Clothing Blooper Exposed
Sam Ubl
Posted 3/24/2011 10:59 AM (#488627)
Subject: Clothing Blooper Exposed

This may not be what you thought it was.. I the spirit of some new discussion, really, the purpose of this thread is to identify an instance that cost me a certain hook up and taught me a lesson I hope will help you from dealing with the same instance.

While fishing the Three Lakes WMT last year, we had already lost a good fish in the first half-hour, seen a couple window shoppers that weren't buyin' and were desperate for a hook up. It was the afternoon of the first day of the two-day event and that mid-day lull was definitely starting to wear us down. I fired a bomb over a rocky flat and started burning those blades as speed was the name of the game that day. From a long way out I saw a fish hot on the trail and spoke up to my partner so he'd be prepared if things went positive. As the fish neared the boat, due to the angle I had casted, which was ahead of the boat, I intended to dive the bait down a little as it neared and come past my feet, out and around. Well, I didn't adjust my feet properly for the manuver and had to tuck the rod into my torso slightly as I brought the bait past m feet. Long story short, I was still reeling as I did this and my handle got caught up in my shirt and ultimately disengaged the retrieve, stopping the bait too far out to make a perfect presentation of my 8... I recovered quickly and did my best to get back in the game but that fish was on to me. She followed it around a couple times but all the energy she had coming in hot tempered down to a luke warm interest and eventually she dissapeared for good.

To avoid this, I now conciously tend to wear more taylored shirts. Not to say I look like Enrique Iglesias every time out, but I definitely think about it now. I was wearing a button down tournament shirt that day with sponsor embroidery... What I leared was there is nothing wrong with changing shirts before picture time Hoodies or T-shirts are fine... Anything that doesn't bag out from your gut when you lean forward.

Anyone ever had this trouble before?

dfkiii
Posted 3/24/2011 12:06 PM (#488645 - in reply to #488627)
Subject: Re: Clothing Blooper Exposed

At this point in time I'd have more problems with my gut getting in the way than the shirt. Hopefully this problem will be greatly reduced by this year's opener...

Edited by dfkiii 3/24/2011 12:07 PM
PSYS
Posted 3/24/2011 12:17 PM (#488651 - in reply to #488627)

I tend to wear my t-shirts while fishing a bit on the baggy side and I will keep this in the forefront of my mind!

Thanks for the tip, Sam!
esoxaddict
Posted 3/24/2011 12:32 PM (#488659 - in reply to #488627)

Yes, unfortunately. And the fatter I get the worse this problem becomes...
jerken jimi
Posted 3/25/2011 6:38 AM (#488787 - in reply to #488659)

Its funny how you think your the only one this stuff happens to!! YA ,i try to remember to tuck in my shirt,especialy those hooded sweet shirts with the big baggy front pocket...ERRR...!! Glad to here im not the only one!!!
happy hooker
Posted 3/25/2011 6:49 AM (#488788 - in reply to #488787)

I have the body of a god,,,,unfortunately its Budda,,,I always wear pullover and now under armour skin tight shirts dont flatter me but work good
another tip-dont wear white shirts on water with an algae bloom
Hunter4
Posted 3/25/2011 7:24 AM (#488794 - in reply to #488627)

Hooker,
I have the body of a god,,,,unfortunately its Budda,,,
That made me laugh out loud. Always a great way to start the day.

whynot
Posted 3/25/2011 9:05 AM (#488808 - in reply to #488627)

watch out with raingear as well. usually looser than normal clothes and will get in the way.
Amused
Posted 3/25/2011 11:06 AM (#488827 - in reply to #488808)

Maybe that's why its rare to see WMT teams wearing matching "scare" shirts receive checks at the awards ceremony. I always thought it was because the shirts look ridiculous...
cjrich
Posted 3/25/2011 2:27 PM (#488868 - in reply to #488627)

When entering the figure 8, my rod butt frequently gets caught inside the large pocket on the front of my hooded, pullover sweatshirts.

If that would happen with a fish coming in hot, I admit that the fish would likely break off and swim away.
twells
Posted 3/25/2011 9:43 PM (#488962 - in reply to #488627)
Subject: RE: Clothing Blooper Exposed

I have already reeled up the strings on my hodded sweatshirt that were hanging down. The now either off or tied up shorter. I gets uncomfortable reeling yourself up. Otherwise it is just the gut getting in the way from time to time.

Body by Budda made me laugh also.
GREENANDBLUE
Posted 3/26/2011 4:04 PM (#489088 - in reply to #488627)

Never had that issue yet. I tucked my light weight fishing pant legs in my socks one day because I was having one of those "why aren't the fish bitting at all kind of days". Thought it might give me some good luck. I Kind of look like a friggin' golfer or something. Had some great luck fishing after doing this so it's just part of the grand scheme of things now. Look like a real Jack!@# but the fish like it and to me that's all that matters.
Posted 3/26/2011 4:08 PM (#489091 - in reply to #489088)

GREENANDBLUE - 3/26/2011 4:04 PM

Never had that issue yet. I tucked my light weight fishing pant legs in my socks one day because I was having one of those "why aren't the fish bitting at all kind of days." Thought it might give me some sort of ring of good luck. I Kind of looked like a friggin' golfer or something maybe I was paying homage to a past time great. Had some great luck fishing after doing this so it's just part of the grand scheme of things now. Look like a real Jack!@# but the fish like it and to me that's all that matters. :o