HDS vs LCX
joe1977
Posted 5/8/2011 1:12 AM (#497317)
Subject: HDS vs LCX

I was fishing with my brother in law today and he told me I should get a new HDS unit. When I asked him why, he told me they were a lot better, but he could not give me a clear reason. What are the advantages other than the structure scan capabilities?
esoxfly
Posted 5/8/2011 7:58 AM (#497337 - in reply to #497317)
Subject: RE: HDS vs LCX

They're cooler! 

Lol, nah, the HDS will support a whole slew of add-ons from Sirrious to Sonic Hub.  The broad band sonar is a big improvement over the LCX if you ask me.  There's others, but these are the ones I'm familiar with off the top of my head.  Then there's screen resolution, the hot keys, bigger hard drives, insight, etc... And I'm sure there's others.  But don't discount the LCX.  I used LCX for a long time and actually hated to see them go, as I felt they just had the bugs worked out!  The problem with LCX is that you're going to have a hard time getting them serviced by Lowrance now.  I had a 27C that just last summer crapped itself and when I called, it was going to be $320 to fix it...or they could sell me an HDS7 for $500.  Their support for LCX is going to be drying up very quickly.

TJ DeVoe
Posted 5/8/2011 8:31 AM (#497346 - in reply to #497337)
Subject: Re: HDS vs LCX

I second what Efly said. One of the biggest differences is that they are much faster. When you add the LGC-4000 gps puck, it'll update 5 times a second compared to 1 time per second with other brands or the LCX units.

As Efly said, the HDS gives you so many options in the way of add-on features it's unreal. The great thing is, even if you can't afford the StructureScan, the Sonic Hub, Sirius weather or any of the other add-ons, they off can be added anytime.

I also personally think you'll find the overall sonar much better than the LCX or any other unit better in my opinion. Whatever you decide, both units will treat well, but if you have options and you have a decision to make, the HDS is definitley the way to go.