AVET Reels
TC24
Posted 2/3/2011 9:32 AM (#479471)
Subject: AVET Reels

I want to get a low geared LEFT handed reel for a DECENT price. Just wondering if anyone uses AVET reels. Any opions on these? Any other reels I should consider with these specs?
CowBells
Posted 2/3/2011 9:47 AM (#479474 - in reply to #479471)
Subject: Re: AVET Reels

Avets are great reels. I run a high speed (JX-MC 6.0:1) Avet for big blades and it's awesome. What type of lures are you planning on using this reel for?
TC24
Posted 2/3/2011 10:46 AM (#479492 - in reply to #479471)
Subject: RE: AVET Reels

Any big baits, but primarily blades.
CowBells
Posted 2/3/2011 11:01 AM (#479497 - in reply to #479471)

The only baits I throw with my Avet are big blades. I have tried to throw pounders and big cranks with it, but the constant ripping and reeling of slack line does not work very well with the absence of a level-wind. If you want a low gear-ratio reel for blades and other big baits, I don't think an Avet is the best option for you. When I want to slow down my blades, throw pounders or big cranks, I use a Calcutta 401TE. You may also want to look at an Abu 7001i. But remember, with these lower gear-ratio reels, you will be sacrificing speed, which is critical when it comes to big blades.
TC24
Posted 2/3/2011 11:19 AM (#479499 - in reply to #479497)

I was just saying. I have other set up for rubbers and such. So yes, only blades.
Capt bigfish
Posted 2/3/2011 11:53 AM (#479506 - in reply to #479499)

I have the Avet MXL 5.8 left set up for big blades. If I had to do over again I would get the MXJ for the smaller spool. Super nice reel for burning blades effortlessly. Sweet drag and made in the US, under $200.
CowBells
Posted 2/3/2011 12:05 PM (#479511 - in reply to #479471)

Oh, then heck yea get an Avet. Both the JX-MC 6.0 (46"/crank) or the MXJ 5.8 (38"/crank) that Capt bigfish mentioned are great options. Although, I would advise you to get an MC (Master Cast) model, as these have a magnetic cast control. This will make it much easier to cast big blades without a levelwind. These are not low gear-ratio models, but like Capt bigfish said, burning blades with a lot of speed is basically effortless.
TC24
Posted 2/3/2011 12:58 PM (#479522 - in reply to #479471)

My assumption that for a smaller spooled reel, that would be the SX model and it would be in a smaller profile? You think this would be a noticable difference in pull with that?
Definatley will be getting the MC cast control.
My mistake on the low-gear.
JKahler
Posted 2/3/2011 11:05 PM (#479664 - in reply to #479471)

Do they backlash a lot like a Saltist?
CowBells
Posted 2/4/2011 9:03 AM (#479697 - in reply to #479471)

You gotta be a little careful. I use more of a long, smooth casting motion vs. a hard whip. You will sacrifice a little casting distance without having a levelwind.
Scott
Posted 2/4/2011 10:06 AM (#479705 - in reply to #479471)

For us Lefty's a Trinidad is out of the question so I've been considering an Avet reel for burning blades but my question for you Avet owners is: do you find the reel to be pretty heavy compared to a TE or standard round reel? How is the weight with the reels on a Muskie Rod? It seems that these reels could be tiring of your throwing blades all day. Do you find the weight of the reel to be a problem?
rich
Posted 2/4/2011 10:20 AM (#479710 - in reply to #479705)

The Avet SX is only 14 ounces. An all day affair with the reel is no problem. I have the SX for the reason's mentioned above. Smaller profile, easy to throw, fast retrieve and durable. Wtihin two casts you'll be able to master the non-level wind system.
CowBells
Posted 2/4/2011 1:10 PM (#479744 - in reply to #479471)

My AVET JX is 20 oz. So, about the same size as a 700TE, but much bigger than a 400TE. But I'm 6'4'' with large hands so it is still easy to palm all day.
Chasin50
Posted 2/6/2011 8:51 AM (#480048 - in reply to #479471)

I have the Avet MXL w/ Magnetic Cast Control in a lefty. The reel is built incredibly well. It is a pretty heavy reel, but when paired with a rod suited for double 10's, it is not too heavy. The diameter is rather large, and it is difficult to palm for long periods, and I have long fingers/big hands.

