X190 Pilots Question
Farmer Rick
Posted 1/5/2011 7:38 PM (#473684)
Subject: X190 Pilots Question

Hey guys,
Now that the x-190 has been out for a couple of years I wanted to know your thoughts and reviews about this boat. On other topics I have inquired about other deep v boats and got lots of good answers. Still got my esox mag but want to change to something that will handle lotw better. The place we go is wide open to the west up there and gets pretty rough at least a couple days every year it seems and I hate fishing out of a rental boat even though it gets us out. I have held off getting a different boat because the mag is so great to fish out of.

How much lower is the 190 compared to the other deep vs... I really like being close to the water but want to be able to fish where I want and be able to get in safe. I am really intrigued by the new 176 coming out and cant wait to see one..

twells
Posted 1/6/2011 9:22 AM (#473735 - in reply to #473684)
Subject: RE: X190 Pilots Question

I have had my x190 for a year now and love it. It does sit low in the water for fishing but doesn't ride like it in my opinion. I have had it out on Green Bay a few times this past year and not had problems. If you order one I would order it with the rear deck extension option. It is easy to take out but very nice to have when you are fishing with 2 or 3 people. I personally like the versitlity of the boat of being able to have a dance floor to fish off of, room for trolling or going for a boat ride withe the extension out. Rod lockers are big. I have put 9 foot rods in there. Dry Storage is good. I would not hesitate to but another one like it.
Almost-B-Good
Posted 1/7/2011 10:20 AM (#473941 - in reply to #473684)
Subject: RE: X190 Pilots Question

If you fish mostly big open water the X-190 is not the best choice. If you fish ocassionally on big open water it's fine. The boat will handle rougher water than I ever want to fish. I've had it in honest four footers, where the waves were head high or higher while I was seated at the console and it handled it OK for motoring through. I sure wouldn't want to fish it in that though. You'd never be able to stand up front without getting thrown out of the boat if you tried it and would get beat up trolling in that stuff. The X-190 just plain isn't a big rough water fishing boat. It is a handfull to keep on plane at slower speeds in those big waves, but it can be done if nescessary without compromising your safety if you have the skills.

The X-190 really excells at calm to choppy conditions where you need to cover large distances. In other words it is great in normal fishing conditions. The only problem I had was taking water over the front motor trolling into waves on Winnebago, but that is a unique situation because of the extreme size and shallow depths of the lake creating short distances between wave crests. On Canadian lakes where you have three to six miles of open water in stretches it is fine. On larger deeper waters you can easily troll into 3 footers and stay dry.

It has the absolute best interior layout I have ever fished from for muskies. It gives you a really nice ride and even with a 3L 200HP it gives good fuel economy. But again, if you want to stay dry and comfortable in really big waves, forget it. There are better boats out there if that is the primary concern.

The front deck seems to be about 8 inches to a foot lower than my old deep V Alumacraft 18.5' rig. But is still higher than you realize till you bend over to work on a fish.
Farmer Rick
Posted 1/7/2011 2:12 PM (#473991 - in reply to #473684)
Subject: Re: X190 Pilots Question

I am not necessarily looking for a big water boat. My esox mag does me pretty well most of the time but I always have to have my eye on the horizon and when storms are forcast I'm usually pretty uneasy. I want to aleviate that feeling. The X-190 looks like a great compromise between deep v and not... My mag is pretty comfortable till the waves get about 1ft it will handle pretty well to about 2ftrs when traveling but not fishing. I don't really like fishing in rough water either but want to be able to travel across the rough stuff to get to comfortable water and know that I can make it back safe (not necessarily dry) to the lodge or dock...
Rick
Almost-B-Good
Posted 1/10/2011 6:51 AM (#474550 - in reply to #473991)
Subject: Re: X190 Pilots Question

Your outlook sounds like mine, fish till you get nervous and then run. In that case the X-190 would be a very good boat for you. I've had the boat 10 miles out and when a bad looking storm came bearing down on us I outran it back to the dock. It was a little bumpy, but when you're running 58mph with 2 foot plus waves you hit a couple odd ones once in a while. After you've had the boat for a while you get used to what it likes to do and can adjust your driving habits to take advantage of it. Like I said, the boat will handle a lot more water than I can. I'll fish in three footers, but when it gets bigger than that I don't want any part of it.