Video editing software
MyliesPlace(Justin)
Posted 2/8/2011 7:45 AM (#480500)
Subject: Video editing software

I'm starting to dabble a bit with some video we've been capturing during some of our fishing the last couple years. I made a short "movie" for some friends that fished with me last fall out of some footage/photos with Windows Live Movie Maker and had a a little trouble with one clip when the audio got ahead of the video somewhere. I noticed this again on the first clip of a second project I started and got frustrated because it is pretty noticeable.

The ease of use of the windows live software is nice, but I'm sure there are more options for user friendly video editing out there and would appreciate a few suggestions.

I'm not opposed to paying for a program so both free downloads and suggestions that are user friendly & worth paying for would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Rick W
Posted 2/8/2011 7:51 AM (#480501 - in reply to #480500)
Subject: RE: Video editing software

TMPGE..............do a web search
sworrall
Posted 2/8/2011 9:10 AM (#480515 - in reply to #480500)
Subject: Re: Video editing software

I use Roxio, and like the ease of use and intuitive interfaces compared to the likes of Vegas Video or other PC based software. Final Cut Pro for my Mac. MPEG Streamclip or Any Video Converter to reduce file size if I'm in a hurry and need a quick edit and render and the video is going to be web based in standard definition.

You will need at least 2 gigs of ram (4 is way better) and a processor at 2.4 or more to seamlessly edit anything that's pixel intensive. Less than that in a PC and you may have problems with a large video file.
FYGR8
Posted 2/8/2011 7:01 PM (#480625 - in reply to #480500)

This is an easy and free program.

http://www.koyotesoft.com/indexEn.html
Biddler2
Posted 2/10/2011 5:03 AM (#480901 - in reply to #480500)

What OS are you running with movie maker? If it's the live version for Vista or 7 try the updated software that came out about 1-2 months ago. If you are shooting avchd it will do a much better job of syncing up audio and video then the original version. Or I have also found if using avchd format try to capture the entire clip once then make edits to this file instead of orignal when using original movie maker. If it's dv media I have used Pinnacle software before and it wasn't bad.
THA4
Posted 2/10/2011 10:58 AM (#480955 - in reply to #480500)

Can't beat Final Cut if you ask me. I want the studio version, but FC Express does a great job for now!
sworrall
Posted 2/10/2011 11:15 AM (#480960 - in reply to #480500)

True, Thomas, but the guy has a PC.
MyliesPlace(Justin)
Posted 2/10/2011 3:21 PM (#481014 - in reply to #480500)

Thanks for the advice guys. I could have pointed out my system and source video. I'm running a Dell with Windows 7 o/s that has 4 GB Ram and 2.4 processor. Mostly all the video was shot with a simple flip video that shows up as mp4 format off the recorder. I will have a few clips from a guests recorder that is a higher quality and was burned to a DVD and sent to me.

The windows live movie maker was/is more than adequate in terms of features, but the video/audio getting away from each other drove me crazy when it's so noticeable.

final cut express was suggested to me and looked great until I realized it was for mac.

I will check out the update for live movie maker and then maybe look into roxio. As i said, I don't mind purchasing something, but I really have no need for anything super fancy. This wont be an attempt to create PRO quality in HD by any means.

Thanks again. I appreciate all the advice. Helps pass some of the downtime when cabin fever starts to spike.

archerynut36
Posted 2/10/2011 8:29 PM (#481079 - in reply to #480500)

i also use pinnacle studio 8 and 10 . i love the way it works the audio in with the video.. when i started making them from my dv i used the windows movie maker and that was ok, but the pinnacle studio is way much better...bill