Thoughts on Power Drive
Propster
Posted 6/29/2010 11:11 PM (#448005)
Subject: Thoughts on Power Drive

New model, almost brand new Minnkota Power Drive. I've heard horror stories from some guys on older ones about going through pedals left and right, others have had good luck with them. I'm not as familiar with this model but may have a great deal on one. Is there a definitive answer on these - do they still have problems or are they mostly worry free, or like anything there's a chance you get a lemon? Appreciate anyone's thoughts.
CASTING55
Posted 6/30/2010 2:53 AM (#448013 - in reply to #448005)
Subject: RE: Thoughts on Power Drive

I don`t know about the new ones (v2) but I`ve had 2 older ones and have only gone through 1 foot pedal,I don`t leave mine in the boat I put it in my truck along with my gear when going to and from the lake.I think that leaving it in the boat the foot pedal takes too many bumps while driving down the highway,but they do sell spares so anything could could wrong with them.
Almost-B-Good
Posted 6/30/2010 6:45 AM (#448016 - in reply to #448005)
Subject: RE: Thoughts on Power Drive

I wouldn't even consider it without auto pilot on it. You might as well use cable steering then. Seriously, the auto pilot function is worth that much.

If the price is low enough for the motor that you can't pass, just buy another foot pedal as a spare. You'll probably never use it, but just in case, you'll have it.
VMS
Posted 6/30/2010 6:46 AM (#448017 - in reply to #448005)
Subject: Re: Thoughts on Power Drive

I have a 65 autopilot and my original foot pedal has just been replaced due to overall use. The speed adjustment tab wore down a bit from use, so the motor would not come up to speed as compared to the setting it was on (usually around 4 - 6) most often. Just replaced it and it is all good. 5 years on the pedal before replacement I feel is pretty darn good.

They are easy enough to take apart to clean debris and maybe give the contact surfaces a little lube/layer to help...

steve