Trailering Question
mcgeissler
Posted 1/20/2011 11:17 AM (#476566)
Subject: Trailering Question

I recently purchased a 2005 Honda Pilot and I am in the process of putting the tow package on it. It is not wired for a 7 pin connector, but has a connection for a 4 pin wiring harness. I plan to buy a Tuffy (1700GT, 1760GT, maybe the new X176T) in the future. What connection do these boats use? I don't plan to tow a camper, is there any benefit to having a 7 pin connection and what is the best way to go about doing this? Thanks for the help!

Matt
MuskieMike
Posted 1/20/2011 12:28 PM (#476584 - in reply to #476566)
Subject: RE: Trailering Question

The Tuffy's will come with a 4 pin I believe. I don't think you need a 7 pin, unless your trailer has electronic brakes on it.
lambeau
Posted 1/20/2011 12:31 PM (#476586 - in reply to #476566)
Subject: RE: Trailering Question

it's pretty much the same regardless of what brand boat you buy.

if it does not have brakes, a standard flat 4-pin plug is all you need to run the lights.
if the trailer has surge brakes, you'll need a flat 5-pin plug. the extra line on the plug disengages the brake solenoid when you put the truck in reverse so you can back up without activating the surge brakes.
you can get in-line adapters to convert your truck's flat 4-pin into flat 5-pin; or to convert a 7-round into a flat 5-pin at most any trailer or marine store. the adapters mean that if you've currently got a 4-flat, you should be fine with whatever boat you end up getting.

with the size of the boats you're considering, trailer brakes will probably be optional. that said, i think they're one of the better options to get - the additional safety from being able to stop more quickly is money well spent.

Edited by lambeau 1/20/2011 12:35 PM
Biddler2
Posted 1/20/2011 2:54 PM (#476610 - in reply to #476566)
Subject: Re: Trailering Question

I would suggest the 7 pin because of flexibility. You can buy a 7 pin that on the back will have a plug in for the 4 flat and then all you do is run a ground wire which is supplied to your truck. This way you can pull any combination with the right adaptor from the trailer to the 7. I purchased the items from etrailer.com.

Edited by Biddler2 1/20/2011 2:56 PM
VMS
Posted 1/20/2011 4:28 PM (#476619 - in reply to #476566)
Subject: Re: Trailering Question

Hiya,

Looking at the boats you are considering, the 1760 series of boats will be 1400 pounds by itself unrigged. Then, depending on the motor you go with, you are looking at another oh...say 300 pounds or so if you go with a tiller model 4 stroke, or upwards of 400 pounds or more in a 4 stroke on a console model. Then add a trolling motor and a few batteries along with your gear, you are getting close to 2500 pounds, and we have yet to consider gas...

If you go to a 1760 series, I would highly suggest trailer brakes since you will want extra capacity on the trailer when the boat is normally loaded. Usually a trailer rated to carry around 600 - 800 pounds more than what you normally have in it is ideal...especially if you plan to take the boat on any trips where multiple people need to bring gear. It does not take long to overload a trailer and that I can tell you from experience is a bad bad thing. Been on a couple of trips where trailers have actually cracked in half due to the excess weight bouncing down the road...not pretty....

If I were to make a recommendation, I would say plan to upgrade your wiring harness to a minimum of a 5 flat, just to be ready for needing brakes on your trailer. It is much safer in the long run and much easier on your trucks brakes as well.. I would prefer going to the 7 pin because a good 7 pin harness on the truck will have a spring loaded cap over the pins, keeping water and debris out while not towing. It will also have a nice looking finish to it as well regardless if you install it with a bracket on or next to the hitch frame, or if you get ambitious enough, through the bumper somewhere. Then, get a 7 pin to five flat coiled adapter to go to your trailer. This way, if you don't get brakes, you are good to go with a 4 flat on the trailer, and if you do get brakes, you are set as well with the 5 flat. The coiled adapters are well built and very very nice!! It also will pay off if you ever have to rent a u-hall that has brakes... They love getting people who have just the 4 flat, because they sell the harness to use the 5 flat.

1700 series: I'd go no lower than 3000 pounds on trailer capacity.
1760 series: No lower than 3500 pound capacity.

Best to err on the high side, and pay a little more ahead of time.

Steve