lower unit oil
slingblade
Posted 4/1/2011 6:25 PM (#490210)
Subject: lower unit oil

Quick question for anyone with outboard knowledge. I have a 2008 Mercury Opti 115hp. Put it in the river Wed for the 1st time this year, it started and idled fine, I opened it up, went about 500yds and it died, I pumped the bulb which had no pressure, started right back up, ran it for about 500yds and it died, tried pumping bulb again, this time it was firm, started it and idled for about 1/2mi, ran fine, I opened it up and it died again, I then ran it half throttle for a ways and it continued to run so I opened it up again and it hasnt done it since, been out twice since then. Thoughts? I lied, I have 2 questions. Next, I noticed the motor makes a clicking noise when in gear at low RPM's I suspect it does at high RPM as well but am unable to hear it, only does it when in gear. Out of the water, the prop spins freely while in neutral but when in gear it makes the clicking noise when spun by hand and not running. I checked lower unit oil, which was 90% full, but I noticed some silver particles in the oil, very small but still visible. I also spun the prop by hand on my 9.9hp and it makes the same noise. Is this normal or is there a problem? Thanks.
archerynut36
Posted 4/1/2011 6:34 PM (#490214 - in reply to #490210)
Subject: Re: lower unit oil

well my 98 opti 135 did the same problem and at first it was the main electronic presure fuel pump then it did it again and it was the primer bulb.... and as for the oil its usual to see some particles in the oil stuck to the magnetic scrrw, you will get wear in there, and it has to have air in the top part of the lower case for exspansion of the oil at different outside temps, at least thats what i was told once,,

i would suggest to get it in and have it looked at, but u can start with a good primer bulb,, preferally a quicksilver/mercury brand, dont go cheap thats what cost me 275.00 to find out once