Fishing from a tiller
fishingfrenzy
Posted 6/21/2010 10:44 AM (#446536)
Subject: Fishing from a tiller

Fished from my tiller for the first time this past weekend, and it was quite a bit more difficult to fish a tiller rather than a bow mount. I have a 40 HP Honda I used, and it was terribly difficult to constantly need to adjust the handle, especially mid-cast when the motor started moving too far in. I'm in need of a trolling motor, is it worth it to buy a transom mount or am I better off getting a bowmount?
quackaddict9
Posted 6/21/2010 10:59 AM (#446539 - in reply to #446536)
Subject: Re: Fishing from a tiller

I put my 40# Power Drive bow mount TM on my brother's 14 foot northwood boat and works out well... I believe it's easier to control the boat while casting with a foot pedal than a handle one for back on the boat but I have seen some guys with handles up front that are bow mount and they seem to control the boat easy.
4reukmuskies
Posted 6/21/2010 9:36 PM (#446642 - in reply to #446536)

For casting purposes, you would be much hapier with a bow mount. Buy the highest pound thrust you can afford and you won't be disappointed.

Good Luck,
fishingfrenzy
Posted 6/22/2010 10:09 AM (#446701 - in reply to #446536)

Thanks for the replies guys. Does anyone fish from a tiller? I back-troll walleye a lot and would rather use a tiller, but I do want something that's more hands free.
deafmuskyhunter
Posted 6/22/2010 9:16 PM (#446839 - in reply to #446536)

Last weekend, I saw a guy use 5hp tiller to control his 12' tin boat. All he had to do is stand on back bench and use his foot on handle to control. It was pretty awesome sight to see.
hodaghawg
Posted 6/22/2010 9:21 PM (#446841 - in reply to #446536)

Get used to the tiller and you will love it. Way more room for fishing. Put a big bowmount on and your troubles are over
jakejusa
Posted 6/23/2010 10:36 AM (#446919 - in reply to #446536)
Subject: RE: Fishing from a tiller

"Last weekend, I saw a guy use 5hp tiller to control his 12' tin boat. All he had to do is stand on back bench and use his foot on handle to control. It was pretty awesome sight to see."

We used to fish this way all the time guiding in outposts in Canada. About once a summer one of us would miss the arm and hit the throttle instead. Two choices you can take your chance an stay in the boat by diving for the floor, or you can take the dive and wait for your fishing partner to get it under control. Never had anyone get hurt, but sure changed a mid day slump into a firecracker!
lookin4_big_gurls
Posted 6/23/2010 10:43 AM (#446923 - in reply to #446919)

funny how people make do with what they have i love it... i used to fish out of a 12 foot alumicraft and i built a wooden bow on the little thing and put a bow mount on it that my dad had laying around and it worked out perfect. some guys use transom trolling motors but hands down bow mounts are the best! i have both on my boat now and i dont even keep my transom motor on my boat once in a while if im walleye fishing i will use it but what everyone else said is correct... youy need a foot petal and a bow mount
Mr.Knowitall
Posted 6/27/2010 7:28 AM (#447485 - in reply to #446536)

I've fish from a tiller boat and have been doing so for almost all of my 25 years Muskie fishing. I have both a bowmount and a transom mount electrics on my boat. I like the idea of the tiller because of more room. I have all my electronics set at my steering station plus a graph up front. If you want to stay fishing at the back of the boat go with Power Drive bow mount. I guide and let my clients fish the front of the boat while I control and fish from the rear. I never have to leave my position except to drop the motor or net fish. I use my trans some mount when we get in current or when Walleye fishing. When fishing areas with current I will some times have both my bow mount and transom mount on to keep the boat in the best postion in relation to the area were are casting too. Some days it makes a huge difference.

Cheers
Mr.KIA
Fish Fry Guy
Posted 6/27/2010 10:35 AM (#447497 - in reply to #446536)

I fish out of a tiller, just love to have the extra floorspace. Like was said before, get a bow mounted trolling motor. Another thing that I think gets underused in musky fishing for boat control is a drift sock on windy days. Combined with a trolling motor makes it much more effective when controlling a drift on windy "musky chop" conditions. Just make sure you have the sock on a quick release float clip settup so when you set the hooks, you eliminate chances for getting tangled up with the fish.
CJW
Posted 6/27/2010 9:51 PM (#447576 - in reply to #447497)

I have a "tiller" trolling motor on my boat, but it's mounted on the bow. I took the screw out and turned the handle around and made a plywood/2x4 mount that bolts to the bow. I set the speed and can control the direction with my knee. I use what I have.

Having said this, I'm starting to look into foot controlled bow mount trolling motors. On windy days it can be a pain, if you want to change speeds you have to take one hand off of the rod which means it's hard to do it mid retrieve because I might have a fish following and a pause can deter a musky.

I did try it mounted as a tiller but I find it takes more battery to push the boat than to pull it and doesn't control the boat as well.

My $0.2!