loki nets
barbless-bob
Posted 9/29/2010 6:24 AM (#461326)
Subject: loki nets

any one use these?? are they good for the essox??

my old net Big Kahuna went for a last dip on it's own, owche
now i need a new net, man musky fishing is expensive.

bob
cjrich
Posted 9/29/2010 7:29 PM (#461461 - in reply to #461326)
Subject: Re: loki nets

I have used a LOKI net for three years running. I purchased the net based upon an article by Eric Jacobson. He claimed that the tight mesh on the net protected fins from getting split. At the time I had a Big Kahuna and found that when I was fishing alone and landing a fish on my own the Kahuna was like lifting dead weight. The Loki is lightweight, has a huge bag, and a handle that can be shifted into the bag by depressing a small pin.

An additional plus has been the fact that release tools will stay in the bag if they are dropped. The mesh is close enough that they will not fall through destined for the bottom of the lake.

I also found that baits would foul so bad in the Big Kahuna that I was spending too much time freeing the bait that was tangled in the net once the fish was released.

Loki is located in Knoxville. The owner of the company actually delivered the net to the boat ramp one day when I was launching. Now that's customer service!

The fish in the pic is 40". You can get a decent idea of the mesh and the size of the net itself. It can easily hold fish pushing 50+ inches.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(4-17-10.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 4-17-10.jpg (54KB - 440 downloads)
Muddy41
Posted 9/29/2010 7:53 PM (#461462 - in reply to #461461)

Been trying to figure out where you can buy The Brute musky net. But on the Loki website there is no pricing and trying to find another company that carries the Brute I cannot find one that has it available to see a price.

Curious as to what these cost.

Any idea??
cjrich
Posted 9/30/2010 6:06 AM (#461501 - in reply to #461326)

I believe it was $149.00
leech lake strain
Posted 10/2/2010 9:33 AM (#461745 - in reply to #461326)

that looks like a nice bag!
SWIm
Posted 10/2/2010 5:28 PM (#461801 - in reply to #461326)
Subject: RE: loki nets

I've never heard of these nets before. They look great. The tight mesh and what looks to be thick coating should be WAY better on fins then the Big Kahuna, and, since the coating seems thicker, I would hope that the netting won't allow the fish to tangle/roll up so easily like in a Beckman. Granted the netting looks heavy, and with the small holes will have more drag in the water but who cares. Improvements like this in our release tools can only help the future of the sport and make the catch and release process even more fool-proof.

P.S. If it's big enough for Erik Jacobsen it's plenty big for me.