decisions vs confusions...and freedom of choice
firstsixfeet
Posted 7/14/2010 9:44 AM (#449836)
Subject: decisions vs confusions...and freedom of choice

OK, situation is-thinking about and preparing for the trip north, always fun, always interesting, and always the reason for an addition or two to my musky overstock.com junk collection.

Last time I did any polling was on the tail bait/surface bait group and got various endorsements of a few baits including the Lee Lure "Water Chopper", and the Ducktail "Sputter Duck", both of which I bought and tried, and the the short version is that the Chopper has been a good addition, accounting for 3 fish in the 40" range and some smaller ones, and I find it tends to run well in a little rougher water. Great. I now have a back up Chopper too, and find I like the sound of it even better, with a surprisingingly deeper sound, which I cannot get with the first one. Last season added a Lelure "Back Thumper" and like that too, good sound and CHEAP, not proven yet, though. Previously bought a "Rumbler" from the advice on this board. Caught fish on that also, but I find that basically the Gutsch Tallywhacker, and Water Chopper generally seem to perform best and get reactions and strikes. I also love to use a friends older model Top Raider, but have to point out that while I nailed 6-7 fish on this bait(including a nice one fishing Sworrall waters), every other Top Raider I have used has been non productive(and I have bought and discarded 3 already). There is one other tail spinner bait that has had an amazingly productive run that I use, but will not name. So, basically 3 tail spinners work well for me, and a 4th if I can beg or borrow it. And as far as I can see, I will not be adding any more tail baits. And yes, I know somebody is going to come up with those other gimmick tail spinners, but yes, already tried and rejected them for various problems. Don't need any problems, need baits that go out and come back good.

This is a great country to have so many selections, and I am sure I could catch fish on all of them, but at the current time I am confident the group I have represents, if not the best, at least the very good portion of the field.

So, went to the candy store catalog, Rollie and Helens 2010, and note that there are 24 separate models of tail whackers, starting from the Roberts Mudpuppy, through the Gutsch Tallywhacker improvement, through the Top Raider, right on up to the current group available. They come and go, and note one of the "next great things" already looks to be out of production after 3-4 year run. Gotta be tough for a newbie to choose, and then if they pick a bad model, and some are not good, it really slows the learning curve. All work, but some work better.

Went to creepers, just out of curiosity, 14 different models available, and lots more have come and gone, and more are made on a more custom scale. Once again, some better than others. Easy to trace through the Donally, then Heddon Crazy Crawler, the Le Beouf Creeper improvements, and right on to today's assortment. But once again, which are the best? I am happy with mine. I am not sure I have the very best models, but I know mine catch fish, and elicit strikes on a regular basis, when I get to use them.

So now, I am looking for a new reel to wreck, hopefully one that will actually make it a couple of seasons and be able to pull double 10's, though double 10's are still not high on my list of preferred bucktails. And I'm going to get a rod, probably under $125 and long, used or new. I like my current rods, all 7 foot to 7 1/2 feet, but I am looking to try something else. I have to face the facts, my current tackle selection is probably as good as any baits I might buy and try this year, and my rods have had a new guide here and there, and occasionally some cork, and my most favored ABU 5600's of various ilks have and will continue to perform well enough until they crack up under usage, and are suited to be replaced by another 5600, so I really don't NEED anything, other than maybe one new reel, so it's just "wanting" at this point, and curiousity goading me to buy much.

So what's the good choice in rods? I am leaning toward something Okuma, but need to talk to DougJ to see how his are holding up, and how are yours holding up(?), and on reels, I just don't know, maybe a Revo? So???? Tell me what you think about it all....
BNelson
Posted 7/14/2010 10:08 AM (#449846 - in reply to #449836)
Subject: Re: decisions vs confusions...and freedom of choice

you want a reel to make it thru 2 full seasons with lots of hours of use? good luck.. I don't think any guide or guys who fish A LOT have found one!! ; ) I have 975s, TE's, Revos, etc etc and they just are not going to last a full season of hard use...oddly enough my old 6600 Morrums have held up better than any of the new reels out today... I do have 2 Revo's that have held up well over the last 2 seasons but I was told by a friend who bought some recently that his didn't hold up...and he took a 1st yr Revo apart and compared the insides to the newer ones that didn't hold up and they were different inside....??!!!!
The best thing I can say about reels is have a few backups of whatever you buy!

