grinding reels
esoxaddict
Posted 3/6/2011 7:54 PM (#485442)
Subject: grinding reels

So my 975 has started feeling a little rough. I've replaced the main gear and pinion gear on some of my other reels, so I suspect that's the problem. My question is this:

How can you tell if the gears are starting to wear? I've torn it down and cleaned it, and there is no obvious signs of wear, like metal shavings or thin teeth or anything. Both gears look fine. Is there something else that could be causing it to grind?
scavenger
Posted 3/8/2011 10:18 AM (#485828 - in reply to #485442)
Subject: RE: grinding reels

dry or damaged bearings , or worm gear on line guide
VMS
Posted 3/9/2011 10:30 AM (#486029 - in reply to #485442)
Subject: RE: grinding reels

Hiya,

If you take the main gear and the little one and run them together as if they were on the reel, you will feel them bump along if they are worn. If they are new, they will glide along with no bumping.

It is kind of wierd, though that upon inspection of the gears, there is usually what looks to be no wear, but I think what happens is the tips of the gears are blunted due to use. Brass is pretty soft overall, so the blunting of the gear tips then start to catch as the gears rotate, thus the grinding feeling you get when you are cranking the reel.

Steve
PIKEMASTER
Posted 3/9/2011 10:51 PM (#486162 - in reply to #485442)
Subject: Re: grinding reels

Penn reels have S. STEEL gears so it will always feel a little rough. If they look OK then remove all the bearings and soak them in Acetone, and reoil. There is a bearing under the Handle crank on the frame, make sure it is not dirty and needs lube.