Stowmaster and Power Stow
rook
Posted 3/27/2011 9:21 AM (#489202)
Subject: Stowmaster and Power Stow

Anyone know the differences btwn Stowmaster and Frabill's Power Stow nets? Would likely be ordering online so don't have the benefit of seeing first hand...?

Also - size recommendations? There seem to be 2 sizes for musky.
sworrall
Posted 3/27/2011 9:29 AM (#489206 - in reply to #489202)
Subject: Re: Stowmaster and Power Stow

Buy the Frabill. Very nice net at a great price by a company with stellar customer service. I like the 30"X32".
Posted 3/27/2011 9:39 AM (#489209 - in reply to #489206)

Any difference between the 2, Steve? Is the net similar? (have friends who aren't fans of the stowmaster mesh) Weight?
lambeau
Posted 3/27/2011 10:07 AM (#489219 - in reply to #489209)

Guest - 3/27/2011 9:39 AM Any difference between the 2, Steve? Is the net similar? (have friends who aren't fans of the stowmaster mesh) Weight?

the Stowmaster design works great. however, i didn't like the small mesh because the hooks get tangled up in it every single time you put a fish in the bag, something that stresses fish due to extended unhooking times and the lure would sometimes hold the fish's head out of the water. this happened pretty much every single time. so, i bought a replacement Frabill net bag with 1 3/4" coated nylon mesh and put it on my Stowmaster frame. i now have the perfect net...but had to pay "twice" for it.

of course, that was before Frabill got on board with a foldable net of their own. the one limitation on these new Power Stow nets is that although they have the larger mesh, it looks like they used a lighter/thinner material on the net bags rather than the coated nylon that comes on the Power Catch. i find the thicker coated net bags are more fish-friendly and do less fin damage. so close, so close...

h2o.
Posted 3/27/2011 10:19 AM (#489223 - in reply to #489202)
Subject: RE: Stowmaster and Power Stow

I have both Stowmaster's, TS94IM and TS116Y. Get the TS116Y , its perfect for musky and it should last you your life time, I'm sure it will for me.

Ts94IM with a 30''X32'' is way to small for any fish over 40 inches. I use mine for bass, pike and walleye

http://stowmaster.norsemenoutdoors.com/shop/muskie-net

sworrall
Posted 3/27/2011 12:04 PM (#489239 - in reply to #489202)

The Frabill will last you a lifetime.

The 30"X32" is in no way 'too small' for muskies; the opening is fine and bag plenty deep enough, especially considering most who are looking at this net want a compact design. If you want a larger net, they certainly offer one for you.

I actually assisted in getting Frabill and Stowmaster 'together', and that's why Frabill now offers this series.

The bag is tangle free and knot free; the reason the bag material is not as heavy as the Powercatch series is so the net can be folded and stowed easily. The bag is plenty tough enough for Muskies and Pike. It's knots and mesh size that does the fin damage, and some of the heavier netting that looks much like the Powercatch netting competitors have offered can tear up the fish pretty good because the coating is so abrasive.

Here's what Frabill offers:
http://www.frabill.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=Powerstow%20net

lambeau
Posted 3/27/2011 2:34 PM (#489277 - in reply to #489202)

i've had one or two fish that are a few inches over 40 in my Stowmaster TS94. they all went into it just fine...plus the larger nets such as the TS116 or a Big Kahuna are challenging to use when you are fishing alone. imho, on these big nets the size of the hoop really isn't as important as depth of the bag anyway. they're all plenty big "around" for a trophy fish, but it needs to be "deep" enough to be down in the water when it's hanging over the side of your boat holding a fish.

4amuskie
Posted 3/27/2011 6:25 PM (#489318 - in reply to #489277)

lambeau - 3/27/2011 2:34 PM

i've had one or two fish that are a few inches over 40 in my Stowmaster TS94. they all went into it just fine...plus the larger nets such as the TS116 or a Big Kahuna are challenging to use when you are fishing alone. imho, on these big nets the size of the hoop really isn't as important as depth of the bag anyway. they're all plenty big "around" for a trophy fish, but it needs to be "deep" enough to be down in the water when it's hanging over the side of your boat holding a fish.

Frabill is a great company and have always lead the way in fish-friendly products. there's a reason i put their bag on my Stowmaster hoop! that said, i'm just stating my experience fishing and my preference as a consumer. i prefer the more coated knot-free bags because i've found them to be more fish-friendly than the thinner diameter knot-free mesh ones i've used, especially on fins where bigger gaps with smaller diameter mesh is a recipe for splitting. the coated Power Catch bag that's on my TS94 folds up just fine, so i hope Frabill considers offering a bag like that on the Power Stow at least as an option in the future in case i ever have to replace my net at some point.

