favorite videos
Posted 3/21/2011 3:06 PM (#488105)
Subject: favorite videos

I was kind of wondering what some of individuals favorite videos are?

Personally I dislike the "how to" videos a lot from strictly an entertainment perspective. It seems I watch the "how to" videos once and then they sit on the shelf and rarely or never get watched again. I already got the "how to", now why would I want to watch a "how to" again? Just me maybe, but I find it extremely boring watching instructional videos over and over again. Just can't do it.

I do like videos of individuals straight out catching fish. I also like the background scenery. My two favorite videos are "Go Fish" by Jerry Sondag and "Muskies on the Shield" by Dick Pearson. I have watched both those videos numerous times, sometimes with the sound even off. I have also watched one of Erik Jacobson's and Brian Hanson's "big fish" several times.

Are there any other musky fishing videos that are just catching lots of fish and some good scenery than the ones I just mentioned? I have been kind of hoping for a "Go Fish 2" or a "Muskies on the Shield 2"
MartinTD
Posted 3/21/2011 3:14 PM (#488107 - in reply to #488105)
Subject: Re: favorite videos

My favorite is Badfish Outdoors - Muskie Madness III. Lots of good fishing action with many nice fish. Also, shows just how good Mark Lijewski is. That dude knows how to catch fish!

Edited by MartinTD 3/21/2011 3:32 PM
MuskyMATT7
Posted 3/21/2011 5:00 PM (#488120 - in reply to #488105)

The "how to's" are my favorite. I enjoy seeing fish (especially big fish) being caught, but I would rather learn how to catch fish for myself. "Precision Presentations" by Saric, "Weed fishing" and "Springtime fishing" by Gregg Thomas, as well as "Musky Fishing Southern Style" by Crash and Justin Mullins would be my favorites.
catchandrelease
Posted 3/24/2011 9:03 AM (#488602 - in reply to #488105)

I think "Focus on the 8" is an awesome movie. There is a lot of how-to material, but the footage is pretty cool. It may not be for you, but I think it is a great movie that everyone should see.
Sam Ubl
Posted 3/24/2011 9:05 AM (#488604 - in reply to #488105)

The Badfish DVD's are my favorites. "Go Fish" with Jerry Sondag was solid, too.
ToothyCritter
Posted 3/24/2011 12:57 PM (#488665 - in reply to #488105)

Old school Al Linder In-Fishermans The Great Muskie hunt 1 & 2... They will bit on dat!

Is it wrong for a man to love another man?
Sam Ubl
Posted 3/24/2011 1:46 PM (#488674 - in reply to #488105)

LOL, that's good stuff ToothyCritter.. "Oh yah, day'll bite on dat!" Abe Lang was doing those impressions while we were fishing Boom last year, had me rollin!
cjrich
Posted 3/24/2011 2:10 PM (#488677 - in reply to #488105)

"Musky Fishing Southern Style" by Crash and Justin Mullins
h2os2t
Posted 3/24/2011 3:44 PM (#488690 - in reply to #488677)

Do not get much of chance to watch videos but heard good things about the Badfish ones, Jerrys and saw parts of the Gregg Thomas video at a show and looked good. Like Muskies in Shield along with Scott Kiepers and am sure his new one will be just as good which he told me last weekend should be out in the next couple of months. Do not know about the rest.
esoxaddict
Posted 3/24/2011 4:22 PM (#488694 - in reply to #488105)

I agree with guest... The how-to videos are interesting, and you pick up a thing or two watching them. But once you've seen them once or twice there's no reason to watch them again. The badfish videos are entertaining, and show more of what it's really like out there. I enjoy them a lot more for the entertainment value than most of the others. For the most part, muskie videos are like winter therapy for me -- it's a nice break to sit down and watch big muskies being caught, especially when it's people you know or somewhere you already fish.
ToothyCritter
Posted 3/24/2011 4:44 PM (#488702 - in reply to #488674)

Sam Ubl - 3/24/2011 1:46 PM

LOL, that's good stuff ToothyCritter.. "Oh yah, day'll bite on dat!" Abe Lang was doing those impressions while we were fishing Boom last year, had me rollin!

A group of us did the same thing on the way up to LOTW on year. Quotes from Al the whole way up over the CB radio, and it sure made the time fly by.. Laughing now just thinking about that trip..
djhoffman_mn
Posted 3/24/2011 6:31 PM (#488722 - in reply to #488105)

Gotta chime in here, as there was a similar post a few years ago where I first learned about my new favorite musky movie of all time... BLOOD HOOK!

If you want to get a real kick some night, get yourself a copy, a bottle of Jack, and your significant other and give this one a spin....
partlycloudy
Posted 3/26/2011 4:05 PM (#489090 - in reply to #488722)

second on Blood Hook, ive worn out copies! This ones not musky but everyone needs to see Escanaba in da moonlight also, those two are the best up north double feature of all time. Bill
muskymaniac4ever
Posted 3/29/2011 3:14 PM (#489643 - in reply to #489090)

"My chevy took a ship" great line from a classic movie eh. How about a "Esox in da moonlight" the next classic
NickD
Posted 3/29/2011 10:00 PM (#489711 - in reply to #488105)

I've gotta watch blood hook just because and I think it's on netflix too. Escanaba in da moonlight is a strange yet classic flick.

Go Fish! is hands down the most entertaining muskie DVD followed by muskies on the shield. Awesome boatside and topwater action in both videos. After those 2 all of the bad fish dvds follow. Hoping they have MM4 or Muskie Town 2 coming out soon as their series is top notch.

Gotta like the old school in-fish vids as well. I watch DVDs for entertainment the how to is nice but the real how-to is learned on the water.
Medford Fisher
Posted 3/30/2011 10:08 PM (#489876 - in reply to #488105)

Definitely the Badfish videos...MM 2 and 3 specifically. Only saw Go Fish once, but really liked it from what I remember.

-Jake Bucki
bshep
Posted 3/30/2011 10:26 PM (#489879 - in reply to #489876)

i only own season one of the musky hunter tv show and have never been able to catch it on tv, but i'd def. like to get the other seasons. a lot of basic information and a lot of advanced stuff. the average musky fisherman that spends a lot of time on the water might already read about or have done most of what is gone over in the shows, but its a tv show about musky fishing to pass the time and its good to be reminded of the basics. there are plenty of tactics and tips jim and his guests go over that you can give a try on your home waters that you may have never tried before. there are multiple times and places for everything, so its good to see how others fish particular bodies of water and why they do certain things. i would definitely consider buying these tv series dvd's if you don't own them, because you WILL learn something new.
bshep
Posted 3/30/2011 10:35 PM (#489882 - in reply to #488105)

have to say i enjoy watching the badfish outdoors videos too. i believe its trophyroom.com that has a good selection of videos online. its obvious mark lijewski has ski in his last name for a reason. the dude knows where and why and his guiding and tournament resume's speak for themselves. the videos where they have to beep out a bunch of bad words are my favorites. i honestly can't say i have seen a musky video i have not liked. jerry sondag's are great as far as action goes. watched his dvd several times down at tony grant's place. gregg thomas always puts out great instructional videos.