24 volt and 12 volt
hawkeye9
Posted 3/21/2011 12:57 PM (#488083)
Subject: 24 volt and 12 volt

Electricity makes no sense to me at all. I actually know Greek so saying it's "all Greek to me" wouldn't work. But you get the point.

My buddy, who's an electrician, has set up my electical system. My trolling motor is 24v. So I've got two batteries hooked up in series. So far I understand. (I read atomic physics but can't understand the great mystery of electricity...so ridiculous!)This is what confuses me. I'm still using one of those batteries as my cranking battery and for my electronics (of course 12v). Ok, the how this works thing, I'll just try to get past. My question is: Is there any problem with this or is the reason for running three batteries (as most guys do) just the security of always having enough cranking power for the boat motor?

He talked me into this last year. I've never had any problems at all. Never a problem with juice to turn the motor. It starts quickly every time I turn the key (knock on wood).The only thing that got me thinking about it again was the mishap I had hooking up my batteries for the first time this weekend. The ground from the motor to the boat was apparently corroded and the next thing I know there's smoke everywhere as the lower unit ground wire burnt off its casing. (No real damage and I easily ran a new ground wire...after my boat mechanic got a chuckle of me calling him all frustrated...and him telling me to go run the boat and not worry about it.)

Anyway...what do you think about just running the two batteries this way instead of three?

Edited by hawkeye9 3/21/2011 12:58 PM
JimtenHaaf
Posted 3/21/2011 1:37 PM (#488093 - in reply to #488083)
Subject: RE: 24 volt and 12 volt

Your deep cycle marine batteries are not meant for starting batteries. Not good!!! I can't believe you haven't fried some of your electronics - if in fact you have the batteries set up as a 24v system. I'm going to attach a pic of how it's supposed to look. Hopefully it's big enough to see.
JimtenHaaf
Posted 3/21/2011 1:44 PM (#488094 - in reply to #488083)
Subject: Re: 24 volt and 12 volt

Well, my computer at work sucks. Here's the link to the pic anyways.
http://i481.photobucket.com/albums/rr173/JimtenHaaf/batteries.jpg
ttrap
Posted 3/21/2011 2:28 PM (#488101 - in reply to #488094)

I was having this conversation with my brother the other day. I have my 24volt batteries set up on my trolling motor. Then on one of the batteries I have my automatic bilge pump plus my lights ran as a 12volt system. He told me it wasn't possible but I have run the lights, bilge, and trolling motor all at the same time with no problems but all connections have circut breakers so nothing should fry. My answer was that I have a onboard charger hooked up to the batteries individually so why couldn't I have other 12volt items hooked to it as well. I'm not saying my way is right as I am also no electrican and will change that around if it is not supposed to go that way. However I would not tie the big motor to those batteries.

Edited by ttrap 3/21/2011 2:32 PM
hawkeye9
Posted 3/21/2011 3:25 PM (#488109 - in reply to #488101)

I do in fact have the 24v system set up correctly hence my 24v powerdrive minnkota tm works. But I then have my motor, lowrance finders, and boat lights hooked up to just one of the batteries. And I do hear ya on the concern of frying my electronics. I do have a good circuit breaker inline before the finders. I still think this is crazy, though. But a good point is raised in that most people then run their on-board chargers with this all hooked up (of course, what do I know because I don't understand electricity?).

I also hear ya about my batteries in the first place. But in fairness, I can run my trolling motor for 12 straight hours or more (on auto pilot), start my motor just fine, and electronics work. I haven't thus far seen any problems with my batteries but that could be yet ready to show itself.

I regularly disconnect things when recharging because of my fears with this wiring...probably reason enough to fix it and run three batteries. I assume if I do return to three batteries I hook up my electronics to the cranking battery with the motor, right? The whole point in only running two was just a matter of space which really isn't that big of a deal.

But I can't get over the fact that it's worked just fine! Don't get me wrong I'm listening and trust you know what your talking about. Which is why I posed the question. But I've also gotta come up with a decent explanation when I tell my buddy (who is an electrician...and fishes with me a whole lot of the time) that I'm going back to three batteries.

BTW, my boat mechanic has seen this wiring and never said anything...so either he didn't have an issue with it or (perhaps more likely) I need a new mechanic.

Edited by hawkeye9 3/21/2011 3:37 PM
hawkeye9
Posted 3/21/2011 3:44 PM (#488112 - in reply to #488109)

I know I'm writing a book instead of simply asking a question (please forgive me), but I just thought of another question about my batteries in general (again showing my ignorance). Perhaps this goes to part of what is so wrong with the way I've got things currently hooked up.

My deep cycle battery has no trouble whatsoever starting my 1 year old Yamaha 50h 4-stroke. But am I putting some additional strain on it by not using a cranking battery?
(part time electrici
Posted 3/21/2011 4:10 PM (#488115 - in reply to #488083)

The cranking draw will not effect the deep cell..........but the charge back from your motor is to much. You can put 100 amps (charge) into a starting battery without damage.....10 amps on a deep should be tops.

good luck
UP NORTH
Posted 3/21/2011 5:17 PM (#488123 - in reply to #488083)

Same topic, but can I run a 12v trolling in parallel with 2 batterys and run my fish finder on it too???.. My motor does not have elec. start so I dont have to worry about that... everything should be fine right? for longer battery life?? And when I hook my on-board battery charger the leads go to both battery's correct?? thanks guys...first boat
Top H2O
Posted 3/21/2011 7:51 PM (#488165 - in reply to #488083)

I'm an idiot, but you should run your main Motor off of a starter battery, and your 24 volt trolling Eq. off of 2(TWO) Marine batteries .
Works for 98% of humanty.

Jerome
VMS
Posted 3/21/2011 9:57 PM (#488184 - in reply to #488083)

UP...

you can run your fish finder off the parallel system with your TM, but you may run into interference issues. I have done that before and didn't notice any problems, but some units have, so if anything take it as a precaution that might come up.

I run 3 batteries on my boat...all of them being dual purpose rather than just a cranking battery separate from deep cycle. My cranking battery could not keep up with running two GPS systems (one on console, and a combo gps/depth on bow) along with a depthfinder in the back (wife likes it). So...when I replaced I purchased a similar battery to the front ones, then ran two 8 gauge wires to set up a parallel 12v system, yet use a 2 bank charger and a 24 volt TM. Gives me longer running time, and the ability to run the electronics and TM all day without worry of running down batteries for the most part.

Steve
Almost-B-Good
Posted 3/22/2011 6:43 AM (#488211 - in reply to #488083)

A ground wire????? What the heck is that? I've been running motors for 45 years and never have seen one of those.