Magnum Rat L' Trap
adudeuknow
Posted 6/20/2010 10:52 AM (#446416)
Subject: Magnum Rat L' Trap

i have caught quite a few musky over the years on 1/2 oz baits when fishin for other fish. has anyone here ever used the biggest ones and had success for musky???i think they are around 3 ounces. they got a heck of a loud rattle, i do know that.
firstsixfeet
Posted 6/20/2010 11:33 AM (#446418 - in reply to #446416)
Subject: Re: Magnum Rat L' Trap

My experience with them is that they are a pretty crappy bait. You have to crank like heck to make them work.

I have heard of people trolling with them, but I would bet there are better trolling baits too. Jigging? Maybe, but my usage leaves me thinking, mine is for sale.
leech lake strain
Posted 6/20/2010 12:59 PM (#446427 - in reply to #446416)
Subject: RE: Magnum Rat L' Trap

yah I got an old firetiger works well in deeper stained waters, caught mostly pike on them. Never caught a small fish. There may be a time and place for them but in my opinion there are better baits to use!
CASTING55
Posted 6/21/2010 12:47 PM (#446563 - in reply to #446427)

they work early in the year and also on lakes that have smaller bait fish from my experiences,the fish normally hit when you ripem and let them fall
jakejusa
Posted 6/21/2010 1:09 PM (#446567 - in reply to #446416)

From the old days I have been a Rat-L - Trap freak. The 1/4 oz has put many a walleye in the pan. The 1/2 oz. has helped cash many checks in bass tournaments. The 3/4 has caught Musky and Pike. But that giant one no matter how much I want it to work has not produced a fish for me. I've tried all the retreives, all of the speeds, and they just do not eat these for me. I have different colors, done it all. Very effective bait to cover water....just have not caught fish on that big one. This is most likely the last year they are used as a lure. Had a guy from Canada in the boat that used the hookless body in line on his trolling rig. He swore he caught fish that way , but not the day we fished together. ??