Rod question
UF34Phillips
Posted 6/6/2011 2:35 PM (#501546)
Subject: Rod question

I'm stuck on two rods currently and am not sure which one would be best.

Either the St.Croix Musky Mojo- 8'

or the TI removable handle 8'6"/9'

I will primarily use this rod to cast medium to large size bucktails and also looking for the ability to throw bulldogs.

Thanks for the help!
twells
Posted 6/6/2011 4:13 PM (#501560 - in reply to #501546)
Subject: RE: Rod question

If between those 2 choices. I would opt for the TI.
Rebel9921
Posted 6/6/2011 4:21 PM (#501561 - in reply to #501546)
Subject: Re: Rod question

Instead of the removable handle version of TI, I would recommend the telescoping version... I have two XXH, one is regulated to bucktails/DCG/DSG duty while other is regulated to Rubbers/heavy jerk-twitch baits... I absolutely love those rods... For the price, it definitely brings you a big bang...

One has a Trinidad 16NA mated to it while other has Okuma Cedros mated to it... Total dream, I tell you!!!
PSYS
Posted 6/6/2011 6:25 PM (#501574 - in reply to #501546)

If it is between these two choices, I'd go for the TI.
thrax_johnson
Posted 6/6/2011 8:23 PM (#501584 - in reply to #501546)

TI all the way, telescopic.
Zib
Posted 6/6/2011 9:13 PM (#501587 - in reply to #501546)

Go with the TI telescopic.
Cowboyhannah
Posted 6/6/2011 9:36 PM (#501590 - in reply to #501546)

Well I've been watching a lot of positive posts on the TIs and did pick up an XH 9' telescopic for tossing pounders and mags. I was recently able to put it to use and am very happy with it's performance. This is my first XH rod and it sure is nice to have the confidence to toss bigger baits without worrying if the rod can withstand the load. I will be a repeat buyer.
curleytail
Posted 6/6/2011 10:30 PM (#501597 - in reply to #501546)

The TI rod sounds perfect for this. Hard to believe, but I find my 1 8 foot rod feeling a little short, especially for bucktails. I'm sure the removable handle TI rod is just great, but I have the telescopic XH 9 footer. I haven't used it a TON yet, but have a few hours on it and am finding myself more impressed with it with each cast.

I NEVER thought you would be able to drive a Cowgirl into a fairly stiff headwind and have at least decent cast length with no backlast. In neutral wind, you can really send them sailing, and with a slight tailwind, you'll just about need binoculars to see where your Cowgirl ends up. Ok, maybe a little exaggeration there, but I am impressed how well they cast a Cowgirl.

At the close end of the cast, they figure 8 well. Don't load up like crazy. I love how the tip on these rods is soft enough for easy casting yet they also have some serios backbone. Unfortunately I have not had a chance to see how they handle a fish, but if you are using a double 10 and give it a hard rip to clear weeds, you can really feel a stout backbone.

I have tossed a mag dawg and double dawg with mine and it handles them well too. My new TI rod is quickly becoming one of my favorites.

Oh yeah, I don't get paid to say any of this, though it would be nice, lol!

Tucker
UF34Phillips
Posted 6/7/2011 10:23 AM (#501639 - in reply to #501546)

Thanks for all the input!
I was wondering with your TI rods did you get the regular fat cork or the split grip? Just wondering what some of your experiences were with the split grip feel as I have never tried one yet but always have been interested in seeing what they have to offer.
Also am indifferent about the XH or the XXH. Is the XH really able to handle the mag dawg and double dawgs with ease??