db 10's & up vs. smaller db's...
STUSHSKY
Posted 3/13/2011 1:42 PM (#486777)
Subject: db 10's & up vs. smaller db's...

during the season i fish only two different lakes. on both of these lakes i have caught fish / had many follows on db 8's but yet to even have a follow that i have seen on a db 10 and up! would anyone else out there like to share similar experiences with blades whether it's the same or the other way around where you can't get a look on anything smaller than a db 10? how about with other types of baits...same thing where the bigger / smaller versions get all the looks / fish?
esoxkid06
Posted 3/13/2011 2:38 PM (#486799 - in reply to #486777)
Subject: RE: db 10's & up vs. smaller db's...

I cast both 8's and 10's and have been successful with both... I generally use 10's early and late and night fishing when i reel them a lil slower.... but if i want faster retrieves and a little less fatigue i switch to the 8's
leech lake strain
Posted 3/13/2011 6:55 PM (#486859 - in reply to #486777)
Subject: Re: db 10's & up vs. smaller db's...

there are lakes near me where they like alot of smaller baits biggest bucktail I have had success with there is a jr cowgirl otherwise they like the babygirl's and small bucktails and mini dawgs and stuff. Also these are not just small fish either I have seen the largest muskies I have ever seen in these lakes! they just prefer smaller baits!
esoxkid06
Posted 3/13/2011 7:14 PM (#486866 - in reply to #486777)
Subject: RE: db 10's & up vs. smaller db's...

Agreed.... its like that on a few lakes in my area as well.... and when it comes to smaller rivers smaller is def better around here anyways...
Tim Schmitz
Posted 3/14/2011 6:49 AM (#486943 - in reply to #486777)

What's the forage base like in the lakes you fish? I'd say if your fishing shad based lakes it would make sense that the fish key in on a smaller profile bait.
Sam Ubl
Posted 3/14/2011 4:58 PM (#487026 - in reply to #486777)

I don't think there's a big enough difference between 8's and 10's, or 13's for that matter in the way of visual profile, so as to say that the fish would have preference over one size or the other.. shimmery flashabou and spinning blades appear as a blur when the fish approaches it, so it's a "feel" thing more so than a visual.

If you're trying to match the hatch with size variation, consider those options with hardbaits and rubber for the most part, BUT there ARE opportunities to do so with smaller bladed hair bucktails that can hold a profile quite a bit more consistently on the retrieve than a larger ones. Larger blades means more vortex, which will have the body of any bucktail moving like a bizerk octopus.. In situations where there is clearer water and I know the fish are feeding on a smaller bait, like tadpoles, bullhead fry or whatever, I will downsize to sometimes as small as a Mepps #5 Aglia and burn it in.. of course this is just an example, you determine your retrieve and size under your circumstances.