Volunteers to assist in monitoring compliance on the water?
Ranger
Posted 1/28/2011 12:55 PM (#478346)
Subject: Volunteers to assist in monitoring compliance on the water?

Are any of you folks aware of any state that has enlisted and trained volunteers to help identify and prosecute violators?
Pointerpride102
Posted 1/28/2011 2:07 PM (#478361 - in reply to #478346)
Subject: RE: Volunteers to assist in monitoring compliance on the water?

Ranger - 1/28/2011 12:55 PM

Are any of you folks aware of any state that has enlisted and trained volunteers to help identify and prosecute violators?

Most volunteers can't prosecute. Out here we get public volunteers to assist us in a variety of tasks. I use some in the invasive species programs to help monitor boat ramps and educate the public on how to decontaminate their boats. If someone were to try and launch a boat without doing the required certification there really isn't much the volunteers could do aside from report it to a conservation officer. There isn't much anyone can do unless they are law enforcement officers. At least as far as I know....
tuffy1
Posted 1/28/2011 2:30 PM (#478365 - in reply to #478361)

PP, that's been my experience here as well. We have volunteers watching the River during the salmon and trout runs, but all they can do is call the wardens to report any violations.
ESOX Maniac
Posted 1/28/2011 3:20 PM (#478372 - in reply to #478346)

Rick, I've got our local Warden on speed dial- they really don't want you to play water cop. But they do appreciate your concerns and welcome information about violations that you observe. A digital camera is an great tool . I busted one guy dumping trash in the river & another illegally harvesting clams. Photgraphed their vehicles and their license plates and them in action, called the local Warden. All the Warden typically needs to investigate is your statement and any evidence - your digital photo's or digital movies are great evidence to show probable cause.

In WI you can call 911 and explain situation and ask them to have local Warden to contact you.

Al

wvhillbillyjlm
Posted 1/28/2011 4:46 PM (#478388 - in reply to #478372)

I test the local river water multiple times a day.....I am a water treatment plant operator.
Ranger
Posted 1/28/2011 9:27 PM (#478427 - in reply to #478346)
Subject: Re: Volunteers to assist in monitoring compliance on the water?

Good thoughts, thanks. Didn't mean for the volunteers to be authorized beyond collecting the info necessary for an appropriate local authority's consideration. We don't need no hangin's at the landing. The end goal is to educate lake users that they can be held accountable for violations even if the law is not on the water. Increased risk of being caught will usually reduce temptation to violate in the first place.
Ebenezer
Posted 1/28/2011 11:14 PM (#478439 - in reply to #478427)
Subject: Re: Volunteers to assist in monitoring compliance on the water?

Ranger lives in an area with compliant people. I do not. If I merely suggest what I see is not in accordance with regulations, I get: 1) I don't care; 2) I didn't know; 3) Who are you for thinking you are better than me. My typical response is, "I'm trying to save you the hassle of dealing with someone else."

About 15 years ago, I gave up trying to be Big Brother, and now I only care about what I do and how what I do follows set regulations.
Brian Hoffies
Posted 1/29/2011 3:22 PM (#478521 - in reply to #478346)

Here in Minnesota they have people stationed at the landings on Mille Lacs from time to time. Basically wanting to know how many hours you fished, how many did you catch, how many are you keeping. This is done as a creel survey for the mortality rates on the slot limit issue. My answer is 10 minutes, zero catch, zero release, zero information.

This has always been for Walleyes. Nobody has ever asked anything about Muskie.

Last few years they have people explaining the evasive species issue also.

I don't know if these people are volunteers. I'm pretty sure they get paid although not much. More of a internment program I think.