Labor day Fun!
Cowboyhannah
Posted 9/6/2010 9:42 PM (#458353)
Subject: Labor day Fun!

Okay, so alarm goes off at 5:15am, brew the joe, load the thermos, head to landing. Get to landing, Line up rig, unstrap front, both rear tie downs, attach line to bow clip, get into truck while holding rope in lap, door cracked open...all set....feelin' good. Commence slowly backing in...back, back, rear of boat floats, front still on front of bunks...back a bit more, slowly, slowly...holding rope with one hand...back, back...whoops!!! Boat taking off FAST!!! rope uncoiling fast, too fast...grabbing rope in lap...nylon burning hand, end of rope coming, coming, drops into water!...Quick! put truck in Park and jump out, grab rope and hang on! Okay, got the boat stopped! Uh-oh!!!!! Truck still in reverse!! HOLY &*#@~!!! Quick jump in truck hear a loud noise...what was THAT? Slam on breaks!! Evaluate. Rear tires deep into lake looking out open door at water...open door...open door....REALLY open door...the bottom of the door is caught on the top edge of the dock and is really, really open. Not good. Pulling forward slowly. Repeat loud noise. Door is shot, will not close, not even close...front qtr panel not so happy either. Happy Labor Day! I hate insurance claims. Thought I'd share so you might feel better about whatever problems you may have had over the weekend.
Rainman JD
Posted 9/6/2010 9:50 PM (#458354 - in reply to #458353)
Subject: Re: Labor day Fun!

Holy smokes. Luckily it wasn't worse. I got a good laugh out of it knowing nobody was injured. That stinks to have to deal with insurance and all.

Edited by Rainman JD 9/6/2010 9:52 PM
Top H2O
Posted 9/6/2010 10:09 PM (#458359 - in reply to #458354)

Surly someone got that on video..... Sorry, but that was really funny.

Jerome
Muddy41
Posted 9/6/2010 10:26 PM (#458366 - in reply to #458359)

Sounds like the Griswold family vacation!!!

Sorry to here about the bad beginning of what should have been a great day on the lake. Did you just say screw it all and just hop in the boat and go fishing and deal with the damage later!!!

mc
Posted 9/6/2010 11:37 PM (#458379 - in reply to #458353)
Subject: RE: Labor day Fun!

Don't feel bad. I had this happen to me earlier this year. I backed the trailer into the water, put the E-brake on and threw her into park. Got out and started cranking the boat up and bam! the reverse lights came on and the truck started heading for the water. Fortunately the door was unlocked and I hoped in and jacked the brakes. I threw it in drive and nothing, a launch had just came in and there was a lot of confusion with one guy saying "whats this yr first time taking out a boat!" Oh we had some comments for him. The trailer went down far and got caught on the cement. Me being a mechanic I thought the transmission was shot because I was all shaken up. Found a nice long log, stripped down to my boxers and wallah! she was free. Never will forget that. Sorry about the damages that sucks.
BenMuskyHunter247
Posted 9/7/2010 12:06 AM (#458381 - in reply to #458353)

that sucks, i just got hailed on today out on the lake
rich
Posted 9/7/2010 7:28 PM (#458515 - in reply to #458353)

Greatly written story, I had to laugh! Sorry about the damage, glad nobody is hurt and the truck is not a complete loss. Thanks for the cheer. Better luck next time.
missourimuskyhunter
Posted 9/7/2010 7:50 PM (#458518 - in reply to #458353)

Throw almost new Magdawg,backlash mid-air and Dawg snaps off.Tie on new Dawg sitting in the boat while depressed about first dawg and toss over the side to pick up rod and start fishing....no Dawg on rod.Tied new Dawg to line laying in bottom of boat thinking it was line on reel.Two new Dawgs and Stealth leaders at bottom of lake in less than five....
momuskies
Posted 9/7/2010 7:58 PM (#458519 - in reply to #458518)

Hahahahahaha that was fing hilarious. Fred is sitting down working on tying on a bait for a long time, and I kind of look back at him wondering what was taking so long. He says, "I wasn't going to say anything, but...". 2 bulldawgs over the side and my dad and I were busting a gut. The entry in my notes says Fred made a couple of donations to the fish gods.
BenR
Posted 9/7/2010 8:05 PM (#458520 - in reply to #458353)

Your lucky this only hurt your truck, boat, ego...you have a slip up like this with a muskie.....I don't eve want to think about the ramifications......BR
Lone Stone
Posted 9/7/2010 8:07 PM (#458521 - in reply to #458353)

I just went bass fishing Friday in the gale force winds. Went into a cut I've been through dozens of times. Going slow luckily, feel the boat raise?? Tree stump, power on through it because it on the side and it's already too late to back off, and center it right on top of another. I've never hit anything here, lucky till now I guess. Put motor in reverse, hammer on it, fill boat with water, turn on bilge, it works!! Still stuck, strip down, jump in, pull back of boat to side the slightest little bit and off she comes. If nothing else, my Dad had a good laugh. All I could think was my old aluminum boat would have came right off!! It is good to know we all have problems once in a while!
BruceKY
Posted 9/7/2010 8:25 PM (#458523 - in reply to #458353)

Sorry about your truck.

