Ontario Outdoor Card and License
Doonan
Posted 6/21/2010 7:18 PM (#446618)
Subject: Ontario Outdoor Card and License

I have an outdoor card from last year. I was thinking I could now order a license online, but I can't find a place to do this. Does any one know the link or if it is possible?
gtp888
Posted 6/21/2010 7:59 PM (#446626 - in reply to #446618)
Subject: RE: Ontario Outdoor Card and License

Hmmm, I thought that was one of the purposes of the Outdoor Card so people could order licenses online.  According to this link, it looks like you have to call the MNR to get one.  http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/en/Business/LetsFish/2ColumnSubPage/STEL02_165323.html  Scroll about halfway down to where it says "Where can I purchase a non-Canadian resident Outdoors Card and fishing licence tag?" 

This link also provides the phone #'s for the MNR offices in Ontario.  http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/en/ContactUs/2ColumnSubPage/STEL02_179002.html

Maybe I'm missing something about the online ordering once you have an Outdoor Card, but I can't seem to find the online ordering link for non-Canadians who have the card. 

Mertot
Posted 6/21/2010 8:27 PM (#446627 - in reply to #446618)
Subject: RE: Ontario Outdoor Card and License

I ran into the same problem; when you click on the Lisense ordering link the only thing you can do there is update your outdoor card and when I enter my number and B-day it says my card is not eligable to be updated yet
I sent the MNR inquiring about the lisense ordering option via the contact us tab --I will post their reply if I actually receive one!
muskie! nut
Posted 6/21/2010 9:42 PM (#446646 - in reply to #446618)
Subject: Re: Ontario Outdoor Card and License

Went up in May and two guys were in and out in about 5 minutes using our outdoor card.

What I find amusing is why you have to have the card once you purchased your permit (aka license). I asked the warden if they had a credit card swiper to aid in ticket writing he said no.
CU301DSV
Posted 6/22/2010 1:37 PM (#446753 - in reply to #446618)

As big as a pain in the a$$ the card is make sure you have it. On the water last weekend and we were stopped by MNR and asked for our licenses, also the canada coast guard were everywhere. The weekend before we spotted MNR on a Kawartha lake but we were not stopped. Last year we were stopped just about every trip we went on and even to different lakes, LSC to G Bay to the Kawartha's. We were even stopped by the Police a couple of times and asked for boat operator's cards, fishing licenses, life jackets etc. etc.
ChinWhiskers
Posted 6/22/2010 6:10 PM (#446812 - in reply to #446753)

What are boat operator's cards, and where do you need them?
Propster
Posted 6/22/2010 8:56 PM (#446836 - in reply to #446618)

My understanding is you need the operator's card for two situations. One is if you will be using your own boat for 45 or more consecutive days in Canada. The other is if you plan to operate a rental or resort's boat in Canada. I also believe that your own state's boat operator's card will suffice if you have one. Minnesota offers a take-at-home course for free that you send in and get your card.
ChinWhiskers
Posted 6/23/2010 12:04 AM (#446870 - in reply to #446836)

Thanks Propster - - - Now I rember going thru this same posting last year you got it right on. We got our outdoor card when we got our Ontario fishing License. they ask us if we had one, and we said no so they sold us ours with our 10 day license. I was more worried about geting a passport card then the outdoor card. when we ask them what the outdoor card was for they said they didn't know they just sell them.
CU301DSV
Posted 6/23/2010 1:35 PM (#446978 - in reply to #446870)

ChinWhiskers - 6/23/2010 1:04 AM

Thanks Propster - - - Now I rember going thru this same posting last year you got it right on. We got our outdoor card when we got our Ontario fishing License.

Your outdoors card is your fishing license. What propster is talking about is the Boat Operators card. They are different.
Slimeball
Posted 6/23/2010 1:51 PM (#446986 - in reply to #446836)

Propster - 6/22/2010 9:56 PM

My understanding is you need the operator's card for two situations. One is if you will be using your own boat for 45 or more consecutive days in Canada. The other is if you plan to operate a rental or resort's boat in Canada. I also believe that your own state's boat operator's card will suffice if you have one. Minnesota offers a take-at-home course for free that you send in and get your card.

A non-resident does not need a pleasure craft operators card if renting a boat from a lodge/resort/marina........
Slimeball
Posted 6/23/2010 2:03 PM (#446990 - in reply to #446978)

CU301DSV - 6/23/2010 2:35 PM

ChinWhiskers - 6/23/2010 1:04 AM

Thanks Propster - - - Now I rember going thru this same posting last year you got it right on. We got our outdoor card when we got our Ontario fishing License.

Your outdoors card is your fishing license. What propster is talking about is the Boat Operators card. They are different.

The Outdoors Card is not a fishing license. You have to have it with you in conjunction with your fishing license.
CU301DSV
Posted 6/23/2010 2:08 PM (#446991 - in reply to #446990)

Yes. The "Outdoors Card" is not your fishing license, it is in conjunction with your fishing license. Basically I show my outdoors card to the MNR or Police when they ask for my fishing license on the water. The "fishing license" part of the outdoors card will either be printed on the back of the Outdoors card for the year or will be a sticker.
2T Critter
Posted 6/23/2010 2:43 PM (#446999 - in reply to #446618)

I just called and got my license in a week. Call the number on the back of the card, (I threw the number away-sorry)they will give you another number to call. Call the other number provide your card number and unless you have moved since you received the card they can access your account. Tell them what type of license you would like, give the a credit card number and presto your license will arrive in no time. They do ask for 4 weeks notice of when you are planning on going to Canada.
Propster
Posted 6/23/2010 10:32 PM (#447088 - in reply to #446618)

"A non-resident does not need a pleasure craft operators card if renting a boat from a lodge/resort/marina........"
Even though the below (2nd point) is stated on one of the government web sites, which would contradict the quote above, I believe Slimeball may be right in that you can substitute for an operators card by filling out and signing a Boat Renters Safety Checklist administered by the outfitter/resort owner.
The Regulations apply to non-residents if:
They operate their pleasure craft in Canadian waters for more than 44 consecutive days or,
They operate a pleasure craft that is licensed or registered in Canada (including rented or chartered boats).