Shallow Water Electronics
MPSCHULTZ
Posted 3/12/2011 9:52 AM (#486626)
Subject: Shallow Water Electronics

Which GPS/Sonar Combo unit has the best shallow water performance. I fish a lot of shallow lakes (10 feet or less). Don't see a lot of arches on my current unit due to cone angle.
sworrall
Posted 3/12/2011 10:16 AM (#486632 - in reply to #486626)
Subject: Re: Shallow Water Electronics

On waters 10' and under you won't no matter the brand. Even a wide cone angle in 10' won't get out very far from direcly under the boat. Side scan?
muskie! nut
Posted 3/12/2011 11:44 AM (#486640 - in reply to #486626)

Or the fish swims away from a boat that is that close to them. Besides, if a fish does enter the cone, at lot of times it won't show up as an arch as it will most likely pass through too quickly and look like a dot or blob.

lambeau
Posted 3/12/2011 1:01 PM (#486647 - in reply to #486626)
Subject: RE: Shallow Water Electronics

i've had muskies follow and swim under the transducer a few feet down, and i've also drifted over muskies with the boat in shallow water.

they make REALLY big arcs on your sonar when they're that close. fun stuff.

Targa01
Posted 3/13/2011 12:45 PM (#486765 - in reply to #486626)

Playing with chart/screen speed helps some with getting distinct arches. I've used Lowrance/Eagle only before but going to pull the trigger on a Humminbird this year that has SI/DI. A feature they advertise called Switchfire which is the same as their previous TVG (Time Variable Gain) would seem handy for shallow water. Basically it allows you to still maintain your gain setting but it filters out surface clutter (low signal strength stuff) and it adjusts the arc sizes to a 'common' length. With DI you can adjust beam width and its more of a slice and not a cone so again it will help find fish on slopes and shallow situations. SI had been used for years for shallow water so I would seriously consider models with SI/DI. I really can't wait to try out all these new features and functions that I didn't have available on my LEI products.