Do rattles work on Esox? They sure don't hurt..
sworrall
Posted 1/23/2011 10:29 PM (#477329)
Subject: Do rattles work on Esox? They sure don't hurt..

The big Lindy Darter is REALLY loud, you can hear the rattles above the ice from 8' down.

The Pike ate it today like it was candy. I wonder what a 8" model would do for those deep muskies?

http://muskie.outdoorsfirst.com/watch.asp?id=3181
fish4musky1
Posted 1/23/2011 10:33 PM (#477330 - in reply to #477329)
Subject: RE: Do rattles work on Esox? They sure don't hurt..

Nice footage
pepsiboy
Posted 1/24/2011 2:32 AM (#477344 - in reply to #477329)
Subject: Re: Do rattles work on Esox? They sure don't hurt..

yeah nice video
i really like the rattl'n flyer spoon for pike,perch walleye
have not try yet the darter,it look like it work
Allstate48
Posted 1/24/2011 3:48 AM (#477347 - in reply to #477329)

Good footage Mr. Worrall.
CiscoKid
Posted 1/24/2011 8:30 AM (#477366 - in reply to #477329)

Like anything it depends on the day, and lake. While icefishing I have watched fish get attracted to Rattler spoons only to spook from the rattle while close. Drop down a silenced spoon, and they ate. So the rattles attracted from a distance, but close up it spooked them. So I would jig aggressively in one hole with a rattler spoon, and have another non-rattler spoon in another hole next to it. When fish arrived I quite with the rattler, and started up with the silent approach.

Same deal with muskies. There are a few lakes that I catch very few fish on baits with rattles. However, switch to a silenced one and it produces.

Good to have both options on hand regardless of on the water or ice!
Junkman
Posted 1/24/2011 8:50 AM (#477374 - in reply to #477366)

I have long added rattles to my soft plastics. The main problem for me is that I prefer the ones that have steel ball bearings inside of glass tubes as they create a lot more racket than the ones that are sold in plastic tubes. Naturally, they break all the time and it is a pain in the butt to use them. Still, this is a time tested and proven tactic for bass and like a lot of the musky stuff we do, that's where the original research and development came from. Marty Forman
edalz
Posted 1/24/2011 5:42 PM (#477490 - in reply to #477329)

Where do you get large rattles?
Junkman
Posted 1/24/2011 8:30 PM (#477522 - in reply to #477490)

I don't know where to get big ones, I generally use three small ones. They are available at Cabellas and Bass Pro. Marty
Oneida Esox
Posted 1/25/2011 7:04 AM (#477584 - in reply to #477522)

Listen to what Travis says.

While I don't have the ice fishing experience that he does, but when I fish certain musky waters, I only throw lures with no rattles.

John
sworrall
Posted 1/25/2011 7:36 PM (#477725 - in reply to #477329)

'Like anything it depends on the day, and lake. While icefishing I have watched fish get attracted to Rattler spoons only to spook from the rattle while close. Drop down a silenced spoon, and they ate. So the rattles attracted from a distance, but close up it spooked them. So I would jig aggressively in one hole with a rattler spoon, and have another non-rattler spoon in another hole next to it. When fish arrived I quite with the rattler, and started up with the silent approach. '

Travis,
You will notice I had a Slick Jig down as well, tipped with a Golden Shiner. The Darter out produced it 7 to 1 that day, but may not the next...we'll see. I haven't seen a Pike freak out from the Darter rattle yet (two years of experience watching the camera) but if I do, I'm ready with the silent approach!
CiscoKid
Posted 1/25/2011 8:45 PM (#477748 - in reply to #477725)

sworrall - 1/25/2011 7:36 PM

'Like anything it depends on the day, and lake. While icefishing I have watched fish get attracted to Rattler spoons only to spook from the rattle while close. Drop down a silenced spoon, and they ate. So the rattles attracted from a distance, but close up it spooked them. So I would jig aggressively in one hole with a rattler spoon, and have another non-rattler spoon in another hole next to it. When fish arrived I quite with the rattler, and started up with the silent approach. '

Travis,
You will notice I had a Slick Jig down as well, tipped with a Golden Shiner. The Darter out produced it 7 to 1 that day, but may not the next...we'll see. I haven't seen a Pike freak out from the Darter rattle yet (two years of experience watching the camera) but if I do, I'm ready with the silent approach!

Hence my day/lake comment.

Honestly I was also thinking about more than just pike. The rattle spook really affects other fish more than the pike in my opinion. I find pike dumb in the winter, but then again I don't catch giants. Usually through the ice the more aggresive approach get the pike.

Muskies, the other esox, are a bit different though from what I have watched from above. They usually like the subtle approach.
sworrall
Posted 1/25/2011 8:54 PM (#477749 - in reply to #477329)

I have lots of video of Muskies under the ice. What I've seen is violent activity brings them in for a look, and the camera looks like something to eat quite frequently; they seem mesmerized by it. Bass behave pretty much the same, it seems, but mouth the camera more frequently.

Perch love the smaller Darter, as do Crappies and Walleyes. Gills, not so much, probably because they spend more time eating insects than other fish. I'd like to see an 8" darter work...with or without rattles.

CiscoKid
Posted 1/25/2011 9:00 PM (#477750 - in reply to #477749)

sworrall - 1/25/2011 8:54 PM
I'd like to see an 8" darter work...with or without rattles.

Would be interesting. Probably look like a Bondy Bait or a Hardhead vertically jigged.
sworrall
Posted 1/25/2011 9:23 PM (#477756 - in reply to #477329)

Travis, that thing sweeps out 3' in 6' of water, covering up to a 6' circle if you work it like it's intended to be worked. It moves more than any vertical jigging presentation I have in the box, out in a half circle, then wobbling down to dead center. I know muskies will hit the large model, I'd just like to see one larger.
muskellunged
Posted 1/25/2011 9:57 PM (#477765 - in reply to #477329)

Steve,
How much do you lift the darter for the most slide(Largest Size)? I like the perch pattern a lot!
Top H2O
Posted 1/25/2011 10:22 PM (#477767 - in reply to #477329)

sworrall - 1/23/2011 10:29 PM

The big Lindy Darter is REALLY loud, you can hear the rattles above the ice from 8' down.

The Pike ate it today like it was candy. I wonder what a 8" model would do for those deep muskies?

http://muskie.outdoorsfirst.com/watch.asp?id=3181

Rattle Traps, Believer's, Depth Raiders, Jake's, ect,ect,ect, have always worked for me....I think an 8" Lindy Darter would get eaten for sure.

Jerome