Moon Rise - Sun set
DIZZYHORSE
Posted 7/11/2010 10:00 AM (#449388)
Subject: Moon Rise - Sun set

I'm pretty new to the musky stuff and the solar lunar stuff as well. My gut tells me that if a new moon rise correlates with a sun set I better be chuckin' but all the daily fishing period charts put the fish activity a "poor" during that time. What's up, can anyone explain.
DKMKmuskyman
Posted 7/11/2010 10:42 AM (#449394 - in reply to #449388)
Subject: Re: Moon Rise - Sun set

the more light the moon is giving off the better. your thoughts are right. but your moon phase thought is opposite. the more light there is from the moon the better. full moons and moonrises within 2 hours of sunset are the best times and that is when you need to be on the water
Junkman
Posted 7/12/2010 7:29 AM (#449493 - in reply to #449394)

Most of the time I either fish "when I can" or whatever some event I want to fish is scheduled, so the moon phase is not central to my trip planning. When I retire, it certainly will be. What I can do however, is hit the menu button on the fish finder when I get into the boat, scroll down to "Solunar Tables" and take a look at what might be occuring during that particular day. If there is a moon rise or set while I am on the water, then I want to make certain that I am not driving the boat around sightseeing, stopping off for a drink, or otherwise not being ready to fish during that time. I also want to be in my best spot, with my best bait for twenty minutes on either side of that event. It is also the premium time to return to where a sort of disinterested fish showed himself earlier but with little interest in sitting down for a meal. Truthfully, these times are no where a "sure thing" but on occassion, it really lights them up. Marty Forman
muskyjim123
Posted 7/13/2010 3:39 AM (#449654 - in reply to #449493)

i am a big believer in the john alden knights solunar periods. done better on them than the moon rise/set at times. last year boated 9 of 11 fish in those solunar time periods on eagle lake last year. I second that. definately would spend time with your best bait / best spot.
The Toad
Posted 7/13/2010 8:35 PM (#449764 - in reply to #449654)

I got a watch that sets off an alarm during the peak periods of the day. It has been pretty interesting to see how often we catch a fish and have the alarm go off a short time later, or vice versa. Or to have friends on the water call after catching fish during the same timespan. Doesn't happen every time and fish are caught during off periods too, but it happens enough to make me a believer. Fish hard all the time, but during the peak periods, fish harder. And if you can plan a weekend or trip around peak times, do it.
archerynut36
Posted 7/13/2010 8:50 PM (#449767 - in reply to #449388)

hey toad i didnt think about using a alarm, i also follow the times too the major's and minor's just a few weeks ago we didnt move anything and then boated a fat 44 right on the major mark. i am going to try to use the alarm too. thats a good idea
edalz
Posted 7/13/2010 9:01 PM (#449773 - in reply to #449764)

The Toad - 7/13/2010 8:35 PM

I got a watch that sets off an alarm during the peak periods of the day. It has been pretty interesting to see how often we catch a fish and have the alarm go off a short time later, or vice versa. Or to have friends on the water call after catching fish during the same timespan. Doesn't happen every time and fish are caught during off periods too, but it happens enough to make me a believer. Fish hard all the time, but during the peak periods, fish harder. And if you can plan a weekend or trip around peak times, do it.

Where did you get this watch? What is the make and model? Plead advise.