) just not wide enough for the trigger on the ti rods and i dont want to cut them. but one thing i am always worried about is loosing a rod and the rams and flobe's are plastic. i really dont want to go back to tying rods off like i have many years ago. iv been using salt's for 7 years now and i do love them, but the rams do come with the pedistal on them and i cn get them up and out or down close to the boat so i can make them do what i want without having problems. the salts can do that too but they are not raised for changing the angle of the rod much and they will be the back rods and the rams will be my board rods and shortlinning down rods if i prefer
lambeau
Posted 7/28/2011 4:21 PM (#509449 - in reply to #509441)

i've used and owned Scotty, Down-East, Ram, and Folbe rod holders.

the Scotty's are easy to get big rods in and out, but they break easily especially in the cold and the notches for holding them in position start to wear and strip out with regular use.

the Down-East are very sturdy and hold the rods securely; they can be too small for rods with thick handles, and they can be tough to open when under load. also if the internal pin gets bent over time they get even tougher to open.

the Ram are versatile and easy to mount/dismount, plus they hold most rods well. they work best with smaller or easy-pulling baits; under heavy load they will turn and rotate out of position on the Ram ball no matter how snugly you tighten it. (i have the heavier ones...i think there are some cheaper (plastic?) ones and some pricier stronger ones?)

the Folbe are a combination of all the good characteristics of the other ones: they're strong and hold the rod securely (don't feel "plastic" at all...the material is some kind of composite maybe?), big enough to handle most size rods, stick to one position under load, and have a unique hinge design that allows you to pull rods under load without having to fight the pressure of the lure or fish. on the down side they're expensive - but worth it.

archerynut36
Posted 7/28/2011 4:27 PM (#509451 - in reply to #509441)

hey mike these are the ones i am looking at getting from another member.
also i still have some older mounts from the atwoods pro that i had hears ago will these work in those too

http://www.ram-mount.com/CatalogResults/PartDetails/tabid/63/partid...
shaley
Posted 7/28/2011 4:54 PM (#509454 - in reply to #509451)

The Ram 2000's on my old rig did not fir in Atwood or Scotty bases.
archerynut36
Posted 7/28/2011 4:57 PM (#509457 - in reply to #509441)

ok thanks, i was just asking these do come with the side mounts but i like the flush mounts, but the tite loc company who maes darn good track just 20 minuits from me i am gonna go up there and pick up 2 more tracks and then i will have to get the track mounts from ram( if they fit) and just use them i guess
missourimuskyhunter
Posted 7/28/2011 9:20 PM (#509491 - in reply to #509441)

Bill,you can grind the area where the trigger of the rod lays in the Saltys until they fit down in there.Just grind both sides until it fits in there like it should and file any rough spots down and if there the powder coated just touch up with some black paint..worked for me.

Fred
Pikopath
Posted 7/29/2011 12:53 AM (#509511 - in reply to #509441)

Ive been using these: http://www.ram-mount.com/CatalogResults/PartDetails/tabid/63/partid... with my MI Heavy Rods and planerboards. They have worked great, and they have a slot/room for triggers. For planerboard trolling, I lock them sp they act like a tube, and for flat line trolling, I use the clamp function. They are made of some composite and seem pretty sturdy.

Michael
lambeau
Posted 7/29/2011 9:38 AM (#509537 - in reply to #509441)

somebody who trolls more than me can speak better to this, but i've been through most of the brands and i don't think you'll be happy with the less sturdy rod holders. a rod holder designed for walleye fishing (Scotty, Attwood, Ram freshwater) is a very different piece of equipment than those designed for salmon or inshore uses (Folbe, Salty Down-east, Ram saltwater)...and muskie baits can pull pretty hard.

i poked around the RAM site a bit. the first ones i bought were the freshwater version that is plastic (the one Bill's link goes to). i was disappointed in them because i experienced a lot of twist in the pole/height extenders which puts your rods and baits out of alignment when running a spread. i switched to the heavier ones with powder-coated aluminum...it looks like those are the saltwater version. these were studier and didn't have the twisting issue when pulling heavy baits, but instead they rotated on the ball (i have ball-mount rail adapter versions).  http://www.ram-mount.com/CatalogResults/PartDetails/tabid/63/partid/082065077045049049055083087085/Default.aspx

the Folbe's i'm using now are rail-mounted into slots with a locking clip. the height extensions (4" or 8 1/2") don't twist even with hard-pulling baits. the price is comparable to the salt-water RAM mounts, but i like them wayyyyy better. http://www.folbe.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2&zenid=svfl52mso18v03l8co6mpb52c5

Reef Hawg
Posted 7/29/2011 11:32 AM (#509569 - in reply to #509441)

Ran the Rams, scottys and Down East before settling on Folbe. Simply the toughest, easiest to use rod holders I've found. Bult for big kings on the atlantic, they've held up great for 5 years running now.
pepsiboy
Posted 7/29/2011 11:41 AM (#509571 - in reply to #509441)

if a ti rods fit inside a down east get the down east!
every power troller from east are using down east,reason is simple they are the only thrustable one money can buy,they will never fail on ya
jdsplasher
Posted 7/29/2011 9:06 PM (#509636 - in reply to #509571)

I had a down east rod holder break on a snag one year. Yes, it broke before the Lami rod or 80lb test. The anti reverse failed, backlashed, then the aluminum rod holder snapped. Sent the item back and the company did not stand good for the product. I will not own another Down east.

I got about 2,000 musky on my rams. Lambeau is right. They do rotate on the post. I drill a hole in the post and put a spring pin in so it does not rotate. I love the Rams.

The one you showed in the pic with the elevated post is used by a famous guide on LOTW's. I know he likes Ram also.

I will also talk highly of the Folbe, They are Awesome holders. Everyone that owns a Folbe seems to love them.

Targa01
Posted 7/30/2011 12:38 AM (#509661 - in reply to #509441)

Bill I have the originals, not the 2000's, but they are very similar in build. I haven't had any issues with them and I do a fair amount of trolling; open water and structure such as LOTW/Vermilion. I've never been worried with fish hitting but they will twist when getting snagged up. All depends on how much drag you run while trolling. They are a more flexible composite (reinforced) type plastic and not the more rigid/hard plastic like the Scotty's. Easy to get the rods out quick even when snagged up. Like most said there are better holders out there but you will be fine with these.
archerynut36
Posted 7/30/2011 10:34 AM (#509677 - in reply to #509441)

thanks guys i do love my salts but i am wnting to add a few more to my setup and these sould do for now, the ones i found are a good price and cant pass them up, the saltys are running 40 a peice and i already have 4 of them, i will be mailnly using these for my board rods and maybee a few more close short lined rods on wire for being close to the boat.. thanks guys ..
and targa i have always trolled with a just above easy drag so i dont loose rods just enough for the fish to get a good rip , i have learned in the past on that one...bill
archerynut36
Posted 8/25/2011 7:15 PM (#513632 - in reply to #509441)

well i have everything ready to go just waiting on my track holders for the ram's that go into my tite-loc tracks(backorders) but my next question, they do hold the rods well and i believe they will work good for what i need them for(planer rods). i have another question though. i want to maybee sometime use nthem as down rod holders too becouse we get alot of crap ontop of water, will these holders hold up to that. looks like they will, but the rod strap thing i am not sure of, have they ever popped open on anyone..bill