Spinner baits.......... What are you using !!!!!!
Muddy41
Posted 8/23/2010 12:58 PM (#456368)
Subject: Spinner baits.......... What are you using !!!!!!

I am looking for some spinner baits and have searched and have founds tons of them.

But I am vey interested in what you all you musky boys and girls like the best. I know eveyone has there preferance and I am curious as to what everyone is using and what makes there preferred spinner bait the go to bait.

Also what do you prefer single blade or double blades on your spinners..

Thanks you in advance for any insight to some of the better made spinners you have used.

I know in the past being a bass fisherman you can buy some that are cheaply made but do not hold up at all.

THanks
Mike
Posted 8/23/2010 1:45 PM (#456374 - in reply to #456368)
Subject: RE: Spinner baits.......... What are you using !!!!!!

Pearson's Grinder
momuskies
Posted 8/23/2010 2:05 PM (#456378 - in reply to #456368)
Subject: Re: Spinner baits.......... What are you using !!!!!!

There used to be a time when I threw nothing but spinnerbaits and bucktails. I didn't even own but a couply of hardbaits for years. Right now I like the Llungen mag nutbusters. In a smaller spinnerbait, I really like the terminator toothy critters, but good luck finding any. The mag nutbuster really thumps. On my mag nutbusters I have noticed that the one I really like has a smaller head than the other ones. Not sure why, but I need to ask Chad about it and get some more like it. One tip, make sure you put a trailer hook on the back no matter what.
pepsiboy
Posted 8/23/2010 2:07 PM (#456379 - in reply to #456368)

for me spinnerbaits are strictly a trolling tool.
if you can get some river rat is by far the better.marv's will also do the job but sometimes all the bucktail came off after just one fish,but the price is very low compared to the rats
Tackle Industries
Posted 8/23/2010 2:39 PM (#456381 - in reply to #456368)

Not out yet but give me anotehr few months. I will have one spinnerbait that you can change out to about 500 color combinations in about 20 seconds. The per-tied skirt packs alone in this would cost you over $18 at a musky shop to buy. My price will be under $20. Big #10 Colorado blade spinnerbait with two single trailer hooks on it and holographic eyes. Sorry its not going to help you right now. I like CJ spinnerbaits myself. Lots to choose from...
James
pepsiboy
Posted 8/23/2010 2:52 PM (#456385 - in reply to #456368)

james where can i get those cjs?
they look nice but i have never have the chance to try one
Roughneck1860
Posted 8/23/2010 3:06 PM (#456387 - in reply to #456368)

I've been a ahrd core spinner bait fisherman for years. Most of the spinner I come across have to thin a wire for my liking and dont hold up well in the net or in the mnouth of a large fish. The best I've come across for far for my liking anyway are the RiverRats made by Chris Purdy up in Ottawa Ontario. Heavy duty wire and hooks and all are hand tied with real bucktail hair. His baits are made to handle the big fish that come off "The Big O". They come with mag willow blades but I do at times swap the blades out out to large standard willows if I want a deeper running bait or to a large colorado is I want more thump. Deffinantly worth checking out.

Good Fishin'
Tim
Muddy41
Posted 8/23/2010 3:11 PM (#456389 - in reply to #456381)

Tackle Industries - 8/23/2010 2:39 PM

Not out yet but give me anotehr few months. I will have one spinnerbait that you can change out to about 500 color combinations in about 20 seconds. The per-tied skirt packs alone in this would cost you over $18 at a musky shop to buy. My price will be under $20. Big #10 Colorado blade spinnerbait with two single trailer hooks on it and holographic eyes. Sorry its not going to help you right now. I like CJ spinnerbaits myself. Lots to choose from...
James

James this should be awesome to see. I love spinner baits for my bass so I am assuming the same for muskies. As of right now I have none and need a couple for the first trip out to try and put one in the boat!!!!

Looking forward to seeing them James. Keep us posted!!!

THanks
Pikiespawn
Posted 8/23/2010 5:09 PM (#456412 - in reply to #456368)

MM's or Jimmie Wilisons......are the best
Apex
Posted 8/23/2010 10:10 PM (#456462 - in reply to #456368)

I love and swear by spinner baits, most musky anglers now only throw those cowgirl thingies. My 3 favorites are the Pearson grinder (for weeds, single blade) Northland original spinner bait (for all uses, double blade) and the Lungen Nutbuster w/ #10 blades (for night fishing, single blade) it will rattle your arm off with the vibration it gives off. Just got a Shumway Giant Spinner Bait that will kill em this fall, it is huge, modified it to a double blade.
Dewey00
Posted 8/24/2010 5:01 PM (#456561 - in reply to #456368)

I love the Hatchet Shad series made by Colby Simms. The hatchet blades put out a nice thump that is different from all the other spinnerbaits being thrown. Check them out!! Link is http://simmsoutdoors.com/newest/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&pag...