I though the lack of level wind would be a problem, but it really isn't. The line lays on the reel ptreety good without having to "guide" the line at all. The lever drag takes some getting used to, and I would much prefer a thumbar. You can adapt, but it just doen't seem natural having never used one previously.

It is a little difficult to adjust the cast control to get it just right for the weight of the lure you are throwing. As an example, I feel like when throwing a cowgirl, the cast control settings are either slightly to much or slightly too little control. In turn, you casting distance i hindered, or the spool spins too easily and you really have to watch thumb pressure to prevent backlashes.

I will say that once the bait hits the water, and you get the lever engaged, you can really smoke a bait...

I am considering purchasing the SX with Mag Cast control to get the smaller reel size. However, the gear ratio is 5.3:1 compared to 5.8:1 on the MXL. I want the speed, so also thinking obout the 2 speed SX.

Does anyone have/use the SX single or 2 speed?
Landry
Posted 2/6/2011 9:41 AM (#480053 - in reply to #480048)

I have the sx with MC. It is very comfortable and cranks in big blades quite easily - way easier than standard muskie reels.
It does backcast a little easier so I just step down the power of my cast a bit and lose that few extra feet. Run 100 pound on it for sure!!
I am happy with the purchase - but I think it is the best lefty choice for big blades. It can do other applications but my other reels are better for rubber, cranks...
Very well built and solid reels!!!!!!!
Landry
kevin cochran
Posted 2/6/2011 11:50 AM (#480072 - in reply to #480053)

I have had the MXJ's and the Sx's. If you are going to throw double 10s and 13s then go with the MXJ and make sure it is magged. I bought my first one in 2006 and have not had any break. The SX is very small and easy to cast all day long. The MXJ is larger and does not cast the small baits as well as the SX. There is only a $10 difference between the two reels. You can also buy custom color Avets at Cabbage Key. Make sure the reel that you buy is magged.
Here's a link to the custom ones at Cabbage:
http://www.cabbagekeyrodandreel.com/CustomAvetreels.html
Here's a link to their full line of Avets:
http://www.cabbagekeyrodandreel.com/AvetReels.html
They are cheaper here than other places that I have found.
kevin cochran
Posted 2/6/2011 12:04 PM (#480075 - in reply to #480048)

Chasin50 - 2/6/2011 8:51 AM
I am considering purchasing the SX with Mag Cast control to get the smaller reel size. However, the gear ratio is 5.3:1 compared to 5.8:1 on the MXL. I want the speed, so also thinking obout the 2 speed SX.

Does anyone have/use the SX single or 2 speed?

I had a 2 speed SX that I used for years and loved it. I could use the lower gear for slow rolling bucktails at night and the higher gear for burning baits during the day. I sold it to buy the new Raptor SX 2 speed. I also have a magged SX single speed. I dont notice a difference in speed between the two reels. The 2 speed is considerably more price wise.
TC24
Posted 2/7/2011 10:19 PM (#480468 - in reply to #479471)

What would be a good size comparison for reels found in stores in MN (i.e. Saltist, Calcutta, Abu, etc) to the SX and MX since I'd most likely be ordering this? Or does anyone know where they might actually sell these in the metro MN?
kevin cochran
Posted 2/7/2011 10:51 PM (#480475 - in reply to #479471)

SX is comparable to a Trinidad 14 in size. The Avet might be a little smaller.
The MXJ is smaller than the Tinidad 16N and has a little wider spool.
As far as I know there arent any places in the cities that has these. Not sure on that though.
Cabbage is going to be the cheapest place to buy one.
adamsnez
Posted 2/7/2011 11:40 PM (#480481 - in reply to #479471)

While 2 speeds are being talked about in here, lemme throw this in [not to hijack]

What gear do you guys like using for big blades? I know lower is easier on the retrieve, but you gotta burn faster.
On the other hand with a higher gear, it's harder on the retrieve and gearing itself, while you still get the speed.

