Spinning reels...............
Muddy41
Posted 9/29/2010 12:35 PM (#461398)
Subject: Spinning reels...............

With all the research I have done to get ready for my first outing chasing muskies I have never an across anyone or really any readings where people where using spinning reels for muskies.

DO people use spinning reels for musky fishing. I know for ocean fishing my uncles out west used them for catching salmon all the time. But I have never read or seen sping reals for sale or anything at all.

Does anyone use them if so what are you using for reels and what application are you using them for.

Just another 1 of my many questions!!

Thanks
Mike
MuskyMATT7
Posted 9/29/2010 1:10 PM (#461407 - in reply to #461398)
Subject: Re: Spinning reels...............

I have heard of guys using heavy spinning gear for Muskies, but I doubt anyone would recommend it. I have hooked and landed a few muskies on spinning gear fishing with small jigs and lures. It was all cold water situations and I was able to land them quickly. In my opinion, baitcasting gear is easier to handle large fish with than spinning gear (in term of fighting freshwater fish such as bass or muskie in which "horsing" the fish in is a more correct term than "playing" the fish). Having a great deal of experience catching King Salmon, Snook, Amberjacks, and Redfish on light spinning gear, I can attest they can handle large fish well. However, there are many problems when attempting to musky fish with a spinning reel: figuring 8ing is much more difficult, setting the hook on a "locked" drag puts tremendous stress on the bail and roller bearing, and most spinning rods and reel do not cast heavy lures (over 5 ounces) well. Spinning reels could certainly handle landing muskies, however, as mentioned it is more the style in which most of us choose to pursue muskies that limits us to baitcasting gear.
Obfuscate Musky
Posted 9/29/2010 2:35 PM (#461422 - in reply to #461398)

I have a catfish rod/reel I put 80lb braid on and let guys who can't cast baitcasters that want to try muskie fishing to use. Works great.
Muddy41
Posted 9/29/2010 3:12 PM (#461429 - in reply to #461422)

Obfuscate Musky - 9/29/2010 2:35 PM

I have a catfish rod/reel I put 80lb braid on and let guys who can't cast baitcasters that want to try muskie fishing to use. Works great.

This actually why i was asking the question. My wife for 1 cannot cast my baitcaster if her life depended on it. She has practiced in the backyard even and just keeps creating birds nest that I have to pick though. So with my fishing trip starting tomorrow she has stated that she will not be fishing for skie because of the problems she has using the baitcaster.

I really want her to try and fish muskies with me. For both of us this would be the first time ever out fishing for them and to see her actually catch a musjy would make this fishing trip the best ever. So I will be throwing her baits for her and letting her reel. For reason we all know as a male I hope I catch my first musky before she does because I will never her the end of it!!! But yet at the same time I think it would be awesome if she did. But I will be trying my best to get her to fish them for a little while at least.

Anyone else have some thoughts on using spinning gear. I wished I had a spinning reel large enough to take wiht on the trip just to let her do the casting.

Obfuscate Musky
Posted 9/29/2010 3:37 PM (#461437 - in reply to #461398)

Grab the bigger Catfish Ugly Stick Rod/Reel combo and some line on your way up and both fish. Fairly inexpensive and you'll get good use from it. It's a nice setup if you get the chance to go fish for Big Cats also someday.
momuskies
Posted 9/29/2010 3:41 PM (#461439 - in reply to #461429)

My first 2 trips to Canada (approximately 15 years ago-several years before I could drive) I used a spinning reel. Basically just a heavy 6.5' spinning rod with a 4000 series spinning reel and 12 pound test. Works just fine for mepps bucktails and spinnerbaits. You could easily throw a topraider and smaller cranks with that set up.
twells
Posted 9/29/2010 4:34 PM (#461445 - in reply to #461398)
Subject: RE: Spinning reels...............

