Kicker motors.... Do's and Dont's?
Great Big
Posted 4/5/2011 8:59 PM (#490930)
Subject: Kicker motors.... Do's and Dont's?

Thanks everyone for all the info provided on my previous post regarding the boat. Now onto kicker motors:

How many guys use one of these for trolling instead of the bigger motor?

For a 20' boat, what's the most appropriate size? I was thinking of a 9.9.

Is it standard or the best way to have this kicker linked to the main outboard for steering purposes or is tiller steer better?

What's an average cost increase when adding (10HP) kicker to a new boat?

Does anyone use this a the main motor on smaller lakes restricted to 10 HP and under? How slow is top speed? How is the steering with the motor mounted off center on the transom?

Any other info, tips, or suggestions regarding kicker motors appreciated.

Thanks.
Marshall
Posted 4/5/2011 9:16 PM (#490933 - in reply to #490930)
Subject: Re: Kicker motors.... Do's and Dont's?

I have a 620 with an 8hp Yamaha 4 stroke and it seems to work just fine. You won't be breaking any speed records, but it will consistently push the boat at 6-7 mph at full throttle, and I have never been in a situation where I didn't feel that it was adequate. I have my controls at the console and personally wouldnt have it any other way. I am sure some people would prefer the tiller option, but not me...I like sitting at the console. Plus I have the casting deck installed so I would have to sit cross legged. I haven't every been on a motor restricted lake, but for years, most of my fishing, in my old stomping grounds, was done on no wake lakes, so it made more sense to use the kicker instead of running the 225 at idle rpm's. Muuch better on fuel as well. Can't comment on the cost as I purchased my boat used and it was already on it.
LonLB
Posted 4/6/2011 2:05 AM (#490961 - in reply to #490933)

My advice.

Tiller. If you have to have control over the motor without the tiller the Panther electric steering would be nice. Basically a setup for your kicker similar to the Co-Pilot that Minn Kota has.
I just personally don't like the idea of being tied down to the console area for steering.

Check the number of cylinders. My last kicker was an 8hp Merc 4stroke. It was a single cylinder. I knew all of this going in, but a single cylinder WILL be more rough than a multi cylinder.
All the 9.9's that I know of are two cylinders.

Probably not quite as important for Muskie, but a nice thing I want to try on my next kicker is a Troll Master digital throttle. It will let you make very, very small adjustments to throttle position.
http://troll-masterpro.com/

Finally consider the Main engine power. I assume based on your boat thread that you will be buying new so this isn't an issue for you, but I'll throw it out there.
If you have an oil injected 2 stroke main engine, AND a 2 stroke kicker you will need a separate fuel supply, because the main tank is full of gasolene not pre-mix.
This pretty much makes a 4 stroke kicker a necessity. On something older you could eliminate the oil injection, and run pre-mix in the tank, for both engines.

If your using a 4 stroke as the main engine, the decision is even more of a no-brainer.
Me being broke, and cheap, I'm going to run pre-mix in my main tank, for the main power, and a Evinrude 9.9 two stroke.

As for using it, it has more uses than just trolling. For one you have a back up source of power should your main power fail out in BFE. MAJOR security there IMO. I've been broken down in BFE in vehicles before and it stinks so no desire to be "stuck" in a boat.

I used mine the most for controlling the boat into the wind. Even more so than trolling. With a combination of kicker, and powerfull bow mount, you can control your boat in conditions that are no longer safe to stand on the deck and cast. In other words, YOU win the battle vs the wind.

As for cost.....As low as $1000 for an older used, but good running engine, and some fuel line, to I would guess over $5-7k.

I always feel the need to point out that you don't have to spend the big bucks on equipment so: I'm looking for an older 9.9 Johnson/Evinrude 2 stroke. Phenomenal engines, big gear case, and run forever. I'll add electric start, and a Troll Master throttle to it, along with a tiller handle extension and still likely come in under $1500
Another nice thing about these motors, is that if you do fish HP restricted lakes, or just feel you need more power, you can convert the 9.9hp to a 15hp with a carb change. Also Boyeson's power reeds are supposed to smooth out idle, increase throttle response, and make starting easier. I've never used them, but I'm going to on my main engine, and the kicker. Reviews online seem pretty convincing.

