Lost fish under the boat
Posted 6/23/2010 5:04 PM (#447038)
Subject: Lost fish under the boat

What's the best thing to do when a fish dives under the boat? Iv'e lost more than one fish after what I thought was a good hook set and a decent fight only to get it all the way in and it dives under the boat or straight down and comes off. I don't want to horse them and sometimes they go deep further out and I can keep them on until they get under the boat and the line gets straight up and down and they come off. Yes hooks are sharp and all of that. I don't loose that many fish but the ones I do seem to come off as they get under the boat.
Posted 6/23/2010 5:18 PM (#447042 - in reply to #447038)
Subject: RE: Lost fish under the boat

I have always been a big fan of iniaiting the fight making the fish react to you. Most of the fish that are hooked hit the net in under 15 seconds, sometimes a lot less, i think my quickest has been about 2 seconds from hook up tp it was in the net. I think it makes the fish easier to release when the are put in the net green, just a lot harder to handle in the net. Most people use 8 foot plus rods with 80 pound min. super braid, so why not use all of its potential. This may not be what you were looking for but it is what works for me.
brmusky
Posted 6/24/2010 8:59 AM (#447121 - in reply to #447038)
Subject: Re: Lost fish under the boat

I back my drag off after I have a fish on and if a fish pulls down under the boat, it can take some drag. I can't remember losing a fish by the boat in this manner. Maybe your drag is too tight and the hooks are ripping out of their mouth.
Cowboyhannah
Posted 6/24/2010 11:14 PM (#447226 - in reply to #447121)

I have always LOCKED my drag and relied on freespool at boatside as needed. Not anymore. Lost a nice fish Monday when she went down hard under boat while I had net in one hand (fishing alone) so could not freespool. Pinned my rod to the gunnel leaving me helpless. I will back off drag after a good hookset on nicer fish from now on.
rpieske
Posted 6/25/2010 8:17 AM (#447248 - in reply to #447226)

I think your technique depends on how you hold your rod.  I have a large hand and palm the reel while retrieving.  So I don't have to lock down my drag to get a good hook set.  I just thumb my spool while driving the hooks in.  I keep my drag at a hard level, but never lock it down.  I think you run too many risks by doing that.
Cast
Posted 6/25/2010 9:02 AM (#447259 - in reply to #447038)

1. Walk your rod around the back or front of the boat and finish the fight from the other side.
2. If the fish is straight down, just wait him/her out. He or she will come up with the right pressure. I've actually leaned over the side of my wee boat to see what the heck I had on the line.
PANTLEGGER
Posted 6/25/2010 9:47 AM (#447267 - in reply to #447038)

I do what Guest does.....Go toe to toe with them. Some you win, some you lose.
kawartha kid
Posted 6/25/2010 11:34 AM (#447288 - in reply to #447226)

Cowboyhannah - 6/24/2010 11:14 PM

I have always LOCKED my drag and relied on freespool at boatside as needed. Not anymore. Lost a nice fish Monday when she went down hard under boat while I had net in one hand (fishing alone) so could not freespool. Pinned my rod to the gunnel leaving me helpless. I will back off drag after a good hookset on nicer fish from now on.

Close call right there,a loaded rod contacting the gunnel usually results in a broken rod.Got off lucky there.
To bad you lost the fish but it could have been much worse ie broken rod and lost fish.
ToddM
Posted 6/28/2010 8:29 PM (#447767 - in reply to #447038)

Mnay times when the fish gets to the boat, it can be the first real direction change from your rod tip to your lure, not to mention the most pressure put on the fish. I freespool in that situation. I find it relieves pressure on the lure while keeping tension this way if your hookup is not great for whatever reason, the lure does not come out. When they stop diving you can bring them up pretty quick.