Lakemaster chip malfunction
short STRIKE
Posted 11/24/2010 8:27 AM (#467918)
Subject: Lakemaster chip malfunction

Anyone have one of these cards ever go completely blank? I was out last and my sonar/GPS screen just locked up and stated that an error had occurred in my MMC chip. So I did a reset and upon reboot the chip was no longer being read by my 520c. So i went up to the bow with the chip to my other GPS unit to try my luck there and no dice, same thing... now just to be sure it was the chip, I got home and threw it into my handheld H2O and still no contours, and on all 3 units the chip icon in the lower right doesn't appear which to me means the units arent reading the chip... I called Lakemaster and they tried to sell me a 2011 but other than that, not much they could do... anyone have a thought or idea, any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Geno

Reef Hawg
Posted 11/27/2010 7:39 PM (#468302 - in reply to #467918)
Subject: RE: Lakemaster chip malfunction

I had a two year old Navionics chip do the same thing. One day, my units(or any for that matter) no longer read the card. I called Navionics and they agreed to give the rebate off a new chip. I was planning to send the chip in after seasons end, so it worked out well. Not sure if Lakemaster has the trade in program yet or not. Hoping they do at some point. One thing to be sure of, is to never try to save data to a map chip. You will read this in the chips' instructions and will be told by any software tech at LM or Nav.
short STRIKE
Posted 12/6/2010 7:39 PM (#469267 - in reply to #468302)
Subject: RE: Lakemaster chip malfunction

I figured it out after spending some time with a Reeds CS Rep in the store... actually he figured it out for me. Turns out my LM chip is essentially 2 chips in 1. The big chip is basically just an adapter to fit electronics, with the memory and data storage part being a tiny part that clips into the adapter... so my adapter went bad and wasn't relaying data any longer, causing my graphs to malfunction as well... all I had to do was buy a new generic chip and plug the small memory part into it and all was well again, just in case anyone else experiences this problem... Thanks for your reply Reef