Minn Kota Terrova Problems
Chad Cain
Posted 3/24/2011 6:34 AM (#488569)
Subject: Minn Kota Terrova Problems

Has anyone else experienced problems with blowing circuit boards on their Terrovas? I have a 36 volt, 101 lb that I have now gone through 8 circuit boards in only a year of use. When I bought the thing brand new from Reeds Sporting Goods it had a bad board in it right out of the box.
whynot
Posted 3/24/2011 6:39 AM (#488570 - in reply to #488569)
Subject: Re: Minn Kota Terrova Problems

Have you talked to Minn Kota? Taken it in to be looked at by one of their service techs? I think this is the first problem I've heard about with the Terrovas, guessing you have a bad motor OR it's not installed properly.
Almost-B-Good
Posted 3/24/2011 7:22 AM (#488581 - in reply to #488569)
Subject: RE: Minn Kota Terrova Problems

Working with circuit boards and DC motors a lot, it sounds to me like one of two things. Either there is a serious flaw in the circuit boards, which is pretty remote, unless maybe they had a bad shipment of parts, or probably more likely it's a bad motor. Without hearing the symptoms of how the unit failed it's tough to speculate. If there were shorted windings in the motor or maybe a flooded motor housing it might draw excessive amps for not nearly the output you'd expect causing the circuitboard to overheat and fry. But that's just a guess, nothing for certain. I'd have someone check out the motor before blaming the circuit boards.

Let us know what you find out.
Chad Cain
Posted 3/24/2011 7:25 AM (#488582 - in reply to #488569)
Subject: RE: Minn Kota Terrova Problems

Pretty sure I just have a lemon. The service techs are the ones that are replacing the blown circuit boards. Gonna contact Minn Kota with all of my warranty repair #'s and see if they will just replace the motor. Just wanted to see if anyone else has had problems with 36volt Terrovas.
Muskyfvr54
Posted 3/24/2011 7:41 AM (#488585 - in reply to #488569)

My 101 motor was drawing excessive amps, and fried my I-pilot.
They replaced the motor and the I-pilot.
Good customer service.
Musky53
Posted 3/24/2011 10:48 AM (#488624 - in reply to #488569)

I kept tripping my inline circuit breaker and it was too hot to even touch. From what I was told the gauge wire used on the Minn Kotas using the Ipilot is too low. I am in the process of rewiring mine in 6 AWG. Minn Kota says that will fix it. Hope this helps.
Tom