That new Frabil/stowmaster uses the same small mesh bag as stowmaster. The stowmaster is a nightmirror for hook tangles. Very interested to know what Frabil net you replaced it with cause I need one. I really like the Stowmaster but the net is really bad. Has a nice deep bag and huge hoop but....Thanks for any info
lambeau
Posted 3/27/2011 6:44 PM (#489323 - in reply to #489202)

Frabill replacement bag model #4666.

32" x 41" hoop with 42" depth. 1 3/4" coated tangle-free knotless mesh.

http://www.frabill.com/landing-nets/replacement-netting.html

turned it into the perfect net...but it adds an extra $75 to the cost!

Posted 3/27/2011 7:50 PM (#489335 - in reply to #489202)

The difference I noticed was the price. Frabil was $30 more than the Stow Master. I use the Stow Master TY116 & have had no issues with it in 3 years of use. Put thrashing 100 Lb sturgeon in it & it held up great.
rook
Posted 3/27/2011 8:31 PM (#489343 - in reply to #489202)

Let me ask the question in another way --- what are the differences (if any?) between the power stow and stowmaster?
sworrall
Posted 3/29/2011 10:06 PM (#489713 - in reply to #489202)

Websites are a great resource:
Frabill:
Product Specifications
Full Description

* Ideal for pike / musky / big cats / bull redfish / striper / cobia/ grouper
* Heavy duty aluminum handle is strong and corrosion free
* Glass-filled nylon yoke for superior durability
* Knotless mesh netting reduces injuries to fish
* Telescoping handle for added reach

Stow Master:
Two stage telescoping handle made from 1-1/4” diameter extruded tube. Extruded ridges for extra strength and slip-free handling.

Hoop made from Oval shaped extruded tube. 100% aluminum yoke.

Hoop is Oval for extra strength, and making it faster in the water.

Hoop and handle are made from 6061 T6 aircraft quality aluminum alloy.

Heavy duty nylon netting with fish-friendly knot-free design. Net Bag is 48? deep with a specially coated “Guardian™” netting and is small meshed to protect fins.

Posted 3/30/2011 9:11 AM (#489741 - in reply to #489713)

sworrall - 3/29/2011 10:06 PM

Websites are a great resource:
Frabill:
Product Specifications
Full Description

* Ideal for pike / musky / big cats / bull redfish / striper / cobia/ grouper
* Heavy duty aluminum handle is strong and corrosion free
* Glass-filled nylon yoke for superior durability
* Knotless mesh netting reduces injuries to fish
* Telescoping handle for added reach

Stow Master:
Two stage telescoping handle made from 1-1/4” diameter extruded tube. Extruded ridges for extra strength and slip-free handling.

Hoop made from Oval shaped extruded tube. 100% aluminum yoke.

Hoop is Oval for extra strength, and making it faster in the water.

Hoop and handle are made from 6061 T6 aircraft quality aluminum alloy.

Heavy duty nylon netting with fish-friendly knot-free design. Net Bag is 48? deep with a specially coated “Guardian™” netting and is small meshed to protect fins.

Steve - i know websites are wonderful but most/all of those characteristics are shared by both nets. Is the Power Stow a Frabill-licensed stowmaster or is it a different (improved?) net?
I like Frabill in general....assume its improved, but from the video looks like a stowmaster clone.
sworrall
Posted 3/30/2011 11:46 AM (#489777 - in reply to #489202)

The Frabill uses a glass filled nylon yoke, proven in the Powercatch line and Big Kahuna for years as the smoothest deploying yoke on the market. The Handle and netting are similar.
Posted 3/30/2011 6:20 PM (#489830 - in reply to #489777)

Thanks!!

yooper
Posted 3/30/2011 11:30 PM (#489886 - in reply to #489219)

lambeau - 3/27/2011 10:07 AM

Guest - 3/27/2011 9:39 AM Any difference between the 2, Steve? Is the net similar? (have friends who aren't fans of the stowmaster mesh) Weight?

the Stowmaster design works great. however, i didn't like the small mesh because the hooks get tangled up in it every single time you put a fish in the bag, something that stresses fish due to extended unhooking times and the lure would sometimes hold the fish's head out of the water. this happened pretty much every single time. so, i bought a replacement Frabill net bag with 1 3/4" coated nylon mesh and put it on my Stowmaster frame. i now have the perfect net...but had to pay "twice" for it.

of course, that was before Frabill got on board with a foldable net of their own. the one limitation on these new Power Stow nets is that although they have the larger mesh, it looks like they used a lighter/thinner material on the net bags rather than the coated nylon that comes on the Power Catch. i find the thicker coated net bags are more fish-friendly and do less fin damage. so close, so close...