i fished with a guy a couple of times that he used a larger spinning reel and he seemed fine with it. It does work just harder on the reels.
If your wife is getting a lot of birds nest is the tension set right on the side of the reel for her and the bait that she is practicing with. I have heard from a few guide that say it is easier to train a woman to use a bait caster than a guy. I have both my boys using them already. The key was to set the tension correctly on the side so they don't get a mess. Once they get the feel of it then you can back the tension off to get a little further casts. I guess I would keep having her try it.My first 2 casts with a baitcaster resulted in 2 fill spooles getting completly cut off and start over then I asked someone how to use it and been fine since. Good luck on the first trip that could lead into a costly, addictive, and thrill seeking journey for the rest of your life.
fish4musky1
Posted 9/29/2010 5:23 PM (#461448 - in reply to #461398)

My girlfriend had never fished before in her life and after a few casts in the yard she barely has any backlashes. Make sure not to have her cast into the wind and tighten the knob on the side of the reel. A trick that worked for her is tell her you aim "high" with the rod tip when you cast. IDK I read it somewhere a while ago and it worked for her.

Also, some lures, like bucktails, are more prone to backlash imo. Heavier spinnerbaits cast well and don't require any special maneuver to get the blades going like some bucktails.

if she wants to throw bigger musky lures then a baitcaster is the way to go. If she wants to throw large rapalas or big bass spinnerbaits then maybe a large spinning outfit would be fine.
Muddy41
Posted 9/29/2010 5:50 PM (#461456 - in reply to #461429)

I have her throwing the actual lure minus the hooks. So she is throwing wood and plastic lures that she would be throwing at the lake.

I have 2 of my youger daughters having pretty good success throwing my baitcasters. They do get some backlashes from time to time but they both are doing real good.

Now as far as easier to train women verses men you might have something there. It kinda goes hand in hand that a women when lost will ask for direction as for a man well.........you know how the saying goes!!!!!!

I will work with her up at the lake and see how she does. I know she is not to thrilled about casting overall but I know she will drift for walleyes or even kick back and bobber fish. So just to get her to fish I am willing to let her do what ever she wants.

short STRIKE
Posted 9/29/2010 7:54 PM (#461463 - in reply to #461437)

Obfuscate Musky - 9/29/2010 3:37 PM

Grab the bigger Catfish Ugly Stick Rod/Reel combo and some line on your way up and both fish. Fairly inexpensive and you'll get good use from it. It's a nice setup if you get the chance to go fish for Big Cats also someday.

Thats the exact route i took with my wife, turns out she just plain hates fishing, claimed she could hear caught fish crying, had nothing to do with a baitcaster vs. spinning gear. Muddy, the set up is in my garage currently if you want to borrow it for your weekend, to keep from having to buy one it's yours. It is strung up and ready to go, and depending on what time your leaving, if your taking hwy. 10 to leach it is about a 1 mile detour from 10 in Blaine to my office.
MUSKYLUND1
Posted 9/30/2010 3:45 PM (#461555 - in reply to #461398)

If you are taking along a newbie who can't or won't learn to use a baitcaster a spinning reel can definitely work. I started musky fishing over 25 years ago with a spinning reel. That is what I had at the time and that is what I knew. I would definitely put on heavier line such as 14-17 lb and make sure they use a wire leader. As long as the baits are not too big or pull too hard you should be fine. After all you are not talking about someone who is going to be fishing muskies all day every day for the entire season. I had luck back in the day with small bucktails like the Mepps Musky Killer and Mepps Giant Killer. A Rizzo Whiz would also be a good bait.

I had some success with small jointed crankbaits like the old wooden Creek Chub Pikie Minnows. We've also had some success in recent years casting/retrieving small jointed Wiley cranks in the 5.5" or 6" sizes, which are close enough to the old Creek Chubs. You don't want to use any kind of larger bait where you have to impart a lot of erratic action. Most spinning outfits you are likely to use won't work well for that kind of presentation. I don't use them, but jig/creature type presentations should work well on spinning gear also. I've heard that Steve Worrall is well known for using this technique at times.

