Best Electronics
Posted 3/22/2011 10:42 AM (#488231)
Subject: Best Electronics

What's the best depth finder/fish finder for the money? I'm thinking Humminbird or Lowrance. I would like a screen bigger than 5" but not too big. I looked at a couple of other posts and websites and I'm not sure what kind of gps capabilities I need or want. Someone said Humminbirds don't accept SD cards and someone else said Lowrance are hard to operate. I probably won't need any side imaging or down imaging or satelite radio or anything. I really don't know very much about this, so I was just wondering what everyone else was using or what is on your wish list.
esoxfly
Posted 3/22/2011 11:21 AM (#488239 - in reply to #488231)
Subject: Re: Best Electronics

Really? Not to be rude, but this is totally Ford vs. Chevy. Each has their strengths. I don't know anything about SD cards on the 'birds, but I know they take chips just like Lowrance...and those are all SD cards. So I'm not sure what you read or what was meant, but they take map chips as well. As for Lowrance being hard to operate, again, not sure what you mean. But they work just fine. I'm a Lowrance guy and always have been.

Both have GPS and sonar capabilities, so I guess in all honesty, if you don't know what you need then either one will suit you just fine. Back to the Ford vs Chevy deal....if you don't know what you need or want in a truck, but just that you need a truck...you'd be fine with Ford or Chevy....or Dodge or Toyota, etc... Both are great units with good customer and dealer support. At this point, I'd go to a place like Cabela's or Bass Pro or Reeds or Thornes or where ever you live and actually put hands on each brand and see what you think. This will put you in front of each brand's new units and you can decide from there which you like. I would say go fish with someone who has each unit, but there's not tons of boats in the water rigth now and you may end up with a guy with a 10 year old Lowrance and a brand new 'Bird and the comparison won't be accurate. Go to a store with both and push buttons and look at screens and prices and decide from there.
Posted 3/22/2011 11:47 AM (#488242 - in reply to #488231)
Subject: RE: Best Electronics

I guess that would be my best option. Does anyone have any recommendations of where to start? I like the 800 series Humminbirds and HDS-7s on paper. Those aren't set in stone or anything, though.
Posted 3/22/2011 12:05 PM (#488245 - in reply to #488231)

As far as where to start - it all depends on how much you want to spend.

Otherwise, Hummingbird and Ford all the way!
Posted 3/22/2011 12:09 PM (#488247 - in reply to #488231)

Using the term "want" very freely, $1000ish. And, yes, I want a Ford.
esoxfly
Posted 3/22/2011 1:59 PM (#488267 - in reply to #488231)

I'm tellin ya...customer service issues have been addressed. It's not what it used to be. There was a big shake up last summer and in the aftermath, things have greatly improved.
fishing machine
Posted 3/22/2011 3:00 PM (#488276 - in reply to #488231)

I have contacted both Lowrance and Hummingbird and was very pleased with customer service. I think some of lowrance issues have been a bit blown out of proportion.

The Lowrance HDS 7 will cost around 900.00 to 1000.00. I think there is a rebate on those units right now. An HDS 7 can be bought and used as a graph and sonar. If the purchaser desires structure scan/side imaging a (LSS-1) can be added at a later date for about 600.00. This is a definate advantage for an individual who down the road may like to add that feature but doesn't want to spend the money now.

The Hummingbird 8 series is also very nice. I think they run a bit more but include the side imaging in the price. The hummingbird also has some capabilities using the various mapping software out there such as water depth highlighting which could be handy when traveling across new waters etc...

Both are good units. Both websites have a lot of selling points and features to search on the units in question.

Hope the decision process goes well.
jsali
Posted 3/22/2011 3:40 PM (#488283 - in reply to #488231)

I've always fished on boats with humminbird they do the job that is for sure. The price point is typically better as well.
LonLB
Posted 3/22/2011 4:53 PM (#488300 - in reply to #488231)

1/2 of Lowrance's issues can be attributed to the internet. Some folks read about a failure online, and then next thing you know, the KNOW someone who had a unit that failed....And eventually this snowballs out of control.

That isn't to say the first HDS units didn't have problems though.