Duane
www.illinoismuskies.com
MuskieMike
Posted 8/24/2010 5:17 PM (#456563 - in reply to #456368)

Kevin Cochran's Bou Blings ............
archerynut36
Posted 8/24/2010 6:43 PM (#456568 - in reply to #456368)

james is gonna wow you with this new baby of his
fishcrazed
Posted 8/24/2010 6:43 PM (#456569 - in reply to #456368)

rad dogs for me. super durable. double blades.
Tackle Industries
Posted 8/24/2010 7:53 PM (#456575 - in reply to #456385)

pepsiboy,

you can get the CJ spinnerbaits at Throne Bros. Not sure if Musky Tackle Online has them or not??

I also have a few Cochran Bling Spinnerbaits and those are cool with the double #10. Musky Tackle Online has those for a good price on their spinnerbait page: http://www.muskytackleonline.com/acatalog/Spinnerbaits_-_Bucher_to_...

James
little one
Posted 8/24/2010 7:56 PM (#456577 - in reply to #456368)

Tanner Wildes rabid squirrel spinner bait has been good for me and friends. Tanner is a good guy and they are made here in muskie country too boot.
Hirsh makes the ghost tail spinner bait that is great as well
MyliesPlace(Justin)
Posted 8/24/2010 8:20 PM (#456578 - in reply to #456577)

Northland Booty Calls have greatly impressed me this season. Well made, tandem, good hook keeper for trailer.

I add a grub tail for a little extra wiggle in front of the fish.
MNSteveH
Posted 8/25/2010 12:15 AM (#456618 - in reply to #456368)

Why doesn't someone make a musky spinner with a titanium arm? Terminators work so much better than others for bass
KevinG
Posted 8/25/2010 12:54 AM (#456620 - in reply to #456368)

If anyone ever has to deal with reeds...like as if they are your only "green" option such in my case, you gotta try some of Jack Shriver's Spinnerbaits, they incorporate an extra long arm that allows them to slide between the reeds amazingly.
pepsiboy
Posted 8/25/2010 3:29 AM (#456622 - in reply to #456618)

MNSteveH - 8/25/2010 1:15 AM

Why doesn't someone make a musky spinner with a titanium arm? Terminators work so much better than others for bass

old bagley big game brute were made out of titanium and they were total junk
titanium cannot deal with big blades,its too soft
from what i see they are now build with ss wire
Tackle Industries
Posted 8/25/2010 6:39 AM (#456629 - in reply to #456368)

062 wire on spinnerbaits is almost a must if it has any kind of large blade on it.
JMO
James
Chasin50
Posted 8/25/2010 9:36 AM (#456652 - in reply to #456387)

Roughneck1860 - 8/23/2010 4:06 PM

I've been a ahrd core spinner bait fisherman for years. Most of the spinner I come across have to thin a wire for my liking and dont hold up well in the net or in the mnouth of a large fish. The best I've come across for far for my liking anyway are the RiverRats made by Chris Purdy up in Ottawa Ontario. Heavy duty wire and hooks and all are hand tied with real bucktail hair. His baits are made to handle the big fish that come off "The Big O". They come with mag willow blades but I do at times swap the blades out out to large standard willows if I want a deeper running bait or to a large colorado is I want more thump. Deffinantly worth checking out.

Good Fishin'
Tim

I don't use spinnerbaits much, but have a collection of Rad dogs, Grinders, Northland Bionic, Mayhem, and Cocharan's. I took Tim's recommendation on the River Rats and have to agree they are heavy duty... Lots of bucktail hair & heavy wire. I also highly recommend.
esox50
Posted 8/25/2010 10:31 AM (#456663 - in reply to #456368)

River Rats (http://www.riverratlures.com). Bulky material, super high quality wraps, heavy wire, great colors (can order customs if you want). They're a fantastic spinnerbait made in an area where spinnerbait casting and trolling is as much a staple as tossing Cowgirls on Vermilion's east end reefs. LOL
psv
Posted 8/25/2010 8:14 PM (#456738 - in reply to #456368)

Depends on situation, I fish with Grinder, Lungen Mag Nutbuster, Cyco and many of my own Classy Babies:

Muddy41
Posted 8/26/2010 1:09 PM (#456825 - in reply to #456738)

psv - 8/25/2010 8:14 PM

Depends on situation, I fish with Grinder, Lungen Mag Nutbuster, Cyco and many of my own Classy Babies:

PSV That is a sweet looking spinner. Is that one you made. If so and you need someone to try a couple out for you and give there opinon on it I sure could use a couple.

I do like the color combo you have set up on it as well. If you have a extra one you want to get rid of I am just the man to give it too!!!!!!

Thanks for everyones input. With so many companies making lures these days it is hard for someone new just coming in to figur out where to start

That is why I live on this site. I have gained so much knowledge from this site it is unbelieveable. Alot of local people have been a great help in getting me started. Especially MissouriMuskyHunter!!!!! He sold me some awesome lures at a sweet price to help me het things rolling.

