'93 50hp 3 cyl Merc......sluggish out of the hole
Roughneck1860
Posted 7/4/2010 7:52 PM (#448552)
Subject: '93 50hp 3 cyl Merc......sluggish out of the hole

I have a 1993 3 cylinder 50hp Mercury. I have it on a Lowe Roughneck 1860VT mod-v jon boat. I'm running a 12" 4bld aluminum prop. Dry weight of the boat is around 650lbs. Lately the motor has been real sluggish coming out of the hole and up onto plane. I cleaned the plugs and it made a bit of difference but not much. I checked the compression and its about 107psi on all three cylinders. It used to jump right up on plane with no issues so I'm kind of wondering whats up. Top speed is about the same at 31.8 mph loaded. Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks
Tim
VMS
Posted 7/7/2010 6:46 AM (#448817 - in reply to #448552)
Subject: Re: '93 50hp 3 cyl Merc......sluggish out of the hole

Hiya,

Suggestion....get a can of mercury "powertune" and do a deep clean on the motor. First, get the motor up to running temperature. take off the carb covers so you can access the carb throats.

Start the motor and set it to high idle. spray the power tune alternately into the carb throats...the motor will start to bog down a bit as the cleaner gets in. Continue doing this for a short time or until you can get the motor to kill. If it doesn't kill, just shut the motor off.

Once the motor kills or is off, spray more cleaner into each carb throat so there is some sitting in the bores toward the cylinder, etc. Let it sit for 30 minutes or so.

After the motor has set, take it out and run it at full throttle for a little while. Lots of white smoke to begin with (that is the cleaner burning). Once it is back to normal exhaust output, let the motor cool down and change the plugs out.

Steve
Makintrax73
Posted 7/7/2010 2:10 PM (#448871 - in reply to #448552)
Subject: Re: '93 50hp 3 cyl Merc......sluggish out of the hole

Maybe a lean bog caused by a partially clogged carb circuit, cracked gasket/air leak?