merc tilt n trim prob
bobbie
Posted 3/20/2011 8:31 AM (#487929)
Subject: merc tilt n trim prob

Yesterday we were out on the Missouri river and when I went to put the boat back on the trailer the tilt would not work. the trim seemed to work fine but when the motor got to the the tilt pos it growled and stopped going up. When I tried to raise it again it would take the volt meter way down to 11v, so I thought it was a batt. prob. we got the boat on the trailer and started to get ready to go home. When it came time to put the transom saver on the tilt n trim worked just fine and still does. when it was not working I also tried the tilt switch on the motor and it did not make any diff. Does anybody have any ideas on what is going on? Thanks for any help. 2009 merc 150 opti
PS water temp was 34 but did not have any prob last Nov. when water temp was 33
sworrall
Posted 3/20/2011 9:30 AM (#487939 - in reply to #487929)
Subject: Re: merc tilt n trim prob

I may be a relay that is beginning to fail.
bobbie
Posted 3/20/2011 2:33 PM (#487975 - in reply to #487939)

If it was a relay it would send power to the selenoid in good working order and if failing it would not send any power to the selenoid, if I am thinking correctly. There was power to it the whole time, it would try to rasise it just seemed like not juice to get the job done. Correct me if I am wrong.Thanks Steve

Louie
jjmuskie
Posted 3/20/2011 3:49 PM (#487987 - in reply to #487929)

Low on fluid? I just use atf in my 89 75hp mariner. Try opening the filler cap when the motor is as high as you can get it. If no fluid comes out then I would add alittle fluid and see if it goes up and further. Do this till you get the motor to go all the way up. then replace the cap and cycle it all the way up and down a couple times. Check with your local dealer to be sure atf is safe to use in your unit. Good Luck.
shaley
Posted 3/20/2011 4:03 PM (#487989 - in reply to #487987)

May have just been groggy from a long winters nap, contacts maybe a bit dirty and after some use freed up??? May be just a weird quirk of the boat to, they all have some kinda quirk.....
dougj
Posted 3/20/2011 6:52 PM (#488001 - in reply to #487929)
Subject: RE: merc tilt n trim prob

Might be needing a new trim motor. Mind has done that at times (twice), and I always ended up with a new trim motor. Could be brushes, and maybe repairable.

If you're lucky you are low on fluid.

Doug Johnson