anyone run a slyvan back troller?
muskiiiiiez
Posted 12/18/2010 7:26 PM (#471099)
Subject: anyone run a slyvan back troller?

You guys ever fish out of mid early 90s back troller with a tiller?... just wondering some opinions on the boat?......
muskiiiiiez
Posted 12/19/2010 7:01 PM (#471178 - in reply to #471099)
Subject: RE: anyone run a slyvan back troller?

sylvan backtroller
Jobu
Posted 12/20/2010 8:38 AM (#471242 - in reply to #471099)
Subject: RE: anyone run a slyvan back troller?

Hey Muskiiiiiez--- I used to run one of these bad boys------I still "technically" own one, but I bought a new Princecraft in '06. The backtroller was really SOLID. Mine came with a 40 hp Evinrude---more than enough power for that boat. I liked my Sylvan.....alot----but I absolutely LOVE my P-craft----good luck to ya----Jobu
Jono
Posted 12/21/2010 8:30 AM (#471346 - in reply to #471099)
Subject: Re: anyone run a slyvan back troller?

I had a Sylvan Backtroller Select T for many years. I think it was a '92. Had a 50 evinrude on it which was 10 horses less than max rating.
The bad: had some trouble getting on plane when the boat was loaded. added a fin to the motor and improved a lot. can be a very wet ride in rough stuff quartering but many boats that way. No back deck, had to fabricate one. The switch console was close enough to the gunnel that guests would kick the switches, found my bilge pump running more than once. No rod storage, no dry storage, small livewell.

The good: a nice small rig that can fish in big water. Two guys can fish comfortably. I had my boat on LOTW, and other big water but small enough for the crudest landings on small water too. I liked the large gas tank (23 gal), made it easy to range around on the woods. I bought mine used. Ran it for 5 or 6 years. Sold it for what I paid for it and the guy who has it now (I think 4 years for him) is pleased. It had "muskie karma" when I bought it and still continues on that way.

Good Luck,
Jono