I did something similar to my old Jeep Cherokee sport many years ago.

I pulled into my garage after a long night out and left the lights on. The next morning I discovered the battery dead. At the time I lived alone. My place was at the top of a hill so having a stick shift I figured I could roll it out of the garage, down the driveway, then down the hill. I would jump start it while rolling. I got in the drivers seat with one foot out the door and started to push backwards. The instant the rear tires dropped off the concrete garage floor and onto the sloping driveway the vehicle took off! I had no time before the door was jammed into the wall of the house. My judgment and reflexes were a little slow that morning. It put a nice hole in the drywall and opened the door far enough to fold the sheet metal on the door and the corner panel. It’s funny now looking back.
Johnnie
Posted 9/7/2010 8:28 PM (#458524 - in reply to #458521)

Had a laughing customer this weekend tell how he was using a brand new spinner bait with 2 single hooks. He had a solid hit but no hookup. When the bait came in, he inspected it and found he hadn't taken the tubing off the two hook points!!!!!
Cowboyhannah
Posted 9/7/2010 8:41 PM (#458526 - in reply to #458353)

Naw didn't fish...if I could've gotten that door shut I woulda'. Nope, headed back to the cabin...arrived there disgusted with myself...family still inside asleep so I punished myself by cleaning the garage for two hours.
Captain
Posted 9/7/2010 8:41 PM (#458527 - in reply to #458353)

Gotta love launching a boat alone! I have been there bud!
I made the mistake of unhooking my strap and the safety chain from my boat and proceeded to back down the ramp. I had done this a thousand times and NEVER had an issue, yet, this once the trailer decides to bounce a little bit and the boat starts rolling. BAD! So I sped up in reverse so the boat wouldnt drop on landing. Got it in the water and slammed into park and almost got knocked down by the door as the truck kept rolling back. Put it in park again! Truck stopped. I get out, boat floating away. I looked helplessly, but there was another boat there who helped.
Looking like a complete idiot, I get back in the truck to drive out. I put in drive and no go, tires spinning. WTF I thought. I put in 4x4 and drive out. I open the back set of doors on the suburban and the water started pouring out!
I then see the back window is cracked and a huge dent above it. I had thought my truck stopped because I FINALLY got it in park. NOPE. It stopped when the back door hung up on the dock post!
I couldnt drive out in 2wd because the back tires were not even on the ground! LOL
I think we have all been there. FUnny to look back on, but what an embarrasing moment.
Emptynet
Posted 9/7/2010 8:48 PM (#458529 - in reply to #458353)

And I thought having to work really sucked. Good luck w/ the insurance company.
Hodag Hunter
Posted 9/8/2010 9:31 AM (#458583 - in reply to #458529)

I hear you on launching a boat by yourself. All things considered glad everything is "allright"

Little trick I do with a bunk trailer is un hook everything and hook a tag line longer than the trailer and keep coiled in bow of boat (I like about 15-20 extra feet) to the boat bow eye and near the winch. Back trailor in until it floats off and slowly drive trailor ahead with the coiled rope extending/becoming taunt all the way....boat should track right behind trailor. The trick is not to drive ahead too fast as the boat may jackknife if given to hard of a jerk. Using your truck mirrors works fine for me.

Depending on wind/rope length exist the truck, unhook the tag line at the winch and beach the boat or tie to dock if available.

Should never have to exist your truck until the boat is safetly off the trailor. This trick is not recomended for roller trailers as the boat may come off premature before fully in the water during the "backing-in step".

Good luck.

Edited by Hodag Hunter 9/8/2010 9:37 AM
archerynut36
Posted 9/8/2010 6:38 PM (#458675 - in reply to #458353)

this is one reason that i just tie the rope to the nose of the tlr when im launching alone. i have almost hade this same situation happen to me along time ago and i wont have the rope in the towing vehicle again...bill
Slow Rollin
Posted 9/8/2010 6:50 PM (#458678 - in reply to #458353)

threw off a brand new pounder the other day, had a nick in one of my eye loops, cut a lure off every time i made cast, couldnt go down and get it either. gone...if you took a camera to lake minnetonka landing you could easily win the funniest home videos show.