Entry in Canada Questions...
SVT
Posted 7/13/2010 12:39 PM (#449699)
Subject: Entry in Canada Questions...

What exactly are the regulations on going to into canada on behalf of your criminal record? I dont have any DUI's or OUI's. But do have a pretty lengthy record for little things here and there. Nothing major. Does anyone know what they look for and or check at the boarder??? Thanks!!!!

------RYAN!
Musky Brian
Posted 7/13/2010 2:19 PM (#449718 - in reply to #449699)
Subject: RE: Entry in Canada Questions...

it's very inconsistent Ryan....contrary to what you might be told there is no set way of how they do things..You might cross one time and they will barely check an id and you will be on your way in 2 minutes. You might cross another time and they ask you to come inside and run a history of any criminal activities. Unfortunately, you will not know which is going to happen until you get there.

I can tell you that if you travel with younger people you will be more likely to get stopped for lengthier checks, I'm still in my 20's and whenever I cross with either my dad or myself things seem to run quicker as compared to crossing with some of my college aged friends...Try to find a phone number for the Ft Frances border crossing station in Canada and see if you can ask them specific questions to better gauge your chances of getting through
CASTING55
Posted 7/13/2010 2:34 PM (#449719 - in reply to #449718)

I've seen some people over the years put up links to border crossing services,maybe do a google search.
Muskie Bob
Posted 7/13/2010 3:06 PM (#449721 - in reply to #449699)
Subject: Re: Entry in Canada Questions...

I just saw this on another site.....

they use "some very sensitive microphones and they can hear inside the vehicle from way back in line. "

If that is true, it would be best not to talk about your records while in line. Just a thought. I have no idea if it is true. I merely read it on another site.

SVT
Posted 7/13/2010 3:38 PM (#449725 - in reply to #449699)

yeah just got off the phone with them. they could not let you in for as little as a speeding ticket. its up too the officer, thats if you even get checked. ehh oh well Im goin for it. worst thing that happens is ill have to settle for some MN lakes..
Muskybowl
Posted 7/13/2010 7:00 PM (#449746 - in reply to #449699)

Take out your piercings, cover up any tatooes, take your hat and sunglasses off before pulling up, have your passport signed and ready along with your drivers liscense. If you have any disorderly conducts on your record, they frown upon those too.
Muskie Bob
Posted 7/13/2010 11:15 PM (#449788 - in reply to #449699)

"they could not let you in for as little as a speeding ticket. its up too the officer, "

Wow, I never heard of that before. Sounds like the driver should be the person without any records or tickets. Good luck crossing over.
CASTING55
Posted 7/14/2010 4:58 AM (#449806 - in reply to #449788)

Let us know what happens if you do go,I have been to canada three times and all while in my twentys.we got pulled in 2 out of the 3 times.
stcroixmusky
Posted 7/14/2010 7:54 AM (#449820 - in reply to #449699)

I've always been amazed at how no matter who I go with we will get stopped and torn apart once. I'm 22 and my father is 46. He has a clean record and mine has a disorderly from 3 years ago along with a underage consumption. No matter what we do we will get stopped and we will get questioned and torn down. Such is life.
Josh Smith
Posted 7/14/2010 8:22 AM (#449823 - in reply to #449699)

Yeah, it really is a crap shoot... Everytime I've driven up, (im 29) by myself...i always get interrogated like no other. But when I go with my dad, and he's driving, it's 5 questions and right on thru. What entry point are you going thru? My brother has had some past issues... last year he went up with us and they never asked more than just to see his passport.

So, as crappy as it sounds, it's pretty much about luck as to whether they want to wave you thru or do a thorough checking.
Cheech
Posted 7/14/2010 11:03 AM (#449863 - in reply to #449699)

It's surprising what they know when you approach the station. They have pretty detailed info on the owner of the car, I know that for sure. I suppose they OCR the license plate as you arrive. When I have driven through in a rental car they knew that too, wanted to see the contract and so on.

What surprises me a bit is that when you're up there once or twice a year to fish, why can't you get an easier pass? They saw me and my group this year, last year and the years before that. They clearly know we come to fish and no one has ever been in trouble for anything. But invariable one of the tow vehicles or the boats gets the pull-over and look-through. No biggie, but it takes time.

Good luck.

Edited by Cheech 7/14/2010 11:04 AM
psv
Posted 7/14/2010 11:41 AM (#449871 - in reply to #449699)

I've been in Canada 3 times so far. 2 times by car (French River area) and 1 time by plane (Winnipeg). We never had any issues with Canadian custom ( my partner has pretty fresh DUI record, less then 4 years to be exact). They asked 5 or 6 common questions and let us go, they even didn't asked about alcohol or cigarettes (sure, we had some beer and moonshine with us . We passed Canadian custom around 4:00AM both times in Buffalo/Niagara Falls. Last time we went by plane and we paid around 20$ tax for over limit alcohol and again my partner had no problem at all. BTW, we were fully checked by US custom on the way home from French River second time.

Edited by psv 7/14/2010 11:46 AM