side imaging transducer question
Southshore
Posted 3/16/2011 10:06 AM (#487336)
Subject: side imaging transducer question

Is it practical to use a side imaging transducer on the trolling motor?
esoxfly
Posted 3/16/2011 11:24 AM (#487349 - in reply to #487336)
Subject: Re: side imaging transducer question

Yes. Alot of bass guys do it. There's limitations, and pros and cons vs mounting it on the stern. But yes, guys do it.
ecmusky
Posted 3/16/2011 2:24 PM (#487387 - in reply to #487336)
Subject: RE: side imaging transducer question

The side-imaging feature will not work on the trolling motor. You must be moving at speed (2-5mph) for there to be any type of reading. So you would run the side-imaging ducer in the back. Plus when you turn the head of the trolling motor you get glitches on the screen.
ttrap
Posted 3/16/2011 4:17 PM (#487403 - in reply to #487336)

The side imaging feature does work on the trolling motor. I have found many rock piles that way going straight and steady pace. It is more ideal to use it when the boat is going a little faster. The real problem is with turning the motor throws the display off for a second. If you go to bassboatscentral there is tons of pics of images taken with the unit on the trolling motor some very nice ones actually.

Edited by ttrap 3/16/2011 4:18 PM
ecmusky
Posted 3/16/2011 4:47 PM (#487412 - in reply to #487336)
Subject: RE: side imaging transducer question

Well I've got two boats w/ two different setups and speak from experience...one w/ side imaging locator (798) on the front with the transducer mounted on the trolling motor and the other rig w/ the transducer located in the back with only a side imaging unit (998) located in the rear w/ a humminbird 858 on the front. This setup is much better. The readouts are not nearly as accurate on my other rig as they would be from having the transducer located at the back while moving at speed. And when you turn the trolling motor man it messes w/ the screen. Not cool. It can be done but you'll be disappointed and its just a waste of money. Run your gps unit/US2 sonar up front and side-imaging unit in the rear.
ttrap
Posted 3/16/2011 6:57 PM (#487424 - in reply to #487336)

Yeah like I said I agree with you that the image is better with the transducer mounted on the transom there is no question about that. From your first post you made it sound like it wouldn't read right. Oh and the images on the 998 and 858 are going to be better than the 798 any day of the week no matter how the transducer is mounted.
muskydeceiver
Posted 3/16/2011 7:50 PM (#487433 - in reply to #487336)

Was looking at a 798 last weekend and the guy said some bass guys mount them on the trolling motor so they can control the direction they are "looking". He also said you don't have to be moving at a certain speed, just need to know what you are looking at.
Targa01
Posted 3/16/2011 8:08 PM (#487436 - in reply to #487433)

I've talked to HB guys at sport shows, read the manual over and over, and looked at every 'how-to' video online and they all say you have to adjust your chart speed to compensate for boat speed to get clear images with SI. I do this on my 2d sonar and it helps with getting better images. Could only imagine it would help even more on SI.

Can't wait for some open water!
sixdeucers
Posted 3/16/2011 8:47 PM (#487444 - in reply to #487336)

I'm a Humminbird guy too. The best advice I can give is to go to the website Bassboatcentral. There are two guys on there that I'm convinced can find gold with their side imagers. There are some great forums on there for installing and interpreting images. Oh and they say run side imagers on the trolling motor too. They even have pictures posted there too. Very informative on the side imagers.