Q to you guys then; what do you figure is the 'best' in your opinion gear for big blades weighing on those two points presented above? (im excited to use my saltist two speed, I just dont think the 3.1 gear will be fast enough on the retrieve)
Tim Schmitz
Posted 2/8/2011 6:19 AM (#480492 - in reply to #480481)

You'll have to crank like crazy with 3:1 gears. That ratio was is intended for pulling huge fish from deep water or super hard fighting fish I can't think of a situation in Muskie fishing when you'd ever need a gear that low. I also wouldn't worry about the strain on the high gears my saltist and Trinidads haven't missed a beat in 2 years of heavy blade burning and dawg ripping.
TC24
Posted 2/9/2011 8:04 PM (#480860 - in reply to #479471)

Do any of you think it would be worth it to fork up the extra $100 bucks to get the 2-speed reel? With different gear ratios, I figure it would pay off for the slow rolling and burning with bucktails? The other set up I currently use are equipped with a Curado and a Luna.

And starting off this post I wanted something that wasn't too expensive, guess muskie fishing is getting the best of my wallet yet again....
Capt bigfish
Posted 2/9/2011 8:36 PM (#480868 - in reply to #480860)

The Avet is 2 speed is 2 reels for the price of 1 and a half. Go for it. The high speed for bucktails in the summer and low ear for pounders in the fall. Cast between trolling runs to keep the partners happy.
muddymusky
Posted 2/13/2011 9:23 AM (#481424 - in reply to #479471)

How does this reel work without a level-wind? I have never used a reel like this but am interested in finding out more about them. Is the drag adjustable, and what is a rod clamp?
ande
Posted 2/13/2011 1:35 PM (#481465 - in reply to #479471)

I have been reading the posts on the Avet reels and thought a picture might help for some. So far Avet is the only company that I know of that makes high speed lefty reels. The reel pictured is an Avet MXL with what I think is called magnetic cast control. I use the reel on a 9' XH tackle industries rod. I cast baby Glittertails to rad dogs to double 12s and even occasionally a larger creation yet. Reels without level winds do not work well for jerk baits or light pulling baits. The following are some of my feelings reguarding my Avet:
1. I rest my thumb inside the reel and that makes it fairly ergo dynamic for me.
2. I set the magnetic cast control on the reel between 3 and 4 for best results.
3. The reel engage system has four settings, Free, livebait drag, fighting setting, and nearly locked down. I have used my Avet enough hours that I am comfortable flipping between the four settings while fighting a fish that hits boatside or in the 8. With the position of the engage system on the left side I do not need to worry about switching hands to perform these moves.
4. I use 80lbs suffix and the pile on the reel which can be seen from the photo tends to run in the middle. With all non level wind reels there is some need to watch how the line comes on occasionaly.

What I don't like is unless I have a heavy lure on, the cast distance is a bit shorter than what I can achieve with a level wind reel such as a saltist. If Avets had some level wind options I doubt I would own any other brands, they are good. I only use the Avet for high speed reeling in baits. For any other type of retrieve their are better options. One other thing I don't like is the noise of the reel. If you want a quiet operating reel this is not the reel for you.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(reel pics 001 for web.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments reel pics 001 for web.jpg (39KB - 1600 downloads)
kap
Posted 2/13/2011 2:27 PM (#481469 - in reply to #479471)

Daiwa makes a high speed reel for leftys it is called the SALTIGA. It is comparable to a Trinidad in performance and price. Started using one last year and it works great. Just another option.
AlexG
Posted 3/1/2011 12:47 PM (#484475 - in reply to #479697)

