Question from a new guy
MuskyFart
Posted 8/11/2010 1:18 PM (#454556)
Subject: Question from a new guy

First I have to say I love the work that everyone does on here. You all are very talented and have inspired me to try making some of my own lures.

For my questions on getting started....... After the band saw for getting the ruff mold do most hand sand the wood into the smooth shape or use a belt sander or a type of dremmal tool?

Also I have seen many different sites and types of paints people use, but if someone did not mind could you give me the site or sites again to get all my painting supplies; epoxy too.

Thanks guys and keep the pictures comming they just get me more and more motavited
wolftackle84
Posted 8/11/2010 1:34 PM (#454561 - in reply to #454556)
Subject: Re: Question from a new guy

....after the band saw i whould use a router to smooth over the corners..then hand sand them...createx paint is the paint i use...but you can also use craft paint...you just have to water it down just a but to get it to work in a airbrush...if you have any more questions email me..or pm

tight lines

[email protected]
gus_webb
Posted 8/12/2010 10:22 AM (#454779 - in reply to #454556)

I started out using a dremel and hand sanding, since I had a dremel already. Then I got a belt sander, and quickly realized how tedious the dremel had been! I'm sure a router would be great... especially for simply rounding corners on a profile. Personally, though, I really like how much control the belt sander gives me to sculpt the lure after I've cut out the rough shape. I still do a lot of clean-up sanding by hand after I've done what I want to with the belt sander, but it's a lot less than I was doing before.
Harbor Freight is a great starting point for tools, too, including an airbrush. www.harborfreight.com.

Good luck, have fun, and get ready for a whole new level of obsession!!
bowhunter29
Posted 8/12/2010 1:57 PM (#454836 - in reply to #454556)

Don't forget to cut your lip slot and drill holes for hardware before shaping the bait!

jeremy
RiverMan
Posted 8/12/2010 2:10 PM (#454837 - in reply to #454556)

If you don't have a router get yourself an inexpensive flat wood file to round the corners. I still use a wood file all the time, it's a wonderful tool and you may find you enjoy shaping things with it as I do. After you round the corners then go to the sand paper and get it smooth....it all goes rather quickly once you get good at it. Just take your time and enjoy the process.

Jed
MuskyFart
Posted 8/12/2010 4:14 PM (#454855 - in reply to #454556)
Subject: RE: Question from a new guy

Thanks all for the pointers guys, really appreciate it a lot.........I think I like the router idea the best, but it will be some time before I get it hooked up to a bench...Have the router just need to mount it....till then my first few will have to be with a wood file

Jeremy.....not sure I understand the mounting of the lip before hand. Would you not want to get the wood almost shapped and then mount it, than do your final sanding? Just wondering and if you can help clear that up for me would appreciate it.
bowhunter29
Posted 8/12/2010 8:22 PM (#454897 - in reply to #454556)

I didn't say to mount the lip, I said to cut the slot for it after you cut your lure out, but before you router/shape it. Getting the lip slot square is much easier to do while the lure is still flat- before it is shaped. (ask me how I know!)

I don't usually mount my diving lips until after the lures are painted and have one or two coats of clear. Sorry for being confusing.

jeremy
MuskyFart
Posted 8/15/2010 11:39 AM (#455260 - in reply to #454556)
Subject: RE: Question from a new guy

Once I get out of work today I will be going home to start the cutting on my first lure......supper excited and wish 5 o'clock was here already. Figgured I would start out with a jake type lure. Thanks all for the help as I am sure many more questions will be comming with time. Will post some pic when I get a chance.

As for my next question.....What do you guys use to mount a plastic lip? Glue....screws..etc and is there any special way I should be doing it.?