A tough landing situation
Still Learning
Posted 6/25/2010 9:30 AM (#447264)
Subject: A tough landing situation

Wondering what some of you do when this happens:

You’re fishing by yourself, so you have to be your own net man. You get a nice, forty-something on and finally get her to the boat and ready to net. So you grab the net with one hand while trying to keep a little tension on the fish so that you can steer her into the net opening, when at the last minute she turns away and you get one of the treble hooks stuck in the netting right about at the frame.

Now you can’t get her in the opening of the net, and you can’t let her go for another shot at it. With my lack of experience at play, I finally ended up lifting her out of the water by the net and lure until I get her over the side of the boat and then grabbed her. I was pretty nervous about getting a hook in me, and was relieved that I didn’t break a rod or net or something. I didn’t like getting her out of the water that way, but felt stuck between a rock and a hard place.

How do you guys handle mishaps like that?
tuffy1
Posted 6/25/2010 9:34 AM (#447265 - in reply to #447264)
Subject: RE: A tough landing situation

In an instance like that, if it's hooked on the net, get rid of your rod (put it in freespool first), then grab the net with both hands and try to reverse the net if you can, or figure out how to get the fish in the bag. Since it's hooked on the net already, you really don't need your rod to control the fish, so getting both hands on the net and trying to see how you can get the fish in the bag will be much easier. Tough to know how to get it in there not knowing where the fish was hooked on the net, but having both hands on the net will make it easier to manuver the fish into the net.
Almost-B-Good
Posted 6/25/2010 10:03 AM (#447270 - in reply to #447264)

Good advice. All you can do is try to reverse the net. I'd put the clicker on in freespool too if I remembered to do it to save on a possible backlash.
Slow Rollin
Posted 6/25/2010 10:22 AM (#447273 - in reply to #447264)

yeah, u gotta reverse that net when hooked on the outside. get that net deep in the water and slowly bring the fish in. by getting it deep in the water before netting you wont hook the outside of the net, especially if your bring the fish in w/ control and its not still thrashing all over. i never try to horse a fish if i am fishing by myself, w/ a netman in the boat you can horse em in a little more.

Edited by Slow Rollin 6/25/2010 10:25 AM
kawartha kid
Posted 6/25/2010 11:22 AM (#447284 - in reply to #447264)
Subject: Re: A tough landing situation

I had this happen several times to me,once this season already.
I try to remove or cut the hook pinning the fish to the net at boatside.I put my reel in freespool and go to work on the fish.
Two things usually occur here,i free the hook from the net and scoup her back up or i free the fish and say good bye to her,either option is fine by me.
I had a fish one time that i calmly unhooked at the side of the net that was free to swim away but just sat there so i lowered the net and gave her a gentle push back into the bag so the fellow i was with could get his pic,we were both laughing,the whole ordeal was kind of comical.
When something like this occurs i try to think of the best option to relaese the fish unharmed,first and foremost.
The Dogger
Posted 6/25/2010 11:48 AM (#447291 - in reply to #447265)

tuffy1 - 6/25/2010 9:34 AM

In an instance like that, if it's hooked on the net, get rid of your rod (put it in freespool first), then grab the net with both hands and try to reverse the net if you can, or figure out how to get the fish in the bag. Since it's hooked on the net already, you really don't need your rod to control the fish, so getting both hands on the net and trying to see how you can get the fish in the bag will be much easier. Tough to know how to get it in there not knowing where the fish was hooked on the net, but having both hands on the net will make it easier to manuver the fish into the net.

Good advice, but I would probably just start prayin'
esoxaddict
Posted 6/25/2010 2:41 PM (#447320 - in reply to #447264)

I'd probably swear a lot...

Not that it would help, but that's what I'd do!
jay lip ripper
Posted 6/25/2010 6:44 PM (#447342 - in reply to #447264)

its had to know what to do but it sounds like you handel it well. you do what you can, i have something like that happen to me twice in a row and both times i just lifted the net and fish out the water. its better to get control of the fish and take them out the water rather then having it thrash around hooked to the net trying to figure out what to do.
JKahler
Posted 6/26/2010 2:07 AM (#447366 - in reply to #447264)

I had that happen to my first and (so far) only 50". It took me 3 tries, but I reversed the net bag and got it in. Out of the 3 trebles on a 10" Believer only one hook was still in the fish!

That is really a helpless feeling though isn't it? I lucked out and my fish didn't start thrashing, it just sat there.
mnmusky101
Posted 6/26/2010 10:26 PM (#447462 - in reply to #447264)

Something like this happened when i was netting a fish for someone else. Of course this is different cause i have two hands on the net. But i pushed the net deep into the water and flipped the fish into the bag. Hope this helps