Greasing Reel Gears
curleytail
Posted 3/11/2011 10:33 AM (#486429)
Subject: Greasing Reel Gears

This seems like something I should have figured out by now, but what is the correct amount of grease to use when greasing the gears in our reels?

If I put the a bead of grease around the entire gear, it still seems like too much, and I get a reel with grease flung all over the inside of it. Do we need to put a bead on then wipe off the high spots, only leaving grease IN the teeth?

What is your technique/process for applying grease to your reels?

Tucker
Muskiemetal
Posted 3/11/2011 11:04 AM (#486436 - in reply to #486429)
Subject: Re: Greasing Reel Gears

I don't use any grease in the reels. Seems that grease just attracts dirt. I know that some add grease to drag discs, that's about it.. I use Reel Butter oil (there are many others, hot sauce, etc) on the moving parts and bearings.
msky3
Posted 3/11/2011 11:20 AM (#486440 - in reply to #486436)

Shimano grease or Cals grease 1/3 of the gear should have a small amount wiped in the teeth
RyanJoz
Posted 3/11/2011 12:47 PM (#486461 - in reply to #486429)

LubriPlate marine grease is the best I have found. Gears require grease from all manufacturers of reels. Why would you not go by manufacturers recommendations?

I do not grease the reel bearings, but I oil them every outing. It is EASILY apparent, that I am able to cast further than others with less effort. Keep those bearings well lubricated.
LonLB
Posted 3/11/2011 1:03 PM (#486465 - in reply to #486429)

I use Abu Garcia's reel grease, or Cal's grease.

Smear add some grease, turn the gears a few turns, and then if you have extra you can clean the extra up with a Q-tip. After awhile you get it just right without extra clean up.

I really hate the Ardent grease.

For oil I use the Quantum hot sauce. There are other "higher end" oils out there like rocket fuel, but if you service reels for people, you don't want to use an oil that requires re-application every trip or two.

The best feature about the hot sauce is that it maintains the most consistent viscosity of all of them. And the H/S is hands down the best in cold weather.
LonLB
Posted 3/11/2011 1:05 PM (#486466 - in reply to #486461)

Spool bearings yes.

I grease driveshaft bearings, and IAR bearings.

PIKEMASTER
Posted 3/11/2011 5:44 PM (#486554 - in reply to #486429)

I use HOT SAUCE OIL & GREASE, for the bearings I will mix a 50/50 oil and grease for the spool bearings, frame bearings get grease. For the main and pinion gear a use a small brush to apply the grease to the gears, the brush gets the grease into the teeth of the gears, your right to much grease and it will fling all over in side of the reel, a light coat is all U need. Now for the Anti/Rev bearing, if Im fishing in cold I will use the HOT SAUCE OIL, for summer time the 50/50 mix, I never use grease in the ant/rev bearing, the grease will cause it to slip. I like HOT SAUCE OIL & GREASE because it is made for a fishing reel and is safe for plastic and rubber parts, alot of oil and grease is not safe with plastic or rubber parts.
Ranger
Posted 3/12/2011 1:24 AM (#486592 - in reply to #486429)

Get a good frame of a reel, ensure the parts are perfect and slightly underlubricate the reel during season. Some gears want grease, some want oil. GO LIGHT. Stay CLEAN. The lubrication will warm up and get right after a few casts.

Never ever ever allow oil to reach the drag washers unless that particular system requres some sort of oil. If your drag system requires oil you need to upgrade your drag washers so it doesn't. Overlubrication almost anywhere means slippage of drag washers and accelerated accumulination of grit, dust and sand in all the gears and the bearings. Gritty gears just wear down over time, but problem bearings will make you lose a fortune in terminal backlashes right quick.

The trick to ensure steady performance is light lubrication and keeping your reel as clean as possible. And first you gotta know how the break down, clean, lube and rebuild your reel. Then you'll know by feel what the reel wants on the water.

Reels 101.
LonLB
Posted 3/12/2011 7:14 AM (#486600 - in reply to #486592)

Ranger - 3/12/2011 2:24 AM Get a good frame of a reel, ensure the parts are perfect and slightly underlubricate the reel during season. Some gears want grease, some want oil. GO LIGHT. Stay CLEAN. The lubrication will warm up and get right after a few casts. Never ever ever allow oil to reach the drag washers unless that particular system requres some sort of oil. If your drag system requires oil you need to upgrade your drag washers so it doesn't. Overlubrication almost anywhere means slippage of drag washers and accelerated accumulination of grit, dust and sand in all the gears and the bearings. Gritty gears just wear down over time, but problem bearings will make you lose a fortune in terminal backlashes right quick. The trick to ensure steady performance is light lubrication and keeping your reel as clean as possible. And first you gotta know how the break down, clean, lube and rebuild your reel. Then you'll know by feel what the reel wants on the water. Reels 101.

I agree.

Problem is, for folks who don't break down their reels and and need someone to service them, you have to overlube those reels.

One of the advantages of a greased drag is that it helps to prevent contamination.

Some of the high speed bearing oils are so light, that a musky fisherman would have to oil his bearings a few times a trip. Point is, that the most free-and smooth bearings are accomplished with very little lube.