Lowrance HDS-5 Insight Help
MuskyManiac09
Posted 9/27/2010 5:05 PM (#461023)
Subject: Lowrance HDS-5 Insight Help

My buddy has the HDS-5 with Insight as well as a Lakemaster Insight chip for Minnesota. What we most noticed between the old Lakemaster chip and the new Insight chip was what they call "shadded relief"...looks pretty cool.

Well, the other day I borrowed his chip and put it in my HDS-5 that DOES NOT have insight, and I was still able to see this "shadded relief". So my question is what exactly is the difference between Insight and non-Insight. Are we missing something on his Insight model that can show us something even better?

Thanks for the help,
Brian Jongeward
MuskyManiac09
Posted 10/7/2010 5:09 PM (#462436 - in reply to #461023)
Subject: Re: Lowrance HDS-5 Insight Help

Well just in case anyone is wondering....units with "Insight" printed on them means that the unit comes with built-in 3-D maps (shadded relief).

You can buy an Insight chip for any HDS unit, however, and the chip will work showing this "shadded relief", even if the unit is not an "Insight" unit. For those who haven't seen the shadded relief view, it is quite cool and helpful for those who have difficulty looking at a 2-D image and imagining it in 3-D. The only problem is that the Insight chips are $199 compared to the regular Lakemasters which are $99.