6 inch jake vs 6 inch grandmma?
pepsiboy
Posted 1/27/2011 2:12 PM (#478187)
Subject: 6 inch jake vs 6 inch grandmma?

who make the best for speed trolling?
Lunge Master
Posted 1/27/2011 5:08 PM (#478230 - in reply to #478187)
Subject: RE: 6 inch jake vs 6 inch grandmma?

Hard to say since both are very similar to each other. Typically any lure used for speed trolling is often modified (but not always) in some manner.
I cut the lips on Grandmas, narrow them to match the width of the body and shorten the lip by half to increase the speed limit on them and use inline weights up to three ounces three feet ahead of them.

If you are looking for an effective speed racer then try the Suick Musky Thriller or the Sledge, both jerk baits and both fantastic speed trollers.

Tuning them to run true at "speed trolling" speeds can be very frustrating, a very very little input on the Suick's metal tail goes a long long way. Not every one of them right out of the package is going to prove to be an effective candidate that performs acceptably, some of them have what it takes and most just don't. Only trial and error will reveal this.

The Sledge has no tail plane. You have to use a file in the grooves to tune this one, shaving off a little at a time on the side you identify that needs it, a little filing, run it, a little more filing until you get it to where it runs without spinning out.
marsh
Posted 1/27/2011 5:36 PM (#478238 - in reply to #478187)
Subject: Re: 6 inch jake vs 6 inch grandmma?

How fast are you talking about Lunge Master?
Jeff Hanson
Posted 1/27/2011 5:43 PM (#478240 - in reply to #478238)

They are almost even. But lots have issues over 3.5mph and you realy need to be carefull twisting on the front eyelet of the bait it when tunning them, they can crack rather easily especialy if it is cold, then they take on water. You will be better off running a MX6
Good luck
Jeff Hanson
madisonmuskyguide.com
Lunge Master
Posted 1/27/2011 8:37 PM (#478260 - in reply to #478238)

marsh - 1/27/2011 6:36 PM

How fast are you talking about Lunge Master?

Up to seven mph or so. If you really want to clip along there are plenty of saltwater lures that can go double that figure but that's getting pretty scary considering the forces involved. 7 is plenty fast, I've never gone higher than 7 or 8 tops. Not that I don't think a muskie wouldn't hit something faster than that, I believe they are likely capable of 20 themselves but that would be quite a slam, a four foot fish hitting a one pound lure at 10 mph or more would be just brutal on the fish and all the gear.