Thanks and keep them coming

PSV I could use a couple of yours if the pic is of one you made. Honestly that looks awesome!!!
brewcrew
Posted 8/26/2010 2:11 PM (#456842 - in reply to #456368)

Rad dogs, grinders, and also starting to like cj's
kyle@bigwoodmuskylur
Posted 8/26/2010 2:37 PM (#456850 - in reply to #456387)

Roughneck1860 - 8/23/2010 3:06 PM

Good Fishin'
Tim

Another quality Spinnerbait maker if your concerned with durability is MM Baits. The super heavy duty alloy wire is IMO the strongest on the market. The Super Speed Troller (SST) for example was made to be trolled at 7 plus MPH without collapsing or going into a tail spin and it has double #10 Colorado's on it, so the resistance is enormous at those speeds! The same quality wire and components go into all of MM baits Spinnerbaits and each bait is designed for a specific application.

http://bigwoodmuskylures.com/lures.php?cat=spinnerbaits&make=MM%20B...

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(mmbsstbigwood1.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments mmbsstbigwood1.jpg (115KB - 443 downloads)
Killerbug
Posted 8/27/2010 3:28 AM (#456924 - in reply to #456368)

I am mostly using one called Bloody Bumblebee, custom made by PSV ;), an awesome fishing tool.

It also casts very well, and the blades starts turning by first water contact. My biggest catch so far with, was a 20 pound +- pike, that I fu... up at landing
fish4musky1
Posted 8/28/2010 9:37 PM (#457176 - in reply to #456368)

hows everyones hooking percentages on spinnerbaits with single hooks. I had three hits on spinnerbaits the past trip, no hooks ended up in the ski's mouth, not even a chance to set the hook.
pepsiboy
Posted 8/28/2010 11:01 PM (#457187 - in reply to #456368)

near 100%
if the blade are 2 close the the trailer hook u better change the wire angle.i only use 7/0
sworrall
Posted 8/28/2010 11:30 PM (#457192 - in reply to #456368)

Same here, excellent hooking percentage.
Killerbug
Posted 8/29/2010 5:14 AM (#457197 - in reply to #456368)

I have had some problems, but we have attached an ekstra treble to enhance hooksets.
chico
Posted 8/29/2010 6:01 AM (#457198 - in reply to #456368)

MM's, everything is there for a reason and top quality.
pepsiboy
Posted 8/29/2010 7:14 AM (#457201 - in reply to #457197)

Killerbug - 8/29/2010 6:14 AM

I have had some problems, but we have attached an ekstra treble to enhance hooksets.

yeah good to enhance weeds hookset
Herb_b
Posted 8/30/2010 1:14 PM (#457371 - in reply to #456368)

I use spinner baits about 90% of the time. They are the most versatile lure made and one can really get into the cover after the big fish with them.

I use CJs, Rad Dogs, Grinders and Candy Spins in that order. CJs are usually my first choice and have put a lot of nice Muskies in my boat over the years. I often go to the big Rad Dogs and Grinders when I want to go down deep or try something different. Small CJs and Candy Spins are great for the times when the fish want something downsized. They are also great multi-species lures for those times when even a large Bass or large Pike could make a fishing partners day.

As far as setting the hook goes, one needs to wait a second or two before setting the hook in order to let the fish close their mouth and turn their head. Set the hook too soon and one rarely gets the hook set. Also, one should set the hook more upwards and not so much sideways to drive the hooks up into the fishes mouth. A pure sideways hook set will often just pull single type hook spinner baits right out of the fishes mouth.

One other thing about spinner baits: Changing the blades can have a huge difference. While it may not seem obvious to us, diferent blade styles such as Colorado, French, and Fluted as well as different blade size can give off very different types of vibration and do appear different to the fish. I have had great luck swapping out blades the past few years.
jakejusa
Posted 8/31/2010 12:35 PM (#457531 - in reply to #456368)

I'll jump in for Muskie Machinery, they are the toughest SB's out there. At the end of the season I have a box of repair baits...never get any MM's in for a fix, they just keep on going.
Dre322
Posted 11/6/2010 12:34 PM (#465781 - in reply to #456368)

Hey Apex... you got a picture of that giant spinnerbait from shumway?
pepsiboy
Posted 11/6/2010 1:13 PM (#465783 - in reply to #456368)

near 100% no kiding
uptown
Posted 11/6/2010 5:24 PM (#465802 - in reply to #456368)

Trueglide "Alias".

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(alias.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments alias.JPG (43KB - 185 downloads)
cochran
Posted 11/6/2010 6:05 PM (#465804 - in reply to #456368)

Got a problem with those True Glide spinnerbaits....
Everytime I try to buy one at the shows they are all sold!!!! LOL
Save me a few next time.
uptown
Posted 11/6/2010 9:30 PM (#465832 - in reply to #465804)

kevin,
I am pretty sure I will be up in your neck of the woods the weekend of the 20th. If I do come up,I'll bring a couple of spinnerbaits and I'll give you a shout.

Joe
cochran
Posted 11/6/2010 9:46 PM (#465833 - in reply to #456368)

Sounds good. I saw Chris at BSU today and he told me you guys might be coming up. Give me a call then.