I apologize
MuskyHopeful
Posted 1/27/2011 2:46 PM (#478200)
Subject: I apologize

I see my Irritating Zealots thread was deleted as it most likely deserved. I wouldn't really club a fish out of spite. Last night I read a post in another thread that had a tone to it that raised the plethora of hair on my back so I fired that one off. There are so many guys on this and other fishing forums that do a lot to improve musky fishing everywhere, and they do it in a manner that is gracious, informative, and educational. Guys like Shawn Kellet, Norm Wild, and Mike Roberts come to mind. While I only know Norm personally, I mention these three off the top of my head. It seems Shawn is constantly in the mix over in MN working to protect musky angling and increase stocking, yet I never see him insult, bully, or belittle while trying to accomplish his goals. I mention Norm and Mike, I know others were also involved, because of how graciously they went about their business when trying to have the 50" limit put in place on Pelican. There are many other instances of success using the same techniques.

I also think of some of the guys that were kind of enough to use their great passion to teach me a few things in the five years I've been coming to this board. Because of them, I'm out doing my little thing to gently increase awareness when an opportunity presents itself, and I don't even really fish anymore.

Then there are others that constantly employ veiled and insulting generalizations when
they go about their business. These people fit my definition of zealots, and in my opinion they do more harm than good.

Carry on. And how about those Packers!.

Kevin
lambeau
Posted 1/27/2011 4:19 PM (#478217 - in reply to #478200)
Subject: RE: I apologize

tone matters...a lot. so you're right to point out that angry chastisement turns more people away than friendly education. of course, you chose to use angry chastisement to send your message, too.

while encouraging each other to be friendly in educating others about resource issues, it bears remembering that the "zealots" are also the ones who are most likely to be out there doing the work to make change happen. we might cringe at their tone sometimes, but without some rough-edged passionate folks in the mix there wouldn't be much progress either.

both/and.

Posted 1/27/2011 4:29 PM (#478222 - in reply to #478200)
Subject: RE: I apologize

I was just happy to see, that a few here are not "zealots."

GO PACK!
Pointerpride102
Posted 1/27/2011 4:38 PM (#478223 - in reply to #478222)
Subject: Re: I apologize

Tone can often be misconstrued on the internet. Also, sometimes the truth hurts and there is no way around it.
esoxaddict
Posted 1/27/2011 4:42 PM (#478224 - in reply to #478200)

Seems to me the people out there getting things done are the least vocal around here. They're just quietly dedicating their time and energy to improving the resource. And Pointer is right -- the truth is something people often do not tolerate well. Granted there are sometimes better ways to get your point across than just being direct and telling people exactly what you think, but... Some of us just don't sugarcoat things very well.
VMS
Posted 1/27/2011 5:26 PM (#478233 - in reply to #478223)

Pointerpride102 - 1/27/2011 4:38 PM

Tone can often be misconstrued on the internet. Also, sometimes the truth hurts and there is no way around it.

Very true on tone...so when it comes to any responses one can definitely make it much better...and that is "choose your words wisely" when one writes and always consider the "tone" before one sends it off to the internet readers.

The "truth" in one's eyes may not be truth to another. In many cases this is where controversies start and sometimes colorful and heated remarks come from. Definitely NOT a good thing for younger eyes to see, as we who respond on here should be advocating positive aspects of this great fish we call Muskie, and many are seen as ones to look up to and respect. We all need to do our part.

All too often sarcastic remarks portray a condescending attitude toward others and their opinions, even when one thinks they are being funny. Unless one knows the writer well, it rarely is taken well by the majority of readers and I feel should be avoided at all costs...a lesson I think we all have to be reminded of from time to time.

Steve

jonnysled
Posted 1/27/2011 5:28 PM (#478234 - in reply to #478233)

who's this "one" dude?
Fish and Whistle
Posted 1/27/2011 5:44 PM (#478241 - in reply to #478200)

I am not one dude, but I am "The Dude"...does that count. So that's what you call me. That or His Dudeness... Duder... or El Duderino, if, you know, you're not into the whole brevity thing.

GO STEELERS!!!!! Stairway to Seven!!!

Edited by Fish and Whistle 1/27/2011 5:47 PM
Hunter4
Posted 1/28/2011 8:02 AM (#478291 - in reply to #478200)

Dave,

Jeff Bridges is "The Dude". Funny post.
Posted 1/28/2011 11:03 AM (#478317 - in reply to #478223)

Pointerpride102 - 1/27/2011 4:38 PM

Truth? As Seinfeld says, “As you see it…” The Internet has no tone. Your words are what they are. Then there’s that ‘Golden Rule” thing…
sworrall
Posted 1/28/2011 12:36 PM (#478338 - in reply to #478200)

One should know that, Sled. King's English...and a good thing interjected into the rather odd lingo here once in awhile.
Muskie Treats
Posted 1/28/2011 9:27 PM (#478426 - in reply to #478200)

Thanks for the kind words Kevin!

Truthfully though I've peeed off plenty of people along the way. As Steve and others can tell you I was pretty brash when I first started. Chalk it up to being young and inexperienced. At least I can say that I've learned from my mistakes along the way and hopefully have grown a bit wiser too. That's not to say that I don't still rub people wrong for time to time (or more often).

I know one person that I work a lot with and to put it mildly he's had a hell of a last two years. Between working 1/2 time, facing potential unemployment, family deaths, and most currently a spouse that had to have surgery it's amazing that he is still at it. True some don't always say the right thing all the time, but at the end of the day we all have to realize that we're all human. It's easy to get jaded doing the work that people like myself, Kevin, Norm, etc do and sometimes it does get the best of us and we don't come off the best. You can say the right things the right way 99 times online and the wrong way once and you're in trouble. That's life and most people can deal with it if they are doing the right thing for the right reasons. Everyone just needs to remember that once you hit enter what you said is eternal. I can't even count the number of threads/comments I've deleted at the time and thank God I did. That and don't post drunk (I've learned the hard way on that one too LOL).

Ebenezer
Posted 1/28/2011 11:16 PM (#478440 - in reply to #478426)

Tru dat, Shawn (15 beers into the night!)
Wisconsin Wade
Posted 1/29/2011 6:18 AM (#478446 - in reply to #478440)

Great Husker Du Song!
"all these crazy mixed up lies floating all around, making these assumptions brings me down"