Edited by LonLB 4/6/2011 2:24 AM
Great Big
Posted 4/6/2011 3:58 AM (#490964 - in reply to #490961)

Thanks Lon. I value the advice of those with experience. Great tips.
Almost-B-Good
Posted 4/6/2011 7:00 AM (#490973 - in reply to #490930)
Subject: RE: Kicker motors.... Do's and Dont's?

Depends on how you troll. If you troll like I do, then I wouldn't even consider anything less than a 15HP on a boat 20' or larger. I ran a 15hp 2 stroke then a 15hp 4 stroke on an 18.5' Alumacraft for 17 years. The 2 stroke gave me about 7.2 mph if everything was balanced perfectly and the big motor was up. The 4 stroke ran about 6.4 with the same setup. Now I've got a Merc 9.9 4 stroke on a 19 foot Tuffy and it struggles to get up past 5 mph. That is just not enough even with a light 19 footer. When you make sharp turns and goose it the lure speed still falls off too much, whereas the 15 2 stroke had the balls to keep your lure chugging along a 5 mph even on turns. If you just troll straight lines in open water it doesn't make as much difference.

Pricewise, figure 3-4K bucks from the dealer for a new 9.9 kicker motor.

15's now are behemoths compared to the older 2 strokes from the early nineties and before. I'll say it right now, when it comes to kickers for musky fishing, the people designing the motors are completely in the dark. They have no concept of what a good kicker should do or how big it should be. To them bigger and heavier seem to be the goal now. If I remember right, the 4 stroke Merc 15 was about 150 pounds and the new E-TEC two stroke is around 180 pounds. My old 50hp longshaft tiller with a V4 gearcase was only 202 pounds! Years ago 15's were hot 9.9's, and now they are detuned 25's. Go figure!
RJ
Posted 4/6/2011 8:20 AM (#490985 - in reply to #490961)

LonLB - 4/6/2011 2:05 AM
a 2 stroke kicker you will need a separate fuel supply, because the main tank is full of gasolene not pre-mix.

Not necessarily true, I have a 9.9 Evinrude kicker on my 692 and it is tied into the oil supply of the main motor (175 Fastrike).

I am just as happy with this setup as I was when I had a Yammi T8 on a different boat.

Regardless, I agree you do not want to have a seperate fuel supply. For me part of having a kicker is back up power, and I like having access to 30 gallons when up in BFE and find a rock.
LonLB
Posted 4/6/2011 10:49 AM (#491014 - in reply to #490985)

RJ - 4/6/2011 9:20 AM

LonLB - 4/6/2011 2:05 AM
a 2 stroke kicker you will need a separate fuel supply, because the main tank is full of gasolene not pre-mix.

Not necessarily true, I have a 9.9 Evinrude kicker on my 692 and it is tied into the oil supply of the main motor (175 Fastrike).

I am just as happy with this setup as I was when I had a Yammi T8 on a different boat.

Regardless, I agree you do not want to have a seperate fuel supply. For me part of having a kicker is back up power, and I like having access to 30 gallons when up in BFE and find a rock.

Anymore info on this. Never heard of someone doing this.
Jnewgard
Posted 4/6/2011 11:20 AM (#491022 - in reply to #490930)

I would suggest a Mercury pro kicker. You can buy them from any Tracker dealer cheaper than another point of distribution. They get a better rate than anyone else in the country because of the # of unit's they purchase. They can get you whichever Mercury you want for a great price.
bturg
Posted 4/6/2011 4:36 PM (#491083 - in reply to #490930)

Lon my 15HO etec is rigged right to the gas and oil tanks so no pre-mix is required.

One thing to consider if you fish regularly in sub freezing temps.... after having my bow mount bracket ice up a few times I started using my kicker for boat control on super cold days...old school. In that situation a tiller is way better and for me it is the only way I would have one. The thing I liked the best about the Etec was the fuel injection...it started very well on cold days...not something the carbed 4 stroke mtrs I have had previously did very well. The 15ho would push my 621 to just over 7mph with the factory setup.

Apples Oranges and Grapes so figure out how you want to use it, the setup you prefer and how much weight etc is a factor for you....some boats handle weight better than others.

Edited by bturg 4/6/2011 4:38 PM
dougj
Posted 4/6/2011 6:11 PM (#491108 - in reply to #490930)
Subject: RE: Kicker motors.... Do's and Dont's?

If you are going to use it for trolling and use the tiller, set the kicker on the drivers side so you can see your electronics in the dash. Unless you have a depth finder somewhere that you can easily see it's really hard to troll.

Doug Johnson