Towing with 2wd..
Posted 12/5/2010 7:01 PM (#469105)
Subject: Towing with 2wd..

Anybody on here tow there rigs with only 2wd trucks? I have a 2wd silverado with a V8 and was wondering if itd be a problem towing a rig geting in and out of launchs... Any opinions?

thanks guys
VMS
Posted 12/5/2010 8:16 PM (#469124 - in reply to #469105)
Subject: Re: Towing with 2wd..

Hiya,

If the launch is good and solid, it should not be any problem. A V8 engine will do really well, but some ramps (really steep and slippery, or soft and sandy) could pose a problem...especially if the 2wd does not have a limited slip rear differential. It also depends on the size of the rig you are trying to pull out as well...if it is really heavy, it could be even more of an issue....

It can be done, though. I would be considering the lakes where I would spend the majority of my time fishing, or looking to fish, and see if I could find out information about the ramps... If they are decent, I would think most would not pose a problem...

Just some random thoughts on it...

Steve
esoxfly
Posted 12/5/2010 9:23 PM (#469133 - in reply to #469105)

As always, Steve is spot-on. 4WD doesn't effect towing. As far as in and out of launches, it shouldn't be an issue. But there are limitations...and they all kinda blend together...size of your boat, ice, mud, etc. Like tonight, pulling my boat out of the water, the ramp was iced up. I tow a pretty large, heavy boat, so my 4WD gave me the traction I needed to get up and out. I could feel and hear my limited slip engaging and my front tires pulling. But a buddy of mine towing a much lighter boat got out of the same ramp in his 2WD van right after I did with no issues. So barring ice or low traction conditions on the ramp, and not too heavy a boat, then 2WD isn't a problem. Alot of guys tow with 2WD.
Muskie Treats
Posted 12/6/2010 6:03 PM (#469259 - in reply to #469133)

I can't remember the last time I've used my 4wd at the landing. To be fair though I run decent tires and get rid of them before may people. You're probably fine so long as you're not trying pull the Queen Mary out of a steep landing.
MartinTD
Posted 12/8/2010 1:15 PM (#469560 - in reply to #469105)

I've only owned my boat for 3 years but the first time I've ever used the 4WD on my truck was this November (opening day of deer hunting was my last time out) when the blacktop was just a little iced up where the waves had been sloshing up.

In other words. 4WD is not necessary. However, be conscious of your limitations with 2WD. Scope out any new landings before launching. If you're not quite sure, you're better off going to a different lake.

Edited by MartinTD 12/8/2010 1:17 PM
Almost-B-Good
Posted 12/13/2010 8:23 AM (#470319 - in reply to #469105)
Subject: RE: Towing with 2wd..

I've run nothing but 4X4's foir the last 33 years towing. Almost every year there are a couple times where I needed the 4 wheel drive or I'd have been screwed. Mostly it is snow and ice early and late or steep gravel Canadian launches in summer. For all the other times I've been in 2 wheel drive, but every truck had some form of limited slip rear end.

It's a learning curve. You do it enough you get pretty good at figuring out what you can and can't do in 2 wheel drive. For the most part 2 wheel drive is all you need.

Part of the learning is if can you get your boat off and on the trailer without getting your trailer wheels into a hole, behind a big rock or off the edge of a ramp. All it takes is something blocking the trailer wheels and you're in worse trouble with two wheel drive. With care you eliminate that problem and then it's just simple traction problems from ice, and loose gravel/sand that can make it miserable to launch and load.

You can always take along a bag of salt/sand for real early or late trips if there are below freezing temps and ice patches on the ramps.
WI Skis
Posted 12/13/2010 11:18 AM (#470332 - in reply to #469105)

Stay away from Crab Lake!

Peter
suicknut
Posted 12/13/2010 4:20 PM (#470395 - in reply to #470332)

For guys with 4 wd a little thing I do is to use 4 low every time at the launch just to engage the gears even if I don't need it, I have heard of guys that have needed to use 4 low for one reason or another and had problems getting it to engage mainly because it is seldom if ever used but when you need it its really nice to have.
Lunchbox
Posted 12/14/2010 7:59 PM (#470642 - in reply to #469105)
Subject: RE: Towing with 2wd..

I use the same 2wd truck (5.3L) to tow a 692 Ranger. I have trouble getting traction on steep wet launches and in November when launching first thing in the am (bring some salt). I'm going to leave a couple sand tubes in the bed next summer to aid traction on those steep launches. Other than that, it works fine. You'll probably be the only 2wd at the landing.

Although the owner's manual says it is fine to pull in drive, I found improved power, transmission stability, and gas mileage (yes!) when pulling in 3rd gear. The engine ran cooler, too.