Edited by BNelson 7/14/2010 10:11 AM
firstsixfeet
Posted 7/14/2010 11:02 AM (#449861 - in reply to #449846)

BNelson,
You aint handin out hope here.
BNelson
Posted 7/14/2010 11:17 AM (#449865 - in reply to #449836)

Heres a tip...when you have an old abu 5600 etc break, send it to Abu in Spirit lake w/ a note saying if it's over $30 to fix (it always is) you want a discount on a new revo....they give you 50% off ...it's reel for a reel tho..you can't send in one reel and get 3 Revo's for the discount....you can thank me later! ; )

Edited by BNelson 7/14/2010 11:18 AM
Doug_Kloet
Posted 7/14/2010 11:35 AM (#449868 - in reply to #449861)

Hey fsf,

I will try to give you a little insight on what I like to use.

As for reels for using double tens I like the Abu Garcia 7000 reels there are a few different models to choose from depending on how much you want to spend. I use these reels for pretty much everything now except gliders still like a smaller reel for that.

For a alternative to the double tens check out Dream Catcher bucktails with a single #8 Indiana blade. The reverse hair really flares nice in the water.

Next for topwaters I would have to agree that it is tough to beat Lee Lures Chopper. The black and green has been the best color for me but also the one that I use the most.

For rods you need to check out the new Tooth Tamer rods in med/hvy action in either 8' or 8'6”. I have been using these rods all season now and love them. You will also like the synthetic cork handles way nicer than regular cork.

Captain Doug Kloet
http://www.dougkloet.com
raftman
Posted 7/14/2010 11:40 AM (#449870 - in reply to #449836)

Keep warranty in mind when shopping. 12 different people will say 12 different brands are the best but the reality is, sometimes crap happens and I'd prefer having to fork out as little as possible when it does.
dougj
Posted 7/14/2010 5:00 PM (#449951 - in reply to #449836)
Subject: RE: decisions vs confusions...and freedom of choice

FSF:

The Okuma rods are doing well. I suspect that you'd like the 8"-6" telescoping heavy action. This is a little more suited to the lure types you sem to like, and is a great rod for surface lures. The XH does a good job with DCG's and the like, but it would probably be a little stiff to throw your trusty Burt. Also have lifetime warrentee, great rod for the $. You should get both!

The Okuma reels are fine. I'm trying out a new model called the "Iris" which seems very nice, but  probably not the reel for DCG's. Been useing it for suicks, cranks, spinnerbaits, and topwater and it works great. Not sure when they will have it on the market, but I'll bet they have it at the ICAST show. For DCG's I use 975 Penns or 7000 ABUs, both wotk, but as folks have stated everything fails if you use it enough.

There's a topwater I like called the Headbanger, made by a guy who's on this site some as JDsplasher. Look him up and get one, they seem to work well, and the fish like them. It's a head spinner rather than a tail spinner, and the fish seem to like to grab it up front which helps hook ups.

Good luck in Wisconsin, the LOTWs muskies are starting to bite.

Doug Johnson

Propster
Posted 7/14/2010 10:06 PM (#450014 - in reply to #449836)

FSF, I'll tell you the perfect rod to buy if you tell me the name of the secret tailbait...
firstsixfeet
Posted 7/14/2010 10:24 PM (#450017 - in reply to #450014)

Propster - 7/14/2010 10:06 PM

FSF, I'll tell you the perfect rod to buy if you tell me the name of the secret tailbait...