This is not true. Not having a level wind increases the casting distance because there is no resistance from the level wind. I have an Avet JX raptor & MXL 2 speed reel. I can send a 4oz lead 350' with a 7' rod. If you setup the magnets properly you can whip anything full force and it will not backlash. The trick I learned was do not touch the spool until the bait hits the water all you need to do then is stop the spool. If you try to apply breaking pressure with your thumb during the cast it will backlash.
AlexG
Posted 3/1/2011 12:53 PM (#484479 - in reply to #480048)

I have both a JX raptor and MXL 2 speed. I am not sure how I fished without a 2 speed option for so long. When I pull a double 10 in on low gear you would think there is not even a lure on because it is so easy to crank.
Chasin50
Posted 3/1/2011 6:18 PM (#484571 - in reply to #479471)

I just got my MXJ, and I think I'm going to like it. Same diameter as the MXL, but a little narrower. Now the questions is do I dell the MXL, or keep them both??? They really are a fine piece of machinery...
LonLB
Posted 3/2/2011 11:08 AM (#484687 - in reply to #479471)

I had a couple questions about these reels. Is the engage/disengage lever the same lever as the drag? Does it engage with a turn of the handle UNLIKE the Daiwa Saltist?

One other question....How does the size compare to a Classic Abu 6500 or even the 7000 series?

sworrall
Posted 3/2/2011 5:13 PM (#484748 - in reply to #479471)

Wow, a 115 yard cast...
AlexG
Posted 3/3/2011 3:51 AM (#484842 - in reply to #484687)

With these reels the drag lever controls the free spool and drag settings. This lever operates manually and will not engage with a crank. An MXL is about the size of a 6500 c4. Most if not all saltwater lever drag reels require the user to manually engage the drag. As with most saltwater reels these reels are tanks with no level wind. The most important thing to remember with the lever drag is to set it up properly according to the lb/test of line being used or 25-33% of line rating at the strike position. Full drag should not normally exceed 50% of line lb/test. This is calibrated on Avets with a dial on the base of the lever drag. Make sure the reel is in free spool when adjusting the drag dial or there is a risk of damaging the reel. Once the dial is set put the drag to the strike position and use a spring scale to measure the drag pressure pulling line directly off of the spool. This fixes the max drag pressure on the reel which is one of the major advantages of a lever drag compared to a star drag.
TC24
Posted 3/10/2011 5:37 PM (#486311 - in reply to #479471)

More of general question for non-levelwinds, but back to the backlash question. I fish a ton of days with heavy wind...how big of an issue will backlashing honestly be in these situations?
Jsondag
Posted 3/10/2011 9:31 PM (#486364 - in reply to #479471)

Avet, like most reels have a pretty sweet drag setting ( for casting & retrieve) - I was using the Avet lever drags a few years ago and really liked them but getting my lever drag set to where I felt it was perfect, at times felt like a chore. They ended up in my arsenal as livey / trolling reels. I would strongly recommend you try a buddies before you buy one with a lever drag - One thing I have noticed from the back of the boat is a lot of people just can't adapt out of a star drag.
Jsondag
Posted 3/10/2011 10:18 PM (#486372 - in reply to #479471)

Although if you do buy one, and you don't like it... and you kept the box - You can sometimes get more than you paid for it on ebay!
MuskyMN
Posted 3/11/2011 9:32 AM (#486413 - in reply to #479471)

Avet is the best real on the market for left handed muskie nuts for blades. I bought an Avet SX 6/4-M.C last year. Amazing real. Burn bucktails during the day, hit the side button at night to slow roll those 13's at night.. Live bait setting, Master Cast 1-5 settings, those reels never backlash ever. You don't even need to thumb your line when casting. Simply amazing. 38 inches a crank. Spool up your line completly full and you're probably getting 40"41" per crank.

I can throw pounders with this reel as well. Simply hit the speed button to 3:8:1 and it's not an issue at all. I wouldn't fish blades without my Avet reel. Simply amazing. What other reel do you have the option of 2 speeds??

