Okuma Prove You Want a Reel Contest Winner is....
Slamr
Posted 3/28/2011 12:54 PM (#489440)
Subject: Okuma Prove You Want a Reel Contest Winner is....

Adamsnez with a beauty of an entry. Also recieiving honorable mention would be: Madhatter, LOTWsBeachBum, Got Esox and MuskySkunk. Kiss a little behind here and maybe these not so fortunate others might just recieve something....

And best quote: (by Will Schultz) Knibb Highschool Football rules!
But allow me to retort: what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Adamsnez - contact Mark Rogers (California Muskie) via PM here on M1st to recieve your winnings!

But here's the winning entry:

I never should have read this thread...
No, wait..I never should have showed my girlfriend (my fishing partner / life partner) this thread.

We've all heard the saying, "desperate times call for desperate measures".

It happened in the movie "Alive" where they almost starve to death, so resulted to cannablism.
I'm sure it's happened in ALL your boats at one point or another; where you couldn't even catch a cold on a windy+rainy day (yet alone any fish!) so you throw every lure you have, even a MacGyvered bucktail you so cleverly made from a coat hanger, two spoons (approximately "size10 blade") and that old toupee sitting in your closet you never wear after everyone laughed the first time you wore it, HOPING a muskie will go for it since it's never seen such a 'creation'...or lack there of. (nice run on sentence there, thanks to the power of the 'comma')
And now it's happening to me.
I'm left with no other option but to plead my case and helplessly [yet shamelessly....save pride] beg, and i mean BEG to win this contest.

In short, my girlfriend needs new gear. She just can't take the little shots I give her about her less-than-stellar gear anymore. All in good fun, but I think it's breaking her a bit every time I let words fly. Months of payback on her behalf, all channeled towards this contest. Her exact words? "Win me that reel, or it's the dog house for you, mister! I don't care what you have to do to win. Prove to me I'm worth it."

Okuma, Slamr, and Mr. Rogers, you don't personally know me, but put yourself in my shoes.
I would like to take this opportunity to quote the famous poem by Robert Frost, "The Road Not Taken" (link below)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Road_Not_Taken_%28poem%29

For those unfamiliar with this poem, it starts off
"Two roads diverged in a yellow wood."
(enter Slamr and Mr. Rogers)
The aforementioned 'yellow wood' is essentially synonymous to MuskieFirst in the sense they both offer a place we fellow muskie hunters seek refuge, and peace in going to, for whatever reason that may be.
Now, Slamr, Mr. Rogers, you're at the fork in the path. One route triumphantly glows "winner", the other "better luck next time."
The future with my girlfriend remains rockier than many Lac Seul drop-off points. Well, at least until I have received (assuming I do. One must never doubt themselves to prevail in a world so longing to watch us fail.) the Isis400 for my girl (bless her evil heart).

How will this reel help the world? Indirectly, yet evidently so. I will still be with my girlfriend (once again, my fishing partner!) who I love to no-limits. I will have accomplished what every male tries to when courting a mate; showing her that I AM the alpha-male and will prevail when faced with any challenge in life.
/queue chest pound action like a gorilla.
I will not have sunk into that deep depression of having 'failure' loom over my head any time in her presence. There are too many people in my life who care for me for that to happen. I'm a happy-go-lucky go, please don't take that away from me.
Fishing related? Possibly sell a few extra units for Okuma as well.
/while fishing, "Hey bro, check out this sweet reel. Check out the gearing on this baby. Pretty slick eh? Go pick one up." Shameless promotion by your street-team a la me (or water-team?).

As for the required pic, thank you bloody-decks member for helping me win the Isis400. Gratitude sent in advance to you, and the judges. TIGHT LINES!

LOTWbeachbum
Posted 3/28/2011 2:37 PM (#489456 - in reply to #489440)
Subject: RE: Okuma Prove You Want a Reel Contest Winner is....

Well Slamr and California Muskie, yours was not a position I envied. Choosing between the high caliber entries you received was sure to be a daunting task.
I am a teacher myself and find that grading written compositions is a task better suited for those horn-rimmed glasses wearing, red pen choking, smell of old books, English Department type. Good job and thank you for another fine run contest.

Adamsnez - congrats to you my brother. (May your girlfriend's new reel be infested with the swarm of a million rats nests and emanate the unrelenting smell of pavement cooked opossum.) Oppps... did I say that out loud? Sorry, what I meant to say was... yours is a battle well played sir. Poetry + "DogHouse/Poor Me" card = Tiger Blood Winning! All the best in the years to come with you and yours. I hope she's a good gal and I hope you two share many a blessed sunsets with her at your side chucking lures. Perhaps she'll let you "wear the pants" from time to time.

In another ironic twist - after 8 years as an assistant, I have recently been named the Head High School Football Coach in the district that I teach. Knibb High School Football does rule! (No I don't teach @ Knibb but if I did - oh that Veronica Vaughan - I would love to share a Snack Pack with her!))

To paraphrase another epic High School football movie hero - my main man, Randall Pink Floyd from Dazed and Confused says, "I may play ball next fall, but I will never sign that. Now me and my loser friends are gonna head out to buy Aerosmith tickets. Top priority of the summer besides catching more Muskies."
(I think that's how I remember it?)
Out
adamsnez
Posted 3/28/2011 2:50 PM (#489459 - in reply to #489456)
Subject: Re: Okuma Prove You Want a Reel Contest Winner is....

wow. just wow. i'm touched and astounded you guys selected me. huge thanks. wow again.
i think it was the "rocky Lac Seul" comparison that iced the cake six times over.
as soon as i saw this new thread i casually popped in and honestly did not expect that.....
Sharptooth
Posted 3/28/2011 3:42 PM (#489469 - in reply to #489459)
Subject: Re: Okuma Prove You Want a Reel Contest Winner is....

Congrats adamsnez!
LOTWbeachbums Wife!
Posted 3/29/2011 3:28 PM (#489644 - in reply to #489440)

My husband will always be a bridesmaid and never a bride......... I would have really appreciated you picking him to win this reel, as he stated, I send him off to these Muskie banquets with dreams and visions of him coming home a big winner and for the past 4 years, he had come home with some "girls gone wild fishing calendar" with swimsuit models from the late '80's.

Then the saddest thing is watching his face when I ask him if he won anything on Sunday afternoon when he walks in the door from the banquet....

Help this man become a BRIDE and win something! Keep him in mind for the next reel~

The wife of a muskie maniac,
MLK
esoxaddict
Posted 3/29/2011 3:54 PM (#489648 - in reply to #489644)

LOTWbeachbums Wife! - 3/29/2011 3:28 PM

My husband will always be a bridesmaid and never a bride......... I would have really appreciated you picking him to win this reel, as he stated, I send him off to these Muskie banquets with dreams and visions of him coming home a big winner and for the past 4 years, he had come home with some "girls gone wild fishing calendar" with swimsuit models from the late '80's.

Then the saddest thing is watching his face when I ask him if he won anything on Sunday afternoon when he walks in the door from the banquet....

Help this man become a BRIDE and win something! Keep him in mind for the next reel~

The wife of a muskie maniac,
MLK

Did you ever ask him how many tickets he put in the calendar bucket?
musky-skunk
Posted 3/30/2011 8:24 AM (#489736 - in reply to #489440)

Congrats adamsnez! Now the woman and you can be on great terms! Lol. I wouldn't want to have judged this one either. A LOT of really funny and well thought out posts. Thank you Okuma and Muskiefirst for the opportunity!

Andy