Temp Gauge Beeping
dh buc
Posted 4/30/2011 3:24 PM (#496096)
Subject: Temp Gauge Beeping

O.K. here is one for you tech minded people. The last time in late fall of last year, the temp gauge peeps while going to the landing to put the boat away for the season. I checked to see if the water was coming out. Not a problem. Felt the water to see if it was really warm. It was not. So this weekend I put the muffs on it in the drive way and sure enough it happens again. It is a 60 Suzuki tiller. Took it up to Plowman's (Woodroof) to have it looked at. They think it may be a stuck or shot themostate, but won't know till they get a tech on it. Any ideas out there of what it could be? or has this happened to anyone. It is a 2006 model. The motor runs fine.
RubberUpRacer39
Posted 4/30/2011 4:11 PM (#496101 - in reply to #496096)
Subject: Re: Temp Gauge Beeping

I had a problem similar with my evinrude last year. At idle or slow speeds it would beep at me. If i gave it more throttle it would go away. Turns out the water pump impeller was bad. Replaced it and the thermostat while I was working on it. Works great now.
Fishkabibble
Posted 5/1/2011 4:20 PM (#496255 - in reply to #496096)

I would pull the lower unit and replace the impeller. It's a simple job you could do yourself and save some money.
Propster
Posted 5/1/2011 9:56 PM (#496311 - in reply to #496096)

Similar deal to Rubber, mine did it off and on at slower speeds, not at high. Turned out to be the impeller, I think at higher speed it moves more water and keeps the alarm from going off. Only difference, my pee stream was warm.
little one
Posted 5/5/2011 4:54 AM (#496910 - in reply to #496096)
Subject: RE: Temp Gauge Beeping

Same thing here with a merc 60 4 stroke. Replaced the impeller and it is all good now.
The Wanderer
Posted 5/5/2011 5:44 PM (#497026 - in reply to #496910)

Same thing happened with my 115 Merc ELPTO. At lower rpm's the temp alarm would go off, and at higher rpm's it wouldn't. The higher the rpm's the faster the impeller goes, pushing more water through to cool the engine more. It turned out that my impeller was in bad shape. Got a new impeller, and problem solved.
Good luck
dh buc
Posted 5/10/2011 1:45 AM (#497644 - in reply to #496096)

All of you guys I thought were right. Plowman's called and said it was fixed. It was an adjustment to the Air Intake Valve. Their computer said it was one or two degrees hotter than normal and that was enough to set off the alarm. They said that it needs to be adjusted after alot of use sometimes. The jet stream and pressure of water discharge was all normal. No need to replace impeller. Go figure.
dh buc
Posted 5/23/2011 6:09 PM (#499631 - in reply to #497644)

Plowman diagnosed it as a IAC valve that needed adjustment. Engine ran at 131 degrees which they said was fine. Adjusted it and it was back in the water Saturday. No problems until Sunday when I was coming in to the shore station and it goes off again. Put it on the lift and started it and no beeping. Called Plowman's today and told them the dilema. They said to just monitor. I asked them if the impeller should be replaced. They said the pressure check from the computer said it was O.K. Your thoughts???? Could it be the gauge?
muskie-addict
Posted 5/24/2011 5:01 PM (#499801 - in reply to #499631)

Unsure where an Air Intake Valve is, although I'll assume its not inside the lower unit and is prolly under the clam shell. I guess no matter where it is, its an easy job and a shop that's diagnosing something that seems related to temp might just go ahead and replace the thing anyway if its been a few years.

Obviously I don't run a marine shop, but spark plugs and impellers are the two things that are pretty much automatics when you take a motor in. Just kind of strikes me funny that they wouldn't have even tried to sell you one.

I guess if it were me, I'd either pay to have the impeller put in, or I'd enlist some help in doing it in the garage.

Good luck. Just make sure you put it in the right way. Taking a photo of how it sits in there before you remove the old one should help. Pretty easy job once you've done it once, but its a two-man job to get all the guts lined up right when you're done and putting the lower unit back on.

-Eric