I think it also depends on where you are fishing. If you are fishing an action lake or a lake known for smaller average sized fish then spinning gear with smaller baits makes a lot more sense. If you are going to be fishing trophy waters and big waters then I would say that using spinning gear makes less sense. Spinning gear is surely going to be less durable, have less winching power, and be less versatile for the total spectrum of musky presentations. Some presentations might actually work best with spinning gear. What I found pretty quickly was that I really wanted to move on to baitcast gear.
Cast
Posted 10/1/2010 8:52 PM (#461703 - in reply to #461398)

Muddy,
This is the third time I've tried to post this in the last two days. I hope it finally works. In any event, like the last writer on this subject, I think the answer to whether a spinning rig can handle muskies is yes. Len Hartman of St. Lawrence River fame used spinning gear all the time. See "Before I Forget All That I Know..."
Before I converted to all-baitcasting, I put together an inexpensive spinning rig for muskies. In fact I had this set up off the rack the other night looking at it. It is a 7' Ugly Stik rod for lines 8-20 lbs. with a long handle. This rod is not stressed by most fish. Mounted thereon is an Okuma TI 40 reel loaded with 17 lb. extra tough mono. This rig will handle small to medium spinner baits and small to medium crank baits. I have trolled a 7" inch Believer with it; and casted a 7" Grandma. I'm not saying it's great. But it works. Probably the 6" and under cranks--like the above mentioned 5.5" Wiley, are the best option. If a lady doesn't want to learn baitcasting, what can you do? Best of luck.
eric001
Posted 10/1/2010 9:33 PM (#461713 - in reply to #461398)

if spinning gear works on cobia/sailfish/and snook then most def. it would work for ski's- 5000/6000 size probably would be best, mostly for the amt. of drag- put lots of backing on the reel and you wont have to put a whole spool of braid on- I gotta okuma v-60 on a 30-60 lb boat rod and it works wonders- 50lb tarpon so no doubt it would boat a ski- make sure the rod is heavy enought to throw big baits- the only problem is that you dont have as much control wtih the bait as you do with casting gear- good luck
Don Brumett,Jr.
Posted 10/4/2010 5:02 PM (#462094 - in reply to #461398)

I know a seasoned musky angler who uses spinning equipment exclusively. Shimano Stradic 4000 I believe. He does very well to say the least. Don
Muddy41
Posted 10/6/2010 6:55 PM (#462328 - in reply to #462094)

Hey thanks for all the ideas on how to deal with this issue. When we were up on Leech I did have her throwing a spinner and she used mistly some of my smaller bucktaisl as well as some of my 1 1/2-2 spinners.

She threw for alot on Saturday. As usual we did not catch anything but I know I had a blast. Not sure she did. I know she enjoyed herself to say she had a blast I am sure would be the wrong wordage.

Hoping to get her back out again this month with me. I will go pick up a bigger size reel and a better pole for her.

This is why this site is the best. ALot of great answers from alot of great people.

Thanks for all your help.

Mike
Buckeyemusky
Posted 10/6/2010 8:20 PM (#462340 - in reply to #461398)

I would look for a reel with the drag on the back, a front drag would be bad if you had to adjust it during a fight. Would suck to get a finger caught in braided line with a mad fish on the other end. Shimano makes one that I've been looking at that has a double handle like a baitcaster for around 60 to 70 bucks.
Muddy41
Posted 10/10/2010 8:23 PM (#462799 - in reply to #462340)

Buckeyemusky - 10/6/2010 8:20 PM

I would look for a reel with the drag on the back, a front drag would be bad if you had to adjust it during a fight. Would suck to get a finger caught in braided line with a mad fish on the other end. Shimano makes one that I've been looking at that has a double handle like a baitcaster for around 60 to 70 bucks.

Was trying to find it but could not see it. Could be that I am blind!!! Do you remember what model it was!!

Thanks
bowhunter29
Posted 10/11/2010 7:25 AM (#462841 - in reply to #462799)

Muddy41 - 10/10/2010 9:23 PM

Buckeyemusky - 10/6/2010 8:20 PM

Was trying to find it but could not see it. Could be that I am blind!!! Do you remember what model it was!!

Thanks

Is the Spirex what you're looking for? Double handle and rear drag.

jeremy
reelman
Posted 10/11/2010 9:00 AM (#462849 - in reply to #461398)

WIth a quality reel you should not have to adjust the reel while fighting the fish. For heavy fighting fish I would not go with a rear drag as they are not as smooth as a front drag model because the rear drag has much smaller drag washers because the drag has to fit inside the body of the reel.