Has anyone seen the new St. Croix Big Nasty?
muskymandan
Posted 10/31/2010 6:57 PM (#465184)
Subject: Has anyone seen the new St. Croix Big Nasty?

Has anyone seen or fished with the St Croix Big Nasty. It is a 9' rod that has a 2-6 oz weight rating on it. If anyone can give me some info on the rod I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks
Daniel
Posted 10/31/2010 7:32 PM (#465190 - in reply to #465184)
Subject: RE: Has anyone seen the new St. Croix Big Nasty?

I got to handle one yesterday and I was impressed. Perfect action for throwing mags and double tens.
muskymandan
Posted 10/31/2010 8:23 PM (#465195 - in reply to #465184)

Sounds great...I have the big dawg and the slingblade 8' 6" ers was the extra 6" akward at all on the 9 footer?
I am only 5' 10" tall so my arms are only so long...lol
I had a thorne bros custom 8' 4" mega swimbait rod that had too much cork for me I couldn't get it under my arm on the figure 8's
Now my buddy is the proud owner of a thorne bros custom
2labradors
Posted 10/31/2010 8:32 PM (#465199 - in reply to #465184)
Subject: Re: Has anyone seen the new St. Croix Big Nasty?

If you like your slingblade and big dawg you'll love the big nasty, the extra 6" doesn't take long to get used to.
BNelson
Posted 10/31/2010 9:14 PM (#465204 - in reply to #465199)

most of my rods are custom 9 footers...once you go to a 9' you won't go back to shorter imo..the only rod under 9 I use is an 8' for side to side stuff....that new St Croix sounds pretty sweet..i will have to look at one soon
thanks for posting about it.
short STRIKE
Posted 11/1/2010 6:39 PM (#465299 - in reply to #465204)

I picked up the "Big Nasty" a couple weeks ago, it is one sweet stick, I havent put it down yet, throwin everything but pounders with it. I am not snap casting mag dawgs though, more of a lob cast. feels almost light as air in my hands. The $360.00 w/ tax took some convincing but I will get every dollar out of this thing and then some. with the lifetime warranty I will be able to pass it down to my kid one day.
Jsondag
Posted 11/2/2010 8:18 PM (#465417 - in reply to #465184)

I have both the straight grip and the split grip Big Nasty. The rod is sick!!! It has a softer tip than the Slingblade, but seems to load higher up the blank IMO. I put it to the test the last month or so. I have thrown mag dawgs, topwaters, glide baits, and blades 10's & 13's. handled them all perfect except casting the lofty 13's were slightly much. Today I even threw a pounder with it for a while. It handled the weight on a cast, but I wouldn't recommend days of throwing it. and I worry about the flex on the hookset with giant rubber. The power of the rod may not be enough to move the big softy when teeth are dug into it. I've caught fish on all the baits listed above with the Nasty except on pounders. This rod is a must have for any rod battery. I put a LJV on it and it is a sick combo. I have a second split grip on the way and I'm putting the new trinidad 14 on it. Can't wait. The rod is much more finesse than the Big Dawg and has more touch than the Slingblade. Once you handle it you'll see what I mean. Get this model, you won't regret it.
muskymandan
Posted 11/2/2010 9:02 PM (#465420 - in reply to #465184)

Thanks everybody for the input on the St Croix Big Nasty....Plain and Simple I have a musky problem like many of you... I guess I am going to have to get a Big Nasty....or 2
thanks again
Daniel