I also switches from calcutta 401 to Avid last year. All my 401 ever did was fall apart. Especially the Handles falll off every other day. It's a shame Shimano won't even cater to right handed people.. I have (3) 401's at calcutta right now, being fixed. Trinad looks awesome, if your right handed.

Check out this Video.. this video will make you buy an Avet..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmp0JdVDsRE
whynot
Posted 3/11/2011 10:04 AM (#486420 - in reply to #479471)

Can someone explain to me briefly what the difference between the blue, silver and gold models is?
kevin cochran
Posted 3/11/2011 10:10 AM (#486423 - in reply to #486420)

Yeah they are different colors. Just messing with ya. All models come in a variety of colors available in limited quanities through some of the retailers. Lefties are tough to get in custom colors; they are usually not stocked.
whynot
Posted 3/11/2011 11:14 AM (#486438 - in reply to #479471)

lol, way to hit that meatball out of the park, Kevin! Didn't know if there were mechanical differences or what. Thanks for the heads up!
C.Painter
Posted 3/11/2011 3:02 PM (#486503 - in reply to #479471)

I have thrown the Lefty Avet now for 2 years. My personal opinion would be to NOT get the variable speed reel. The reel is great for what its for, burning bucktails. But if I am going to then slow down and slow roll, I would just as soon use a more comfortable tool like a revo or something. I like the reel for burning, but it takes some getting use to. Wouldn't be my first choice of reel if it was an all around reel...but I put up with it because it is so valuable to burn.

TC24
Posted 3/13/2011 7:27 PM (#486868 - in reply to #486503)

C.Painter
So basically you wouldn't advise me to get a 2-speed model because it's not the easiest reel to use for slow rolling?
Muskyfvr54
Posted 3/13/2011 9:41 PM (#486898 - in reply to #479471)

I use mine to drive deep cranks down with ease on the lower gear.
ChadG
Posted 3/15/2011 12:20 PM (#487190 - in reply to #479471)

Has anyone tried an aftermarket handle on one? Would it fit say from a 6500 abu or Calcutta? I would rather have a double paddle handle.
LonLB
Posted 3/16/2011 10:33 AM (#487344 - in reply to #479471)

I'm specifically interested in these vs the Saltist, for a high speed double blade reel.

How does the casting performance, and line management compare.
figure8out
Posted 3/16/2011 12:05 PM (#487355 - in reply to #479471)

I got a MC MXJ6/4 I put just under 45 hours on last year, The real is very nice and did big blades fine you can use this real in most instances as long as you pay attention to what it is doing and you stay in a rythm an excitable cast say like you just saw one fin at the back of the boat so you launch a quik one at it resulted in backlashes, some were very bad. that being said, back to the 45 hours in that short period of time ( taking complete care of of my new 400+ dollar reel) the gears seemed to have loosened up it now sounds and feels like a high powered coffee grinder, which is disappointing, especially considering 35 of those hours were spent throwing smaller blades mostly single 8's and small Slippery Sams. The reel has been sent in and am waiting. could have been a bad one i don't know. but you will when I do. leftys come in silver only Rightys get choices of color. pure discrimination
Posted 3/17/2011 12:34 PM (#487538 - in reply to #479471)

Cabbage Key has the lefties with color options. I believe you can get any color through them you just have to pay more for it.
TC24
Posted 3/17/2011 8:12 PM (#487608 - in reply to #487538)

