Stained Water
Posted 2/8/2011 10:03 PM (#480660)
Subject: Stained Water

Hey guys-
My "home" lake is very stained, and often times by mid-late July the algae bloom is so bad you can't see a lure 6 inches down. I have always fished this lake very shallow (<10 ft.) with blades and topwater. I have had very good success at times, but overall inconsistent results. There is a good population of fish present, so I know they are there. I was wondering if anyone has had much success fishing deep weeds (10-15 ft.) or suspended fish in very stained water like this. Also, this lake has a great crappie and walleye/perch population which I'm sure the muskies are following.
JKahler
Posted 2/8/2011 11:15 PM (#480669 - in reply to #480660)
Subject: Re: Stained Water

Can you troll there? If so maybe try trolling for the suspended fish.

Edited by JKahler 2/8/2011 11:16 PM
Farmer Rick
Posted 2/9/2011 7:11 AM (#480687 - in reply to #480660)

If there are weeds in 10-15 feet the visibility can't be that bad. Down here in the south we rarely have weeds deeper than 5 ft. Many times you cant see a chartruse lure 6 in down... If you do have weeds that deep the fish will definetly be using that deeper edge at times. Pick it apart with cranks and rubber and you should catch fish. Figure eights become more important when you cant see follows! Trolling those deep edges would also be a great option like JK said... Follow the bait.
Rick
woodieb8
Posted 2/9/2011 8:06 AM (#480695 - in reply to #480660)

your qustion leads to this for me.
algae bloom-warmer water.
fish early morn or evening.
large wobbling baits.
reduce retrieve or troll speeds.
fish also get sluggish in warm waters as cold. metabolism is your key factor, as well as oxeygeon contents.
just a thought.
Sam Ubl
Posted 2/9/2011 10:05 AM (#480726 - in reply to #480660)

Stained water = bright colors and noise. Jointed baits with a wide profile will make noise and push water, which is where the majority of the lures calling power will come from. Adding some bright color to the mix only makes the lure call louder, which will only help you. Top water is a great option in stained water, too. A lot of River fisherman use Top Water and it makes sense - dark water, noise & disturbance. If you have weeds that far down in the stained water, you fish it the same you would clearer water, just remember to pick something that will make noise and/or push water, as well as keep it bright.

Medicine Lake comes to mind right away.. Tannic stain, but deeper weeds down to 15' DO exist. Dig 'em out.
firstsixfeet
Posted 2/9/2011 10:06 AM (#480727 - in reply to #480660)
Subject: RE: Stained Water

Guest - 2/8/2011 10:03 PM

Hey guys-
My "home" lake is very stained, and often times by mid-late July the algae bloom is so bad you can't see a lure 6 inches down. I have always fished this lake very shallow (<10 ft.) with blades and topwater. I have had very good success at times, but overall inconsistent results. There is a good population of fish present, so I know they are there. I was wondering if anyone has had much success fishing deep weeds (10-15 ft.) or suspended fish in very stained water like this. Also, this lake has a great crappie and walleye/perch population which I'm sure the muskies are following.

I'm with Farmer Rick, I don't understand your definition of "stained" and how there can be weeds at 10-15 feet? You might want to clarify a little, and think if the fish are locating at the thermocline in warmer water, it would put them below 10 feet in most lakes.
Sam Ubl
Posted 2/9/2011 10:21 AM (#480730 - in reply to #480660)

As I said in my earlier post, some tannic waters can grow weeds down 15', but if guest was talking about some penny copper water, like anyone framiliar with Rangeline in the Three Lakes Chain, well, the most I've seen is straggler pond weed stalks in little more than 2 or three feet of water. I'm assuming he's talking about a little less severe of a stain, however, if he's finding weeds down that far.

One thing I can tell you, "Guest", is that dirty water tends to warm up faster as the sediments tend to absorb the sunlight and creat warmth quicker than clearer water.

If you're talking about a stain that is so dark it won't allow more than a rim of weeds along the shoreline, these fish will look for structure to relate to, but if the lake is void of that, too, than search out substrate transitions, i.e. sand to gravel or silt to rocks, etc. If that's void, than yes, fish will suspend and migrate from here to there.. Kind of an open ended question.
deafmuskyhunter
Posted 2/9/2011 12:12 PM (#480756 - in reply to #480660)

Fish during midday can be awesome on stained water even better on overcast day. I normally fish super shallow and off structures as well. Topwater and gliders is my favorite lures on stained water.
Zib
Posted 2/9/2011 12:58 PM (#480765 - in reply to #480660)

I would jig that deep weed line with a Bondy Bait.
Farmer Rick
Posted 2/9/2011 5:11 PM (#480827 - in reply to #480660)

All of the experience that I have with stained water is that the clarity is still pretty good. This being the case I can see weeds being fairly deep. Light penetration is everything for weed growth. If the weeds can grow that deep the fish can probably see down there too. On our southern reservoirs after heavy rains there is a tremendous amount of silt in the water and visibility is zero. We still catch fish in those conditions and the fish don't have too much trouble tracking down lures in those conditions. Slow rolling spinner baits and cranks are the best for us as topwaters dont do too well.
As far as the algae bloom; many times the algae is only growing in a certain level in the water column where the temp is correct. Usually below that the water is clear while it is calm. The wind can stir it up throughout the water column but once out of the correct temp range dies quickly and is not a problem. This stuff grows quickly ever notice how it seems like the morning everything is fine then by four in the afternoon the lake looks like pea soup? I dont think it bothers the fish too much but bothers fishermen...

Rick
braidedline
Posted 2/9/2011 10:08 PM (#480882 - in reply to #480660)

What I found to work in similar conditions last year is a lot of casting, and the lure called a Barely legal Nurse.. made by Nauti lures. It is a spinnerbait... and I beleive it is the color that brings them up. I am not sure where you are located, but you can find them in some smaller bait shops in the Madison Wi. area.
figure 8
Posted 2/10/2011 2:20 PM (#481003 - in reply to #480882)

Braidedline- You are a total water head go pedal your crap some where else every one on these boards is sick of your crap and your make believe storys
Jason
Posted 2/10/2011 2:32 PM (#481006 - in reply to #480882)

braidedline - 2/9/2011 10:08 PM

What I found to work in similar conditions last year is a lot of casting, and the lure called a Barely legal Nurse.. made by Nauti lures. It is a spinnerbait... and I beleive it is the color that brings them up. I am not sure where you are located, but you can find them in some smaller bait shops in the Madison Wi. area.

I worked for the 1 shop for 5 years.... I still order their Cowgirls, bulldawgs, and a few other muskie baits for the one location. If I tell them something wont sell they wont order it... I get enough spam in my email, dont need it on here..
Good luck though..

With the spamming that is