I agree that the thicker coated bags are more fish friendly and hook friendly bags out there. When you switch to one you don't see the net markes on the fish and fin cuts. Plus the fish don't get tangled in the net.
ttrap
Posted 3/31/2011 2:17 AM (#489892 - in reply to #489202)

I have a stowmaster and the netting is a thick coated bag got it from Thorne bros last year at a show not sure why as I have seen some of the stowmasters with a thinner bag.
4amuskie
Posted 3/31/2011 5:50 PM (#490008 - in reply to #489892)

The best advise I can give is if its got the thinner mesh bag take a pass. You will replace it for sure.
polarkraftdave
Posted 3/31/2011 6:35 PM (#490022 - in reply to #489202)

I stopped @ Cabelas today and looked @ the model #8520 looks and feels good. The bag seemed to be the thinner one you guys are talking about, I think it should be fine.
Muddy41
Posted 3/31/2011 6:56 PM (#490025 - in reply to #490022)

polarkraftdave - 3/31/2011 6:35 PM

I stopped @ Cabelas today and looked @ the model #8520 looks and feels good. The bag seemed to be the thinner one you guys are talking about, I think it should be fine.

Gander is running there Frabils at 30% off right now. I just picked up a Frabill that orignally costed $139 so I basically got $40 off. It is the net that has the thicker corded net. Weighs a little more than the $100 one but I figured it wil be worth the extra dollars in the long run.

sworrall
Posted 3/31/2011 8:38 PM (#490044 - in reply to #489202)

'I have a stowmaster and the netting is a thick coated bag got it from Thorne bros last year at a show not sure why as I have seen some of the stowmasters with a thinner bag.'

'The best advise I can give is if its got the thinner mesh bag take a pass. You will replace it for sure.'

Guess some folks don't have any idea what the bag looks like or how tough it is on either net.

This isn't the light bag one sees on the non-coated non-muskie nets, but it also isn't the large weave net one sees on the Big Kahuna or Powercatch series that lambeau prefers.

Netguy
Posted 4/6/2011 9:58 AM (#490997 - in reply to #489202)

A couple of the obvious differences:

StowMaster uses an aluminum yoke, not plastic for it's larger size nets.
StowMaster offers a lifetime warranty on the frame and componets (except the mesh), Frabill offers a one year.....
DMcMusky
Posted 4/6/2011 6:32 PM (#491118 - in reply to #489202)

Not looking to beat a dead horse here but as I get ready to pull the trigger on this purchase the only significant difference to me is price. Looks like the Stowmaster TS116Y can be purchased for $170.99:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0013BPDWA/ref=dp_olp_new?ie...
I was quoted $217 for the comparable Frabill power stow. I'm not sure if that price included shipping. I don't believe Gander Mtn carries the power stow at this point, I'm not sure any retailer does. I purchased the TS116Y back in '05 (no longer have this net) - apparently they redesigned the bag 2 years ago - the real thick coated bag which seemed to tangle, knot up hooks very easily was replaced with a bag which I get the impression is the same as the PCatch bag. Aluminum vs glass-filled nylon yoke ???? Never an issue with aluminum. Lifetime warranty vs 1 year??? I guess the decision became a little easier.
h2o.
Posted 4/6/2011 6:57 PM (#491122 - in reply to #491118)

There shouldn't be any questions, Stowmaster TS116Y only. The new version which came out last year has bigger and better net the the previous version. I like the new net cause its wider and accommodates fish better. I love my Stowmaster nets.
Rook
Posted 4/6/2011 7:44 PM (#491128 - in reply to #489202)

Do you guys recommend the 116 or 94 sized? I have a smaller boat, but fish in bigger-fish waters.

Also - if i mostly fish alone, is it better to get a stowmaster/powerstow (which i have to fully set up before fishing?), or a frabill powercatch which isn't stowable but (as i understand it) can at least be extended with one hand?
h2o.
Posted 4/6/2011 8:15 PM (#491136 - in reply to #491128)

Rook - 4/6/2011 7:44 PM

Do you guys recommend the 116 or 94 sized? I have a smaller boat, but fish in bigger-fish waters.

Also - if i mostly fish alone, is it better to get a stowmaster/powerstow (which i have to fully set up before fishing?), or a frabill powercatch which isn't stowable but (as i understand it) can at least be extended with one hand?

For musky, 116 only.

For all around it can be done with a 94, but be prepared to have some split tails on fish and lost fish. We have had some close calls with the 94, and that's why me and my friend had both purchased 116's last year.

sworrall
Posted 4/6/2011 11:46 PM (#491187 - in reply to #489202)

DMcMusky
Frabill has been in business for decades and will be for more.

A 'lifetime' warranty is only as solid as the company behind it.

The yoke Frabill builds offers a smoother one handed deploy. I have both net brands and have used both net brands, in all models.

The Powercatch can be easily deployed with one hand and has a lifetime warranty. If that's the issue, then buy that net.
DMcMusky
Posted 4/7/2011 12:42 PM (#491300 - in reply to #489202)

Thanks for your input Steve