Kicker motor Question
cast4musky
Posted 1/10/2011 4:37 PM (#474667)
Subject: Kicker motor Question

I need to purchase a 9.9 outboard for a kicker motor on the lakes that are restricted in my state. My Question is Will a 9.9 short shaft Kicker motor work on a V shaped Hull. My transom is a 20 inches at the center....This is a V shaped hull and the transom only measures 17 1/2 inches on either side of the larger Main Motor... I only use this for trolling around at speeds under 5mph. and the cavitation plate will surely be submerged. I know a long shaft would probably be the correct length, but I was wondering if because of the V shaped hull it would be only about 2 1/2 inches difference........ I know that the maximum speed on te boat with the 9.9 will probably only be about 7 to 8 mph. so it will never get on plane or cavitate from lack of water as it will be going to slow...I was thinking it would just be a little slower...... Your thoughts?? (2007 9.9 4 stroke like new only $750) Thanks Mike
VMS
Posted 1/10/2011 5:20 PM (#474680 - in reply to #474667)
Subject: Re: Kicker motor Question

hiya,

if it is only 2-1/2", I would say you are pretty safe. If you are backing up with the kicker, it will not respond as well since you might see some thrust directed right into the hull rather than below it, but that little bit is not all that bad...most of the propeller will still be below the hull of the boat.

At that price, though, I would say that if it didn't work out, you'd not lose a penny on that motor if you turned around and resold it...

Steve
cast4musky
Posted 1/10/2011 5:52 PM (#474688 - in reply to #474680)
Subject: Re: Kicker motor Question

I thought the same thing, heck all I have to get is about 4mph... I think I will go for it........thanks Mike Sr.