In regards to the custom colors from cabbage key (in which I do want)....it is my understanding that they break the reels down and do it all themselves. To me this brings in to question of the integrity of the reels. Does anyone have any input into this?
PIKEMASTER
Posted 3/17/2011 8:36 PM (#487614 - in reply to #487355)

figure8out - 3/16/2011 12:05 PM

I got a MC MXJ6/4 I put just under 45 hours on last year, The real is very nice and did big blades fine you can use this real in most instances as long as you pay attention to what it is doing and you stay in a rythm an excitable cast say like you just saw one fin at the back of the boat so you launch a quik one at it resulted in backlashes, some were very bad. that being said, back to the 45 hours in that short period of time ( taking complete care of of my new 400+ dollar reel) the gears seemed to have loosened up it now sounds and feels like a high powered coffee grinder, which is disappointing, especially considering 35 of those hours were spent throwing smaller blades mostly single 8's and small Slippery Sams. The reel has been sent in and am waiting. could have been a bad one i don't know. but you will when I do. leftys come in silver only Rightys get choices of color. pure discrimination ;)

I wonder why they sound like a coffee grinder ???? do they have S.STEEL gears ????
kevin cochran
Posted 3/17/2011 8:37 PM (#487615 - in reply to #487608)

I wouldnt think so. I can break my Avets down to about 50 pieces and I really have no idea what I am doing. I think they are only putting different side plates on them.
figure8out
Posted 3/17/2011 9:56 PM (#487627 - in reply to #479471)

I believe they do pikemaster, but it was more than that, the reel came to the point where it would no longer move without force, but it would(roughly)once it got started.
kevin cochran
Posted 3/17/2011 10:45 PM (#487631 - in reply to #487627)

I took a friend's MXJ apart this winter it had a bent spool shaft. I would imagine this happened on a very hard backlash. This made it reel hard and you could feel the bind. Maybe you have a bent shaft. I wouldnt think the gears are the issue. Where did you send it?
Ebenezer
Posted 3/17/2011 11:28 PM (#487637 - in reply to #479471)

Kevin - tfoot is not of sufficient stature to create a very hard backlash!
figure8out
Posted 3/18/2011 7:55 AM (#487669 - in reply to #479471)

Avet. the shaft may be the prob. i will know soon enough, anodizing aluminum isn't that cheap and unless you absolutely Need it to match your favorite pair of socks why bother. function b4 fashion.save the money for more baits.to each his own
figure8out
Posted 4/2/2011 8:21 AM (#490285 - in reply to #479471)

So I heard back from Avet , a "made in the USA product" after speaking with two Spanish accented women who knew how to bill you, or tell you it was covered by warranty, and asking to talk to someone about the problems I was told the tech was Armenian, and could understand English but could not speak it ???? I was told the parts will be sent with the reel. How Impressive. No explanation, I get to guess why I had problems in the first place, and if I myself did something to it, I am able to do it again, without knowing. Rather a bummer rather. I'm writing a letter.
Posted 4/2/2011 2:44 PM (#490337 - in reply to #479471)

figure8out,

You might try asking for an individual named Scott at Avet. He was extremely knowledgeable when I spoke with him last week. I recently sent my reel in for a 35.00 service they advertise on their website and ordered a couple misc parts at the same time. He was very knowledgeable and I felt I learned a lot about reels in general from our short conversation. My perception of saltwater reels and mechanics have also changed a fair amount as the result of our conversation.

Jeff
edalz
Posted 4/2/2011 3:12 PM (#490341 - in reply to #479471)

Spoke to Scott this week and he was great and then i bought a jx reel.
figure8out
Posted 4/2/2011 5:01 PM (#490346 - in reply to #479471)

I will give that avenue a try, thanks for the tip, don't mean to pound on em right off the bat but 1st conversation was frustrating.
LonLB
Posted 4/2/2011 11:03 PM (#490399 - in reply to #479471)

Has anyone used an Avet, AND a Saltist?

Comparisons?
Tfoot
Posted 4/3/2011 10:46 AM (#490443 - in reply to #490285)

figure8out - 4/2/2011 8:21 AM

a "made in the USA product" after speaking with two Spanish accented women who knew how to bill you, or tell you it was covered by warranty

Ever been to southern coastal California? I haven't, but I've watched enough t.v. to know the ethinicity of the place. Besides I spoke with them last month and she had a hard time understanding my midwestern-honky accent. touche!