Pikemaster Trinidad Spool Brake ?
KSauers
Posted 3/2/2011 5:14 PM (#484749)
Subject: Pikemaster Trinidad Spool Brake ?

just make sure it has a Spool braking system like the New Shimano 16NA. Alot of non- level reels are made for live bait casting and jigging, so most don't have much of spool brakes system.
-----

What kind of spool braking system does the new 16 NA have and does the 14 have it also?
PIKEMASTER
Posted 3/4/2011 12:42 PM (#485096 - in reply to #484749)
Subject: RE: Pikemaster Trinidad Spool Brake ?

On the old Trinidad's, the gold ones the 12, and 14 had 6 pin brakes on the spool and the size 16 and up had 4 pins on the spool for brakes, so when you posted I got my 16NA schmatics out and looked at it and I did not see any spool brakes on the spool on the schmatics, so I called Shimano and talked with one of the reel engineers name Mat and he said all the new Trinidads from 10- to the largest, does not have spool brakes on them, U adjust the cast control knob for casting. I ask why no spool brakes and he said that Shimano made the spools on the new Trinidad A reels alot lighter then the old ones and so they went with just the cast control knob to adjust the reel so it won't overrun on casting. I have been casting my new 16NA on the river for the last 2 months when the temps allow me to, and all I can say is it will outcast and will not birdnest like my old 16N reel.
KSauers
Posted 3/4/2011 4:42 PM (#485144 - in reply to #484749)
Subject: Re: Pikemaster Trinidad Spool Brake ?

Thanks Pikemaster. Now I'm wondering how the Cedros would compare in casting performance. A cast control knob is all they have also.
PIKEMASTER
Posted 3/4/2011 4:57 PM (#485152 - in reply to #484749)
Subject: Re: Pikemaster Trinidad Spool Brake ?

I still can't believe that the new Trinidads don't have any spool brakes, they cast so much better then the old ones that had spool brakes. I sold my gold 16N I wish I could have ck out the weight difference between spools with my new 16NA. All I can say is the New Trinidad 16NA is worth evey penny I spent on it. The Cedros looks nice, but I wonder if it will hold up casting and burning DCG all day long ?????? I just looked at the Cedros and saw that it has a 40" line pickup, the 16NA has 46" both are fast enough but the Trinidad has a higher line pickup.